New PHEV as towcar?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the new Mazda CX-60 as it is powerful enough to tow our 2000kg caravan as rated at 2500kg maximum trailer weight, however kerbweight is slightly less than 2000kg at 1980 or 2072kg depending on specification, but without a driver and fluids. With driver, fluids etc or what could call the MIRO it is about 2133kg. This woudl equate to towing at 94% which should be safe for us. Gross weight is about 2667kg. Loks to be a nice car and may be popular with those towing trailers.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Mazdas are generally good tow cars and have famous reliability. It should be a good tow car and should manage the caravan, but if you use the kerb weight on 85% calculation it might leave the ratio rather short. If you are an experienced tower then it should work.
The problem with hybrids is how the two power sources work together, possibly we need some tests on this to see if it can easily manage the weights you quote. The reviews so far have been very good, but none include its towing performance that I can find.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mazdas are generally good tow cars and have famous reliability. It should be a good tow car and should manage the caravan, but if you use the kerb weight on 85% calculation it might leave the ratio rather short. If you are an experienced tower then it should work.
The problem with hybrids is how the two power sources work together, possibly we need some tests on this to see if it can easily manage the weights you quote. The reviews so far have been very good, but none include its towing performance that I can find.
We were originally very interested in the Corolla Cross Hybrid as a second car, but the Mazda now seems a better option as it is the Jeep CRD that uses the most fuel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The choice of going PHEV or full electric is always going to be a personal matter based of your particular circumstances.

I have recently changed from diesel to a petrol +10kWh PHEV, and in terms of the way it works for me I'm very pleased with results. I find the limited EV only range suits me for 90% of my journeys, and I'm not restricted to the longer journeys by the battery, becasue it seamlessly transfers to the turbo petrol+hybrid which I find to be pleasingly efficient, more so than the diesel it replaced.

Even if the battery is fully depleted, the engine with light hybrid assist is still more frugal than the previous diesel.

I suspect you will find a PHEV could be a good alternative.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My grandson has two BMW PHEV which cater for most of his journeys on electric power. And they make a lot of short in town journeys. As per Profs comment on longer journeys the fuel consumption on both is far better than his previous 1.7 Astra turbo petrol.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A well balanced and thoughtful article. Although mirroring to a significant degree what several members of the Forum have been saying for quite a while. I can echo his thoughts on hybrids and utilisation of battery capacity. My daughter and grandson have between them one SC hybrid and two PHEVs. They are extremely pleased with their cars and the lower running costs. Grandsons two BMWs PHEV could tow, albeit at an economy not much better than an ICE. But he doesn’t tow so it’s not an issue for him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts