New caravan just 18 mths old. Missed service last year. Only used 6 times so far and service charge quoted just under £400.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Does anyone know if mobile service engineers can normally come on caravan club sites to service? We do not have the room at home for caravan.

Mar 6, 2022
Visit site
We use a guy which services caravan at home but he will go to storage sites and he’ll go to campsites as he’s says if it’s in his area which he’s happy to cover and he’s getting paid it doesn’t mater to him wherever he does the service just bare in mind if you get someone who will come out to service your van make sure it’s on good hard ground for jacking up purposes some of the mobile ones will have air bags to jack up caravan like ours does but not all of them will I would of thought just something to think about when arranging someone to come out 👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We used to book a CL for the service to be done. It should not matter whether you have missed a service or three as the cost should be the same. Our dealer charges £250 for servicing a twin axle caravan.
As per your headline, I think £400 is way over the top. Why are they quoting so much extra?
However you no longer have a warranty on your caravan if it was bought from new so any warranty jobs, there may be a cost.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling the club sites or private sites might not be happy. But, as suggested, just book a CL/CS. And please do not pay silly money for a service.

Where do you live? Members may be able to suggest alternatives. For example. I had two AWS mobile engineers I could use. One I did not like and would not use them again. The other was great. But packed up this year. He has joined forces with a motorhome hire company in Cheltenham called M5. Saying he is getting too old and needs the use of a roof and lift. I take mine there tomorrow after cancelling my slot last week due to illness. They rearranged quickly and were sympathetic with me.

I would prefer the service to be done at storage or at home to save travel, but I want him to do it, so that’s the way it is.

John

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
As per your headline, I think £400 is way over the top. Why are they quoting so much extra?
However you no longer have a warranty on your caravan if it was bought from new so any warranty jobs, there may be a cost.

I think Buckman has touched on the reason why you have been quoted £400.
As I understand it, to comply with the T&C‘s of your caravan warranty you have to have an annual service done by an AWS member. Therefore, as you have missed a service your warranty may well be void. However, maybe the £400 service will cover your missed one and reinstate your warranty. I’d check to see if this is the case and then you can decide if it’s worth the extra. It really depends on how much you value the warranty and the affect not having one may have on future resale value.
During the COVID pandemic I was hardly able to use my caravan and it only actually travelled about 250 miles between services. However, the servicing cost didn’t reflect this, I just paid up.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As I understand it, to comply with the T&C‘s of your caravan warranty you have to have an annual service done by an AWS member. Therefore, as you have missed a service your warranty may well be void. However, maybe the £400 service will cover your missed one and reinstate your warranty. I’d check to see if this is the case and then you can decide if it’s worth the extra. It really depends on how much you value the warranty and the affect not having one may have on future resale value.

A service is a service is a service. If the excess charge is for a specific reason then this should be clearly identified. The OP should be able to ‘blame’ covid for the delay. Manufacturers were being lenient with this.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A service is a service is a service. If the excess charge is for a specific reason then this should be clearly identified. The OP should be able to ‘blame’ covid for the delay. Manufacturers were being lenient with this.

John
Best the OP contacts the manufacturer, but wasn’t the flexibility fairly limited for 2020 and 2021. I suspect the OP is well beyond the flexibility period. Usage isn’t really relevant and the OP does not say why the service was missed. If the warranty cannot be reinstated then not only will the OP lose warranty support, but the resale value of the caravan will be affected.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
During the COVID pandemic I was hardly able to use my caravan and it only actually travelled about 250 miles between services. However, the servicing cost didn’t take this into account. It’s just another way to get money out of your pocket.

In the last two years one of the cars has travelled relatively few miles but it has had to be serviced to maintain its 7 year makers warranty. Servicing cost was exactly the same when it did 2000 miles compared to a 10000 mile service. So I wouldn’t expect caravan makers servicing requirements to change dependant on usage of the caravan.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Best the OP contacts the manufacturer, but wasn’t the flexibility fairly limited for 2020 and 2021. I suspect the OP is well beyond the flexibility period. Usage isn’t really relevant and the OP does not say why the service was missed. If the warranty cannot be reinstated then not only will the OP lose warranty support, but the resale value of the caravan will be affected.

I agree, but nothing ventured as they say. The OP could argue that the was a massive backlog to catch up with servicing.

John

Reactions: Paullus1959
Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
My caravan is in storage at a Caravan & Motor Home club site. They allowed a service engineer to service the van on site but insisted that I remain on site whilst the service was being carried out.
As a matter of interest my van is a 2018 single axle and the service cost was £220.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. All has helped. I had not considered a CL site. As a novice to caravanning did not think would encounter such a price difference for a single axle caravan especially approaching the £400 mark. Thanks again all.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our storage area in the south West Midlands also has a National Caravan Council Approved Workshop Scheme workshop on site who can do the service, but we prefer using another AWS technician. We are lucky as numerous CLs and a CAMC site close by.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
£400 seems steep -we paid just over £350 main dealer for our TA and that included motormover service I think. Wonder what 's included at that price?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
£400 seems steep -we paid just over £350 main dealer for our TA and that included motormover service I think. Wonder what 's included at that price?
At £350 that is quite high. At a service the only real servicing they do is the running gear which at the most takes about an hour. Next is the damp check which is also about an hour. All the rest is only habitation checks even for gas, electric and water.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I pay an AWS guy £220 for a full habitation check and service, No service of gas heater of fridge just gas checks, I do know of a friend who does his own checks, But he has no intention of selling his caravan, I have never thought before, about the insurance for the caravan. My last years insurance stated it had to be serviced, but this year it doesn't state that any more. Just that is in good condition and maintained. !!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have just Emailed, my Service engineer, for a slot to be done at our storage site, last year was £180 as I chose not to do the brakes as to diminished usage the previous year, It will be interesting to see what the cost is this year. Only done about 1000, miles since the last service. 😣

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our van was on a Caravan and Motorhome club Seasonal/Storage site and they had a list who was recommended Mobile caravan engineer (AWS) he advise us to have a Habitation Service because we had no intention of moving it at that time we paid £250

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are on a CAMH site and they allowed servicing only outside of the storage area on a spare section of roadway. as long as you tell the wardens and book it in. The sign on the entrance to the storage area had gone last time I went in but I did not see the wardens to ask if there was any change but will do so when I next see them.
The reasoning for not having allowed work inside was that some caravans had been damaged and they thought this was the problem.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have just Emailed, my Service engineer, for a slot to be done at our storage site, last year was £180 as I chose not to do the brakes as to diminished usage the previous year, It will be interesting to see what the cost is this year. Only done about 1000, miles since the last service. 😣
A reply from the service engineer this evening, and I have the caravan booked in for the 12th of MAY, late morning. So he is fairly busy, which is a good sign for him.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A reply from the service engineer this evening, and I have the caravan booked in for the 12th of MAY, late morning. So he is fairly busy, which is a good sign for him.

Just had mine serviced today. Pick up and pay tomorrow. My AWS mobile who I like and trust has now teamed up with a Motorhome hire company and works from their well equipped premises in Cheltenham. More expensive for me in travel, but he does a great job. For a single axle it has gone up to £250. But my choice.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just had mine serviced today. Pick up and pay tomorrow. My AWS mobile who I like and trust has now teamed up with a Motorhome hire company and works from their well equipped premises in Cheltenham. More expensive for me in travel, but he does a great job. For a single axle it has gone up to £250. But my choice.

John
My lad, Mark, from Caravan Medic, told me last year in Feburary to book him for this year, but I thought, no need, I was wrong. Not sure of the price, but thats irrelevent.
The previous one I used for a service, I looked at his tools, and the state of his van, and that was the last time I used him. This lad is very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts