New member - Motorhome to Caravan Conversion

Kez

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,
I’m new to this forum but would appreciate any advice please. Having been a Motorhomer for 6 years we have hit a confidence crisis! During a recently extended holiday to Wales we were involved in a minor accident where we were forced into a wall by a juggernaut on a major road driving too fast. We also found that due to the width of our van we couldn’t safely drive down narrow roads without the fear of scrapping the van or meeting another vehicle. We are now thinking of returning to a compact 2 berth lightweight caravan. Such as a Swift Basecamp, etc. We had 3 caravans prior to buying the Motorhome.
Are the Basecamps worth their money, any others worth considering etc? We have thought about van conversions but they are very expensive. Any replies would be appreciated please.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Basecamps seem quite popular as to whether they are worth the money only you can really decide on that after comparing the other options. Bailey, Swift, Adria and Eldiss groups all produce lightweight two berths. So a look at what they are offering could be useful.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Basecamps seem very cute and novel. If you like a rear door especially but for alternatives there's a similar Adria I think Bailey discovery and a tiny Elddis Explore.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Personally I think the Basecamps are over priced and don't look very comfortable to me. I did look at one out of curiosity and it looked like style over substance IMO.
Pretty small user pay load too so you'd probably be loading up the car well
I'd rather for something more traditional

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure if you want new or second hand. The new Sprite Compact should fit the bill better than the Basecamp if you are looking for a smaller conventional caravan. This looks like a successor to the Lunar Arriva which used to fill that place in the market and is that bit narrower if that is your problem.
That apart possibly things like the Eriba models if you can find one for sale.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Hi, welcome, caravanfinder - this website has loads of information on models in the 2 berth bracket. Have a look and compare specs to suit your needs. I too would go for a conventional 2 berth over the likes of a basecamp, plus you'll have a better market if you decide to sell on.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have an Xplore 302. Teeny tiny and we love it. They don’t make them any more sadly, but there are second hand ones about ( not many).. The Xplore range is good imho. Have a look at the xplore 422, a tidy 2 berth or the Xplore 304 which is small but gives you 4 berths. Someone has mentioned the Swift SpriteCompact. I haven’t seen one myself but looks good on the internet. Freedom Caravans make very small caravans too.
Have to say that there are lots and lots of good reasons to come over to caravanning rather than motor homing, but Juggernauts driven at ridiculous speed can force a caravan into a wall as easily as a motor home. 🙁 Don't let the so and so’s dictate your choices.
mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts