New diesel Honda CR-V Automatic

Sep 11, 2007
Visit site
Having started cravanning 2 years ago with a manual CR-V I was delighted to see Honda have launched an automatic 2.2 Diesel CR-V. particularly as so many recommend towing with automatics. Sadly Honda have restricted their new autos to a max of 1500kg for towing compared with the manual at 2000kg. This seems rather a drastic reduction between the auto and the manual and as our caravan is 1500kg plus I guess it will have to be the manual version! Is there usually such a big reduction on automatics' towing limits?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The auto has to be designed to cope with over 250 pound feet of torque, and then theirs the gear oil cooling.

If i recall correctly the xtrail auto is only 1350 kg tow load, and not available with the 171 bhp engine.

I guess the auto is catering for the solo motorist, rather than the towcar.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am/was interested in the new auto version of the CR-V, but was also dissapointed that the towing limit has been reduced. I could cope as I only tow some 1390 kg, but feel happier with the higher 2000kg margin. A shame really, because if there is one thing that I am not overwhelmed with on the current model, it is the 6 speed manual box.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

I've got the CR-V diesel auto here at the moment. Still a great car and its surprising how different it looks with more of the bumpers and trim are in body colour - freshens up the looks a lot. It drives really well, is noticeably quieter than the previous diesel engine ( this has the D-TEC from the new Accord ) and once we tow something with it, I'm sure we'll find those little boosts in power and torque will be handy.

As you say, shame the towing limit has been lowered because in all other respects, it's got the makings of a top tug. I'll get David Motton to find out the reason for the drop in Max Tow when he writes it up for the magazine.

Cheers

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps if I find my dream 2 berth, end kitchen, lined washroom L-shaped lounge caravan, I'll trade in our Honda CR-V (Manual) for one of these autos. They look quite smart and if towing a smaller van it should be a very safe outfit.

Denise

Sep 11, 2007
Visit site
Nigel - Thanks for the information I will look forward to the report when published. We have a new Lunar Clubman SE on order so with a MTPLM of 1490kg if I were to change to the auto versiion of the CR-V I would be very close to the limit. Honda have already advised against exceeding the 1500kg for legal and insurance and invalidating the warrenty reasons!

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
David R.

The max tow is calculated on based on the maximum weight the car can safely pull up a slope (12% I think). Seeing as your Lunar weighs less than the max, and given that it's around a 75% match for the kerbweight, I'm sure it would tow your van beautifully. I know what you mean though, about having a bit more margin! Good to see the noseweight is still 100kg too.

I'll report back if Motty uncovers anything interesting in his test.

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
There is no hard and fast rule as the Volvo XC60 has higher tow weights (and nose weights) with auto rather than manuals....

The 120 bhp Zafira diesel can also tow more than the manual.

A 1500kg tow weight with 100kg nose weight is good for most single axles.

Nigel - can you confirm that it can tow 1500kg when the car is loaded fully or are honda being sneaky like Renault and Citroen?

Thanks

Alan

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
A lot of it is based on the level of engineering around the autobox. For example, how much fluid it holds, the size of the brake bands, the size of the cooler and the size of the torque converter.

A lot of people don't understand how auto's work internally which leads them to believe the thing is maintenance free. It isn't. Fluid gets hot and can become tarry and burnt. Filters need changing and in bad cases it is sometimes necessary to adjust the brake bands.

Clearly all these factors can be addressed with modifications and extra maintenance but this depends on how badly you want the auto. Personally I wouldn't go back to a manual for anything.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just read the review by Autocar on the re-vamped CR-V auto.... not good to say the least. It will be interesting to see what PC make of it, but on the basis of what I've just read, it would seem that the manual is the one go for/stick with. ( So long as Honda has made the gear box a little bit easier to live with)

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
duncan, i have the santa fe mk 2 2.2 cdx 7 auto and the kerb weight is 1893kg and the max tow ball is 80kg with self lev suspension. we always check the nose weight before we set off and its no more than 80kg. we are towing at approx 85% roughly and we own a twin axel bailey senator wyoming 2008 model.

my in laws have an 09 honda crv manual and they tow a small 2 berth approx 1300kg no problems.

jo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What does Zafiral mean by Citreon and Renault being sneaky? Surely if you know the kerbweight, gross vehicle weight, MTPLM and max braked towing weight then you can figure out the respective safe loads. Not forgetting the 85-100% rule too.Can someone please explain.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen any sneakiness from Citroen but I know what he means from Renault and even (dare I say it), Vauxhall. In their technical data on the Zafira it states :-

"The maximum towing weights are based on the ability of the car, with two occupants of 75kg each, to restart on a 12% gradient, which is approximately 1 in 8.3, at sea level. At altitudes above 1500 metres, the engine output may drop with a corresponding reduction in towing capability. Any extra weight, such as luggage or additional passengers, should be deducted from the maximum towing weight."

This is possibly fair enough but I believe the Renault have similar small print but not relating it to altitude.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Every towcar i have owned, always gives conditions in the towing data, re the towing weight sometimes two incline tow weights are provided.

Drivers who ignore the 85% guide and tow at 100%, must ensure the towcar has adequate power to tow.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
When the towing weights are stated clearly there is no problem. my old C5 had 1700 and 1600 for two different max. inclines, both clearly stated, and not significantly different. But some manufacturers quote one weght and then have an addendum in miniscule print some pages later. The deductions in the case of the Zafira could amount to a very significant 500kg, so the 85% guide is irrelevant. It's probably not a legal limit but as I don't know for certain it would put me off any cars that do not state unequivocally that the towing limit is greater than the MTPLM of my van.

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
I understand the sneakiness by Renault was that the gross train weight was less than the sum of (the gross weight of the car + the maximum allowed weight of the trailer). ie. the car might be rated to tow 1500kg with only the driver in the car, but might only be rated to tow 1100kg if the car was loaded.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Timothy, that is the point exactly, and to my knowledge the main legal one. The most important figure for me is the Gross Train Weight. Regardless of Vauxhall's figures for various gradients, the GTW is 1575 higher than the GVW for my Zafira.

Unless you want to go over the very steepest mountain passes (and I would be more concerned about the ability of the drum brakes on the caravan to cope on the way back down!!), the GTW is my gospel.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
duncan, i have the santa fe mk 2 2.2 cdx 7 auto and the kerb weight is 1893kg and the max tow ball is 80kg with self lev suspension. we always check the nose weight before we set off and its no more than 80kg. we are towing at approx 85% roughly and we own a twin axel bailey senator wyoming 2008 model.

my in laws have an 09 honda crv manual and they tow a small 2 berth approx 1300kg no problems.

jo
hi jo i was just stating that the maximum towing on the santa fe is 5ookgs less on the auto than on the manual according to the technical literature

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts