New caravan problems

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
We put a deposit on a new caravan that was not even built at the caravan and boat show in Febuary the one on display was 100 mm longer than the production caravan.

at the end of June we collected our new caravan from south yorkshire travelling ten miles to a stop over site provided by the dealers

problem 1 covers fell off the speakers in the cupboards

travlling home problem 2 catches on drawers broke

problem 3 drawer unit between bed in lounge fell apart

problem 4 kitchen work surface bending leaving large gap

problem 5 shower drain not connected in the floor waste water in the floor

and so the faults go on and on

we contacted the manufacturer the contact person said it will have to come back to the factory take all the soft furnishings out and bring it back to south yorkshire

i said this would be very inconvienient (taking a day round trip)he said they would not collect.

for the very bad manufacturing of this caravan i was supposed to take 2 days off work so they could repair all 17 faults

we have used this £ 18000 caravan for 11 nights only

we have written to the dealer and the manufacturer and said we are refusing this caravan as its not fit for use and is not of quality for the purchase price.

moral of this story don't buy untill its well tried and then think some more.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Horrific.

Name and Shame the Manufacturer and Dealer.

This is exactly the sort of post that P/C should NOT delete, because by doing so they encourage and support these shoddy manufacturers, and couldn't care less dealers to get away with murder.

It's also exactly why we have just ordered OUR new van from abroad, and not from a British manufacturer.

We'd NEVER buy a British van again.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Horrific.

This is exactly the sort of post that P/C should NOT delete, because by doing so they encourage and support these shoddy manufacturers, and couldn't care less dealers to get away with murder.

It's also exactly why we have just ordered OUR new van from abroad, and not from a British manufacturer.

Kieth i am now in the same frame of mind unfortunatly i cannot tell you who the manufacturer is or the dealer

what i can tell you is they are not a million miles from a very large suspension bridge in south yorkshire and if you look at the floor plans at the forth comming caravan and motor home show they are next to each other

thanks for your support

Neville

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kieth i am now in the same frame of mind unfortunatly i cannot tell you who the manufacturer is or the dealer

what i can tell you is they are not a million miles from a very large suspension bridge in south yorkshire and if you look at the floor plans at the forth comming caravan and motor home show they are next to each other

thanks for your support

Neville
Personally, I'd take this to a solicitor. It's disgraceful.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Well we have taken delivery of our 4th new Bailey on the trot and this one is perfect. The other 3 have been fine, apart from the last one needing a new front. I wasn't best pleased about that but it was replaced within weeks. Good stuff considering we live at the opposite end of the country from the Bailey factory.

I have never found a continental 'van I could live with, unless Eriba decide to do a 'van without the pop-top, but then that would kinda defeat the purpose of these 'vans!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Fab,

So glad that your van is okay, we have been out twice towing our series 5 ranger 460/4, not sure whether you had the spray taps in your old ranger , but be carefull when you put the washing up liquid in your bowl as when we first did it we had foam everywhere , we now put the liquid in when the bowl has the correct amount of water.We find the all in one front window gives us terrific views, Did you manage to get your half flyscreen door fitted, We are going to buy the new Ultra awning which gives you a flyscreen as part of the awning door.

Royston

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi Royston

No we didn't get the flyscreen fitted on the door YET, the dealer has one on order for us. The taps are the same as our 05 Ranger so we are used to them now.

Haven't used it yet because our 05 Astra has imploded!!! So we are without a towcar at the minute, though hopefully this will be sorted out tomorrow. We were supposed to be away this week but this put a stop to that.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Horrific.

Continuing my quest for a decent caravan for my hard earned money, I went to the caravan and motor home show on thursday not meny people there ( more reps than buyers)

I could not find a caravan that was not built with anything other than tinsle and plastic.

one caravan stood above the rest and that was Geist

all the doors closed with a nice solid feel

went into a popular makers caravan and the shower door was hanging off

can anybody tell me why the german vans are cheeper than ours in the same spec,

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
We also purchased a new caravan in May this year a Swift and it's can a new jockey wheel, a new DVD player, the kitchen side has bubbled and needs replacing, the microwave came out in transit and needs replacing, the toilet has had to be fixed. The battery leaked so a repray job has had to be done, the battery leaked again so they have said that the battery charger needs replacing and again respray and repair work needs undertaking. Then theres all the minor faults like the roll out cupboard falling off it's rollers and braking. The eyelets not being installed on the awning strip, no stoppers fixed on the ends of the curtain rails, stitching coming undone, DVD sockets coming loose. I could go on for a lot lot longer ! but the best thing is the dealer wants me to let him fix these faults as he can't guarantee that another swift caravan will not have similar faults, and thats his words not mine. I'm buying german next time !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts