New puppy, tips please!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, we have a new puppy (Ted, he is gorgeous!) who is currently 12 weeks old. We are booked for a weeks holiday in the Lakes in 2 weeks time, so he will be new on the lead then (we are still currently housebound due to vaccinations!) I would really appreciate any tips, e.g where should I locate his crate overnight? Any tips on walking him? Any ideas for toilet stops between Whitley Bay and Keswick? We are complete newbies and want his first caravan trip to be positive for him (and us!)
Oh and any kit we'll need? We have bought a tent peg-style 'thing' for attaching his lead on the pitch and a lightweight crate.
Many thanks! :))

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Angel

we took our two away at 13 weeks old to Trewethett Farm CC.
Their injections were upto date.
Yes. Very young and not fully house trained.
We restricted them to the front of the caravan. They were put out for the toilet every two to four hours through the night. Only let back in when they had been clean, They ran the cliff walk to Tintantagel twice off the lead.
We introduced the voice hand and whistle commands.
They did a runner from me on day three.
I found them back at the caravan!

Be brave. Give him a long rope where it is safe.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
We took our dog with us for her first trip in the Spring of this year although she was a good bit older than yours, she would have been about 6 months old at that time.
You asked where to put the crate? Suppose that is going to depend on where you have space. Don't think I would want to put a pup out in the awning overnight though. Regards toilet trips,same as Dustydog suggests, take him out at regular intervals.
I would also be wary of the external tether you mention unless someone was going to be outside with him. He could get himself in a right tangle.
Also at that age I would keep him on the lead at all times outside unless in an enclosed space. Last thing you want is a young pup bolting off in a strange environment. Is he chipped? Worth considering if not. A tag with contact details is also good for a speedy return if he goes off and is found by someone. Make sure the tag has a mobile number on it, no point in someone phoning your home if you are off in the caravan. Some folks recommend a second tag, perhaps one of the barrel type,with written details of your temporary residence ie caravan site details.
Remember and take a supply of his regular food, don't want to be changing type of food suddenly..
Relax and enjoy your break and the time with your puppy, they enjoy life to the full at that age. It's good to see and be part of.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Angel I would take him out for regular trips for his toilet training / get him use to his lead
We also have got a new dog he is just over 1 yr old now a Short Leg Pure Jack Russell and he is toilet trained and up to date with his jabs .
He loves his fabric crate .
We do not feed him until we get there otherwise he will be sick
Our other dog a female Border use to pick him up when she went out and now he follows her all the time
They both sleep in the Awning Annex and no trouble at all
Regards

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Charlie764 said:
Hi, I think, first you should get some experience with out pets. After 2 to 3 trips you can handle all the problems. so carry on
A year on Ted will be fully caravan trained B)

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Our last van had a side dinette that converted into two bunks. We have two dogs so when on site we put the bunks up and hubby cut a piece of ply for the bottom one. We bought a piece of bathroom (rubber backed) carpet to lay over this and put their cages on top of that. It worked great as they could pop into their own beds whenever they wanted. We did away with one of the cages eventually and just put a dog bed there. We could use the top bunk to throw a coat on or other bits and pieces. Also, when one of the dogs was very young being locked in a cage made her cry to go out for a wee so no accidents in the van. They will not soil their own bed - or very rarely

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts