New Lunar Quaser (moved from New Members section for Pottingshed)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The post below has been copied from the New Members section of the forum

pottingshed said:
Although we have been caravanning some years I wish to say hello as I am new to this forum and thankyou Parksy for your help.

Received a new Lunar Quaser on 8th July 2010 which has been nothing but a nightmare.

Were told by the Dealer approx a week bnefore receiving the van that the manufacturers had forgotten to install the factory fitted alarm. Dealer said they could fit one for us but we did not realise it was not the same as the factory fitted one. Scratched shower cubicle on inspection and marked worktop. After receiving van found toilet area scratched together with washbasin as well. Under the carpets was very dirty and round window blinds a grey dirty film also inside of the roof vents. On closer inspection this van did not appear new at all certainly nothing like the last new caravan we had had for six years which was an Abbey not a Lunar. Then we found the radio speaker did not work on one side. The alarm they had fitted took 1 minute to arm and 2 minutes to disarm. Screw caps missing off many screws around the van. Tap fitted wrong way and extremely stiff. Microwave kept cutting out during cooking. Fridge kept changing over from electric to gas for no reason and would start smelling with a flashing blue light showing a spanner and the number 10. Took ages to cool down before food could be put into it. Fixed bed would stick underneath due to plastic rubbers that were useless and made access underneath difficult. Floor creaked loud as you walked past the fire. The list of problems has just grown. Curtains too long. Front locker drawer catches on upholstery. Blind twisted. Grill door extremely stiff. Oven takes ages to light. Oh the toilet flush stopped working even the mover remote has to be worked upside down.

To top all this we found the VIN number of the van not to be the same as the one we were gfiven at thge time of ordering so for three weeks our caravan insurance had the wrong VIN number. We were told our van was being built and we waited 3 months for it to be available!! This van had all its certificates signed for gas and electricity a week after we ordered the van and paid our deposit so we wouldn't have been able to have a factory fitted alarm anyway!

We did reject this van after 26 days and asked for a change of van as we feel cheated by the Dealer and Lunar for sending out a van without proper Quality Control or checks made they have both refused. Lunar state our van came direct from their factory and was not used as a demonstrator but why did it take 3 months to arrive? and why was all the sanitary ware scratched and floor under the carpets dirty! we have had new vans before but not like this - what do you think!!!!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I think you should have inspected the caravan before accepting it.

A scratched worktop for example would be immediately rejected by my self.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I think I would also have rejected it - hard to believe a dealer would present somthing like that to you and expect to you to be happy.
From previous posts on this forum it is not restricted to any one manufacturer, but you would expect the dealer to ensure that everything was OK.
On the Microwave issue - have had a similar problem in a Lunar Delta, dealer thinks it is because it gets too hot (at home your microwave generally sits on a worktop in the open, in the van it is in a 'box') - if you use it for a sustained period it cuts out, let it cool down and it works perfectly again ! Apparently they have similar issues with the DVD players being mounted in a box in a cupboard.
Think I would be camping out at the Dealers untilthey put it back to A1 condition or replaced ?
Jon

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi pottingshed. Which area do you live in & which dealer supplied the van?. With a very damming report like this I don't think ("the name cannot be disclosed for legal reasons" has any standing);and dealer protection has no credence here.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I had similar problems with my 2009 Lunar Delta. I am waiting to get the 3 front windows replaced now, but i cant complain about the service from my dealer , its been firs class, even down to taking it in one lunch time and they changed the element in the water boiler while i wated for it. Stick the manufacturer out i think they must have been going through a bad stage as the product now seems much better than ours.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
Hi pottingshed. Which area do you live in & which dealer supplied the van?. With a very damming report like this I don't think ("the name cannot be disclosed for legal reasons" has any standing);and dealer protection has no credence here.
I must have missed something because it seems that congratulations are in order Travelling Rooster. When did you become a forum moderator then?
Read and understand the rules of the forum before you start to encourage others to break them please.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum-etiquette

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To return to the topic Pottingshed, the contract of sale is between yourself and the caravan dealers and any issues or defects with the caravan should be rectified by them.
Whatever the manufacturer states (in this case Lunar) has no bearing on the case because you are not Lunars customer, you bought the caravan from the dealer not the manufacturer.
If I were you I'd consult your local trading standards office who may be able to help. Did you complain to the dealer about the caravan when you accepted delivery? Was the alarm a cost option or included in the purchase price? You should insist on having the alarm that you have paid for and which was advertised. Have you contacted the dealership about the problems and what was their response?
The best thing to do would be to list the faults and write to the dealership (keep copies of all correspondence) via registered post.
Include the list of faults and give the dealer a set period of time, say, one month, to rectify the faults. Three months is a normal 'lead time' for delivery of a new caravan but if the vin number is different to the caravan that you ordered you could reject the caravan. To be honest things like 'screw caps missing' are relatively minor issues but the scratched bathroom, shower tray etc point to the caravan having been used as a demonstration model.
If you paid the deposit via credit card or if you bought the caravan using a hire purchase agreement you should inform the credit companies involved. A HP agreement would mean that the comany involved actually own the caravan and they would act on your behalf and a credit card company would be able to act if you used a cc to pay part of the price, the deposit for example.
If the faults are not put right to your satisfaction write a letter to state that you are rejecting the caravan because it is not of merchantable quality, is not as described (wrong vin number) and contact your solicitor if you haven't already done so.
Don't try to 'name and shame' the dealership publicly on this or any other internet forum because despite what various keyboard 'experts' write you could predjudice any possible future legal action. The dealer concerned could bring up the issue of defamation as a line of defence to muddy the waters and cast you in a bad light in front of a County Court judge.
Your contract is with the supplying dealer, you are protected under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 but you need to act now if you hope to reject the caravan as being not of merchantable quality. Contact the dealer formally in writing and see what their response is, in the meantime have a look at
~Understanding the SOGA

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much Parksy for your comments and also all the others who responded. You have confirmed our own thoughts on this matter and how it should be dealt with.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to Parksy, & anyone else following this post. I am not (and you full well know) a moderator on this forum. I have read & do fully understand the rules & etiquette of the forum. My questions to pottingshed were asked; not as a direct invitation for him to infringe the rules of the forum,but more as a measure of protection towards others;not least of all me. The details that have been published; would I am sure not have been if they could not be substantiated. The affair as I see it is one of very smelly and somewhat despicable behaviour on the part of the dealer/agent. The reference to the Vin Plate is smelly, if not downright suspicious.To be given a Vin Reference at the point of sale and to then find it is different upon receipt of the van is questionable trading if nothing else.
The description of the interior & other aspects of the condition of "a new caravan" is very similar to what often happens to "Show Caravans" at the likes of "The Lawns" and on dealer Show/Display Grounds. The interiors,fixtures & fittings have had a "Good going over" by an over enthusiastic & sometimes ignorant public. It then needs some serious "looking at! to bring it back into saleable order. Damaged taps/missing control knobs/handles etc are common place.
Why would the gas & electric aspects of the van be certificated/signed off one week after an order placed and deposit taken?;and then to wait a further prolonged period for delivery. I understand that the certification is part of the hand-over/commissioning of the van to the dealer/selling agent;prior to delivery to the end user/customer.
It is fast becoming common knowledge that manufacturers will send out part finished products for the dealers to complete and it is not uncommon for dealers to "Cannibalise" stock items to complete awaiting orders or deal with warranty claims. Furthermore if there is an "accounting error"between manufacturer and dealer/agent then this should not spill over into the public domain.
This caravan was rejected after 26days, from the published details it could be rejected on any one of several aspects,from shoddy workmanship & loss of faith in the dealer & or the manufacturers product,to not fit for purpose and even based on the description;misrepresentation of goods act;insomuch as it has hallmarks of not new but indeed of aspects of second hand goods.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
Hi to Parksy, & anyone else following this post. I am not (and you full well know) a moderator on this forum. I have read & do fully understand the rules & etiquette of the forum. My questions to pottingshed were asked; not as a direct invitation for him to infringe the rules of the forum,but more as a measure of protection towards others;not least of all me. The details that have been published; would I am sure not have been if they could not be substantiated...........
This point about naming companies crops up time and time again.
Without hijacking Pottingshed's topic I'll try to explain the position of the forum as regards naming this (or any other) dealer.
Rule 4 of forum etiquette states:
You may not transmit complaints about named companies or caravan parks. Such individual issues should be taken up with the company direct

All moderated internet forums including this one are required to abide by libel and defamation laws.
I and most other forum members would agree that on the face of things Pottingshed has a good case.
I'd agree that Pottingshed probably wouldn't publish these allegations if he thought that they were unsubstantiated.
The only way that the allegations can be proven as fact beyond doubt is if Pottingshed proves his case to a court unless the dealer agrees with him before it gets to that stage.
The dealer is highly likely to dispute the facts outlined by Pottingshed.
It doesn't matter one jot whether we on the forum believe him or not, Practical Caravan forum is not a court and we can't get Pottingshed or anybody else for that matter a replacement caravan, only a court can do that.
Practical Caravan has no remit to investigate the truth of forum allegations against dealers and other service providers which is why Rule 4 of forum etiquette is rigidly adhered to, not least for the 'complainant's' own protection if the case has to be decided by a court.
As far as the breaking of rule 4 being a 'protection' for members, what about the forum and the company that owns and runs it?
Don't they deserve any protection against the possibility of libel action? Who pays for the companies legal representation to defend such an action? It is not and never has been this forums' job to 'protect' people by making allegations of which we have no proof against named companies.
All that the forum can do is to provide a platform for someone lke Pottingshed to get help and advice and to make caravanners aware of what can and does happen. The forum doesn't send a representative to check and accept a new caravan on behalf of a forum member but we can equip that member with a bit of knowledge of what to look out for.
The moral of the story is to take nothing on trust, no matter who the dealer or service provider is.
Moderators protect the forum against the possibility of legal action amongst other things, all that would happen if Pottingshed decided to take the advice of those who want to be 'protected' and he named the dealership involved in breach of the rules is that the entire topic would be taken down from the message boards within minutes. He wouldn't then have access to the support and advice of fellow forum members who have helped others in the past in cases such as these.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts