New Passat and Alko stabiliser

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,
Ive just accepted a new job which comes with a company car. This is quite ideal from my point of view as I need to change our current car anyway, and although more than capable, a newer, longer and slightly wider car is probably going to be a better tug! I digress!
We currenlty own a Swift Challenger 490/5SE 1990 van, and have ordered a VW Passat SE BlueMotion Technology Estate with the 2ltr 140bhp diesel engine. Although it would be nice to have the 170 engine, the relevant BiK tax 'focused' my mind so to speak!
I have orderd the optional extra tow bar, which is stated as "Swivelling (Retractable) tow bar with 13-pin connection and 10 electified poles providing functionality of vehicle lighting plus an additional power supply for an interior lamp. Fully Fitted." It looks like this on the website:
/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/towbarpassat.JPG
(hoping that the picture is uploaded properly!)
Does anyone have this towbar fitted to their car?
I currenlty use a Bulldog 200q stabiliser on the Octavia, and obviously wont be able to with this as I dont think the plate that can be bought is compatible as if it does look like this, then I think the plate requires quite a length of 'straight down' on the neck of the tow bar to bolt to.
Therefore I would like to swap to a hitch based stabiliser. Alko would seem to be the obvious choice given the alko chassis, and indeed it seems a little cheaper than a Winterhoff, but im concerned that again, if the tow bar does look like this, there may not be enough clearance from the ball to the section leading to the car.
So, does anyone own the car/tow bar combination, and is it compatible with the Alko stabiliser?
The van has a MTPLM of 1175kg's is there any reason for be to choose the AKS3000 over the AKS1300? The 1300 seems good given the max weight of the van?
This is of course if the hitch stabilisers can be fitted to the van, im presuming that they can?
Ill need an adaptor/splitter lead to convert my 12N/S leads to 13-pin, however, is it better to simply convert the van to 13pin? That way I can ensure that I dont need to be worried about overlength cables dragging etc?
Thanks in advance.
Rob

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rob,
This looks like a standard VAG group retractable towbar, which was already fitted to my 2010 Skoda Superb Estate when I bought it secondhand. As you say, you cannot use a blade stabiliser, but an Alko hitch satbiliser should be OK. On my Skoda the clearance between the stabiliser head and the car bumper is tight, particularly when the caravan is at an acute angle to the car, but there is clearance. Remember to emery off all the black paint on the towball before you first use it.
As regards the electrical connection, I strongly recommend changing the van connections to a 13pin plug. You can then connect up without any hassle of trailing cables etc. I have found the 13 pin a big improvement on the old 12N and 12S - positive connection every time.
Cheers
Paul

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just a small point,hope you do not mind, if it is a factory fit towbar you may find it is only wired up for road lighting to a 13 pin socket and not for caravan fridge and battery charging. When I ordered my new Skoda (VAG) with factory fit towbar, that is what I would have got, the other option, which I took, was dealer fit and they then contracted out to a professional towbar fitter, which meant I got the correct caravan wiring / relays put in. Have a read of the car brochure to check what you are getting, I also found out the sales people do not really understand caravan wiring that we have to have.
The 140 (138Bhp) engine is very good lots of low down torque and power.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Tukums,
Thanks for this, much appreciated.
The factory fit bar indicates that it is wired for the road lights, plus an accessory light, which looks to be the reverse lights. There is an adaption loom which looks to be availalbe, a quick google found the part number of 000055200G availalble from here http://www.shop4volkswagen.co.uk/product/Towbar_Electrics_-_Additional_Parts_000055200G which is what I have asked to be ordered.
I would have prefered a dealer fit as they too contract out to a known reputable fitter in the area, but this wasnt an option for me as I dont think the company would be too keen on this. I agree on the dealer knowledge, I think this is compounded by the VW documentation/brochures not being too good on information!
All the reviews I have read say good things about the engine, although some have mentioned that the BlueMotion technology in this model means the gears are slightly longer which can mean a few changes on the motorway. Tbh, I feel quite lucky to have landed the job and car, and if it does as well as the MK1 Octavia vRS, then I will be more than happy!
Thanks for the info again, hopefully this all might help some others in the future too.
Cheers
Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts