New Caravan questions about Gas

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi I`m picking up my new caravan tomorrow a Bailey Ranger 540/6, Just wondering what type of gas should I buy for this caravan, and also does the gas attachment come with a new caravan, or do I have to fit it myself?

Also whats peoples thoughts on the Light weight plastic ones?

Cheers for any advice

Pete

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Congratulations on your new caravan.

I use my caravan all year round so use propane.

If you only intend to use the van in the summer use butane.

Butane does not work very well at temps below 5 degrees C.

If you are buying a brand new van, the dealer should ask you what gas you are going to use then give you the propper conector for the onboard regulator.

If you are buying an older van you may have to buy your own regulator unless you can persuade the dealer to give you one in the deal.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I've been using BP gaslight for the past two years, very lightweight so a great help with the nose weight. You can see what's left, they use clip on adapters so you don't need a spanner to change the cylinder - the dealer should supply you with the correct adaptor/pigtail when you buy your new van. Homebase supply BP gaslight so its fairly easy to get hold of (not quite as easy as calor though) and coz its plastic they dont go rusty. And as an aside, in a fire they just burn, whereas steel cylinders explode.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
And as an aside, in a fire they just burn, whereas steel cylinders explode.

Dave,

Any pressurised container subjected to heat will explode. When the contents expand some thing has got to give. And even if the cylinder was to burn once the leaking gas ignites you are going to get one hell of a flash

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi

"Plastic" gas bottles have been in use in Holland for quite a few years now - and they do what you expect - they are lightweight and you can see the contents.

In a fire (in a video of a staged test) the plastic and steel react similarly but with subtle differences.

A steel bottle in a serious fire will fail after it has reached a high enough temperature - most probably the valve assembly fails or the bottle wall splits. The LPG contents are released, ignite in the fire, and a very large fireball ensues.

The plastic bottle may just possibly fail sooner, but the exact same fireball will ensue.

Neither will be a real explosion, the released gas doesn't get a chance to really mix with the surrounding air before it ignites, but if you are too close you won't notice the difference.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts