New member info required

Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, planning on returning to towing this year after a break of 20+ years and how things have moved on with motor movers and inflatable awnings !! so a few quick questions then, I've priced up for a towbar to be fitted ( just under £600) detachable with no bumper cut involved. Which socket set up is preferable these days the old 12N and S dockets or the new fangled 13 pin gismo ( I know adaptors are available for either) any preferences on stabilisers, are some built in to the hitch now ?
I will be towing with a 2ltr manual diesel convertible which like me is getting on a bit and will soon have it's 100k mile birthday, but both of us are well maintained and still go well so hopefully a light weight 2 berth van should be ok for me to tow and Herman ( yes he's German) to pull, I plan to keep below 80% of kerbside weight too. I'm sure there's loads of questions I've forgot to ask so any helpful ideas are appreciated.

Thanks. peter.C

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, planning on returning to towing this year after a break of 20+ years and how things have moved on with motor movers and inflatable awnings !! so a few quick questions then, I've priced up for a towbar to be fitted ( just under £600) detachable with no bumper cut involved. Which socket set up is preferable these days the old 12N and S dockets or the new fangled 13 pin gismo ( I know adaptors are available for either) any preferences on stabilisers, are some built in to the hitch now ?
I will be towing with a 2ltr manual diesel convertible which like me is getting on a bit and will soon have it's 100k mile birthday, but both of us are well maintained and still go well so hopefully a light weight 2 berth van should be ok for me to tow and Herman ( yes he's German) to pull, I plan to keep below 80% of kerbside weight too. I'm sure there's loads of questions I've forgot to ask so any helpful ideas are appreciated.

Thanks. peter.C
Hi Peter
Welcome to the forum
We returned to caravaning in 2017 and we were amazed at the home luxury of them (we didn't do much homework before buying) I would personally say have the 13 pin electrics fitted, if the van you buy has 12n and s the caravan can be converted, most Caravans have friction pads in the hitch (no need for the snakemaster) if the caravan you get doesn't have one that can also be done, also with the detachable tow bar it should have an eyelet or equivalent for the breakaway cable, and also we found that a fixed bed is a good option if within your towing limit.
Hope this helps and you enjoy your return.

Gra

Last edited:
Reactions: oldun
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Thanks. peter.C
It is always better to go for the 13 pin connection. The 85% is only a guidline so don't get hung up on it too much. Nose weight should be about 5-7% of the MTPLM, but a maximum of 100kg.
Although it may be a 2ltr it may not be able to tow above a certain MTPLM so you need to check the V5. Some convertibles by law cannot tow anything so make sure that it is legal to tow with it and the maximum weight it can tow.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldun
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Twin sockets were phased out from 2009 the 13 pin is a whole load more reliable having the twist ring to hold in place and securely connected. I have a tow ball mounted bike carrier (used when not towing the van) and an aged trailer that are 12n and I bought two small adapters to leave permanently on these that allow them to plug into the 13 pin on the car.

Reactions: oldun and Jcloughie
Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
It is always better to go for the 13 pin connection. The 85% is only a guidline so don't get hung up on it too much. Nose weight should be about 5-7% of the MTPLM, but a maximum of 100kg.
Although it may be a 2ltr it may not be able to tow above a ceertain MTPLM so you need to check the V5. Some convertibles by law cannot tow anything so make sure that it is legal to tow with it and the maximum weight it can tow.
good point. V5 states 1600kg braked so should be fine

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts