New entry-level range from Lunar

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Dear all - news from Lunar that I thought might be of interest

**PASTED FROM HOME PAGE OF THE WEBSITE***

LUNAR CARAVANS IS grabbing a stake in the entry level caravan market with the launch of an all-new brand.

Venus is a range of lightweight, compact and affordable caravans which the Preston-based manufacturer says are very different from sister products in the Lunar stable.

Light, bright and breezy
According to Lunar, the Venus models are aimed at caravanners wanting compact, lightweight caravans which are good value and easy to handle, whether on short breaks or touring holidays.

At launch, the range comprises four single-axle layouts. Two and four berth models are available and there is a fixed-bed option for those that want it. Maximum weights for the range start at under 900kg.

Very different market
Sales and Marketing Director for the Venus brand, Martin Henderson, says “Venus Caravans has been developed to appeal to a very different market to the one served by our existing Lunar brand. There has been a substantial growth in the popularity of 2 berth and fixed bed caravans that are affordable, compact, and lightweight. We are, therefore, extremely excited to put 40 years of expertise into this new caravan brand. We are confident that Venus Caravans will be the lightest, most compact and most practical value for money caravans available in the market place.

Venus launches at the Motorhome, Caravan, and Camping show, at ExCel on 14-19 February 2011. For tickets to the show, click here

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Well done Lunar for having a go. Shame nothing there for a family of five with two dowgs. I fully understand the economics of why Lunar, Bailey and Elddis are doing this, I just wish we could jump on the bandwagon and downsize! Maybe one day??

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
"The 8m body length of the Retreat means it can only be legally towed in the UK by a commercial vehicle. So unless you are truck driver, you won't be taking your Retreat anywhere and it must be professionally moved."

You don't need to be a truck driver to tow a Retreat as pre-1997 drivers also have C1+E group on their licence.
You will of course need a C1 vehicle, ie over 3501kg MAW.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some caravanners buy US-type pickups specifically so they can legally tow oversized caravans - Ford F-series and Dodge Ram are examples http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_F-350_Power_Stroke_%28Hudson%29.JPG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2011-06-11_14.29.05.jpg

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I like the look, weight, and price, of the 490/4 with fixed bed and rear bathroom! Can't wait to see one in the flesh. It could even tempt us away from our trusty old Speedbird 490!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I like the look of the 490/4 which could be a suitable replacement for our Bailey S5 Bordeaux. We have often been to shows and dealers looking to change the van when it came out of warranty but came away disappointed that nothing met our needs. The Bailey is 7m long inside with fixed bed, underseat lockers with front access. Comfy but no unecessary frills and with a 250kg payload ( was uprated) all within 1400kg MTPLM. Will look at Lunars with some interest.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Great to see! I like the look of them. The only concern I have is that Lunar have lost their way a bit. They aren't much lighter (if at all)than many of their other competitors. Take for example the Elddis Xplore 302, 304 and 452's....they are all lighter than the Lunar equivilent, better specced and look much more modern and exciting. The tiny 300 they have in the Venus range isn't all that light when you think about it. I thought we were going to see some ground breaking weight reductions down to around 600kg's for a van of this size.
It seems the days are gone were Lunar were a huge deal lighter than their competitors which is a bit of a shame. Still the Venus range is a step forward, just not a 'leap'.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't think we'll be changing our entry level Coachman for an entry level Lunar. Not sure what looks worse the inside or the outside. Not for us I'm afraid, having said all that would certainly put it above anything the Bristol manufacturer has to offer, so not all doom and gloom from here.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I like the single front window (which is what we have now), the flat lockers ( why bother with frills) and the modern look of the whole van.
We're amongst that weird minority who like the simplicity of continental vans, and would still prefer a really basic van without a heavy oven, and basic equipment, but I can see why it won't appeal to those who want all their home comforts.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually Val you have it just right we also have a single window in our present van it came with basic stuff so what when we saw it we fell in love the Unladed 910 KG -- Laded 1130 KG . ( Our van is a fixed bed ) .pulled by a Citroen Grand Picasso HDI Auto ..
For the price what the Lunar Venus 490/4 at £12,495 ( Other vans cost a lot more )

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Will be off to see the new range which with the good user payload of 182kg would remove some of the load constraints that some ranges seem to impose. Prices look sensible and the concept harks back to the Lunar Chateau in its functionality. Good effort by Lunar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts