New caravan owner-Eliddis Avante 840-What awning and flooring for seasonal pitch?

Jan 20, 2024
Visit site
Hi all

I have just bought and Eliddis Avante 840 touring caravan which is going on a seasonal pitch in March.

What type of awning and flooring should I buy?

I would something thats not too difficult to erect and dismantle.

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions
:D

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
As far as an awning is concerned are you looking at new, or used (used are about and at this time of year you coukd find a bargain on ebay etc.
What's your budget?
Most important is don't even think of an air awning, you need a poled one.
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for and that holds very true for awnings. The ultimate are Isabella, and their prices certainly reflect that (some are over £3k) then there are other makes such as Dorema and so on. Asking which one you should get is like asking what bed you should buy for your home, it's a highly personal thing.
If looking for a new one try and find a showroom that has the erected so you can see the various makes and designs.
The same really goes for the awning flooring. There is awning "carpet" which isn't carpet at all but basically perforated plastic sheeting. Again price dictates the quality, if laid on shigle or similar thats not very kind on your feet. So if onntgat sort of surface some people use interlocking plastic foam "tiles" for awning flooring. Some people go the whole hog and lay paving slabs! Or choose something between the options.

My advice would be to not be in too much of a hurry, think very carefully about what you want, and how much you are prepared to spend, look at all the various options that are available, if possible "in the flesh" and decide from there but DONT RUSH
Good luck and good hunting.

Jan 20, 2024
Visit site
As far as an awning is concerned are you looking at new, or used (used are about and at this time of year you coukd find a bargain on ebay etc.
What's your budget?
Most important is don't even think of an air awning, you need a poled one.
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for and that holds very true for awnings. The ultimate are Isabella, and their prices certainly reflect that (some are over £3k) then there are other makes such as Dorema and so on. Asking which one you should get is like asking what bed you should buy for your home, it's a highly personal thing.
If looking for a new one try and find a showroom that has the erected so you can see the various makes and designs.
The same really goes for the awning flooring. There is awning "carpet" which isn't carpet at all but basically perforated plastic sheeting. Again price dictates the quality, if laid on shigle or similar thats not very kind on your feet. So if onntgat sort of surface some people use interlocking plastic foam "tiles" for awning flooring. Some people go the whole hog and lay paving slabs! Or choose something between the options.

My advice would be to not be in too much of a hurry, think very carefully about what you want, and how much you are prepared to spend, look at all the various options that are available, if possible "in the flesh" and decide from there but DONT RUSH
Good luck and good hunting.
Hi there

Thank you for your reply,

I have been looking for quite some time and everyone has a different opinion as with most things I guess lol. Budget isn't really an issue but I'm trying to get it right first time if possible.

We're setting up on our pitch in early March so obviously want to be ready for then.

Thanks again

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Isabella is the gold standard for seasonal. However Walker awnings are worth a look ( we had one), also Dorema. But if you have the dosh, go Isabella.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I assume that your seasonal pitch is a hard standing. If not you will need a breathable flooring and even that may require to be lifted when not on site. And before I’m shot down in flames there are some sites that do have seasonal pitches on grass. When we booked for 2020 we could have had hard or grass. But Covid scotched that one.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Seasonal means your awning needs to withstand everything the British weather can throw at it especially when you are not there! You are pitching in the U.K.?
As said above there is no substitute for an Isabella with carbon fibre poles. The quality starts with the materials, the design of the structure and the method of pegging including internal storm straps, not the silly ones thrown over the roof.

How portable do you want the floor? I assume as it’s seasonal there will be no restrictions on the ground sheet flooring used?
Flexi interlocking plasticky rubbery floor tiles work well . Available most places including Aldi and Lidl occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_6101.jpeg
    IMG_6101.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most modern awnings don’t require storm straps to be thrown over the roof they have integrated connectors on the outside front corners. Plus it’s not difficult to rig internal storm straps like Isabella do on other awnings. I did it on my full size Dorema. But there’s no doubt Isabella are tops for quality and also spares are readily available. If budgets don’t stretch to brand new do what we did and bought a pristine Isabella Magnum from a CMHC member who was giving up caravanning. CMHC classifieds was the source.

Reactions: Mark T
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I agree that Isabella is the ultimate quality I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ventura awnings - they're owned by Isabella and use similar designs but with a lower specification and consequently lower price.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most modern awnings don’t require storm straps to be thrown over the roof they have integrated connectors on the outside front corners. Plus it’s not difficult to rig internal storm straps like Isabella do on other awnings. I did it on my full size Dorema. But there’s no doubt Isabella are tops for quality and also spares are readily available. If budgets don’t stretch to brand new do what we did and bought a pristine Isabella Magnum from a CMHC member who was giving up caravanning. CMHC classifieds was the source.
The point with an Isabella is the lack of external guy lines. Less trip hazard. The Izzy storm fixings are designed into the way the frame supports and spreads the canvas load. Are all awnings the same🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The point with an Isabella is the lack of external guy lines. Less trip hazard. The Izzy storm fixings are designed into the way the frame supports and spreads the canvas load. Are all awnings the same🤔
No idea but I used the Isabella approach on a Dorema full size and I was quite happy with how any loads were taken by the fibre poles. From memory there was a thread in awning tie downs and I think Mel may have used a similar “Isabella approach”.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No idea but I used the Isabella approach on a Dorema full size and I was quite happy with how any loads were taken by the fibre poles. From memory there was a thread in awning tie downs and I think Mel may have used a similar “Isabella approach”.
If I recall the discussion was about the cost of the Isabella ratchet and web system which is not cheap. From time to time Aldi and Lidl sell the same looking ratchett system that when used on the Izzy with an 18:” stake should secure the frame .I can’t talk for others but can say the Izzy uses a system whereby the canvas is actually tension secured to the frame hence the reason they use internal storm straps. Perhaps others do the same system?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If I recall the discussion was about the cost of the Isabella ratchet and web system which is not cheap. From time to time Aldi and Lidl sell the same looking ratchett system that when used on the Izzy with an 18:” stake should secure the frame .I can’t talk for others but can say the Izzy uses a system whereby the canvas is actually tension secured to the frame hence the reason they use internal storm straps. Perhaps others do the same system?
There was also a discussion on using buckle straps across awnings to resist any deformation caused by rain puddling on top, or snow build up before clearing it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I also used the Isabella approach on my Dorema full size awning with no problems in the middle of Dartmoor, but mine was on steel poles.

A further bit of advice would be extra roof poles which I also purchased and used.

Further more I would advise you to check with the site what there terms and conditions are, indeed I was reading only last night that one site would only allow slabs inside the awning, no wooden construction and excavating the ground was a big no no!! (Why would you!!)

They also state extra roof poles WILL be required at every 20 to 24 inches .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We used load straps from Halfords at a fraction of the Isabella price.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure only Isabella will do, but you certainly need a good one so it will be costly. Dorema, Bradcot and several others will also be worth looking at. If it is being left up then storm straps should be used.
The advantage of fibre poles over steel seems to be more to do with the weight rather than anything else and both should work.
If you have a hard standing the solid or interlocking tiles sold by most dealers are good. If the awning is stood on grass you need a breathable fabric and it is best to take this up when you are not using the caravan, as other wise it will turn into a muddy mess underneath, There are some tiles sold in a grating form which could also work on a grass pitch. I would speak to the site before buying to see what they allow.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am not sure only Isabella will do, but you certainly need a good one so it will be costly. Dorema, Bradcot and several others will also be worth looking at. If it is being left up then storm straps should be used.
The advantage of fibre poles over steel seems to be more to do with the weight rather than anything else and both should work.
If you have a hard standing the solid or interlocking tiles sold by most dealers are good. If the awning is stood on grass you need a breathable fabric and it is best to take this up when you are not using the caravan, as other wise it will turn into a muddy mess underneath, There are some tiles sold in a grating form which could also work on a grass pitch. I would speak to the site before buying to see what they allow.
If on a seasonal pitch weight of poles should not be an issue and steel poles are more robust in all sorts of weather. We had a blue seasonal Dorema full size awning on our seasonal pitch, but after a year the colour faded and gradually it turned green in colour. LOL! While under warranty one of the zips broke, but good customer service. We would. buy another Dorema.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Yes she did. Ratchet straps from Aldi, on a Walker steel poled awning. Worked well.
mel

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we were seasonal the owner supplied us with pallets for the floor on our hard standing pitch and at that time we had a Outdoor compactalite pro carbon Ex awning we brought some extras roof pole , pad pole and awning tie down straps .we had no problems .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts