New Rules for Drivers who Passed Test after 1997

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Drivers are being warned over a major new change to a law that will come into effect in just two weeks.

From November 15, anyone who passed their car driving test from January 1 1997, will be allowed to tow trailers up to a weight of 3,500kg.
Motorists' driving licenses will be updated automatically to coincide with the major rule change, Birmingham Live reports.
And drivers are now being urged to brush up on the law ahead of the new changes which will kick in in just under a fortnight's time.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Personally I dont see what the press is doing WARNING everyone. Nobody is going to fall foul of it, rather any new caravaner for example is safer as regards his licence. Not so so the rest of us can sleep easy though with some driving I have witnessed.

My mind is seeing Wazza and his mates, with a 30 year old twin axle somehow attached to the back of his Subaru.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Go on, Ill buy it, make me laugh ;)
What’s the difference between a Volvo and a cow. The cow has got the “ latest Greta Thunberg word” on the outside. I suffered them when I bought a Volvo 245 estate and a Barbour jacket.

Could easily substitute a porcupine.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That lost something in translation :D
See GT singing video at COP26 to the tune of Coming round the mountain .
That normally applied to BMW drivers. LOL! :ROFLMAO:
In the days I had my Volvo 245 GLE estate there were precious few BMWs around. I bought it when I returned from Canada Xmas 1985. What BMWs were there ……. just a few early 3 and 5 series. No Audis to speak of, and only the rich had MB. Mrs T’s benefits hadn’t really spread very far at that time. Volvos ruled the roost and had privileged rights to Lane 3.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another forum is repoting that HMGovernment has changed it's mind and as of 4.30 this afternoon the new rules will not be coming in on 15 November,no news whether testing will be re introduced, so bad news if you have already changed your car and or caravan on the basis that you would be able to tow a heavier outfit. Claim that it is down to a campaigning MP from Bristol who thought the new rules would be too dangerous.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Another forum is repoting that HMGovernment has changed it's mind and as of 4.30 this afternoon the new rules will not be coming in on 15 November,no news whether testing will be re introduced, so bad news if you have already changed your car and or caravan on the basis that you would be able to tow a heavier outfit. Claim that it is down to a campaigning MP from Bristol who thought the new rules would be too dangerous.
She was supporting a family whose young son aged 3 years died when a 2 tonne trailer became detached from a Land Rover towing it. in 2014. There had been a campaign to support improved towing safety as a licence requirement. There have been recent calls on DVSA/HMG to state why safety will not be jeopardised by removing testing. When 2 yrs ago a report stated that User failings were the major cause of accidents., not trailer defects Not sure they were prepared fir that question as the move was solely to release testing staff for HGV tests.
It was reported in Horse and Hound a short while back.

This 2019 report may be of interest, as contrary to popular opinion the topic has been studied. Wheter the conclusions and recommendations are agreed becomes a source of discussion. Road user failings were far more significant than trailer or vehicle defects, so scrapping user licensing/testing would seem to be move difficult to support given the facts.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...40182/trailer-safety-statutory-report-web.pdf

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Confirmed on the gov.uk website New rules for towing a trailer with a car from autumn 2021 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

"The rules about what you can tow will not be changing on 15 November 2021. The change will be introduced at a later date, and as soon as possible."

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Confirmed on the gov.uk website New rules for towing a trailer with a car from autumn 2021 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

"The rules about what you can tow will not be changing on 15 November 2021. The change will be introduced at a later date, and as soon as possible."
I’ve read that the decision may be taken to a judicial review given the findings and recommendations of the 2019 report listed above. That will not be a quick process, particularly if DVSA/HMG has the decision against them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
She was supporting a family whose young son aged 3 years died when a 2 tonne trailer became detached from a Land Rover towing it. in 2014. There had been a campaign to support improved towing safety as a licence requirement. There have been recent calls on DVSA/HMG to state why safety will not be jeopardised by removing testing. When 2 yrs ago a report stated that User failings were the major cause of accidents., not trailer defects Not sure they were prepared fir that question as the move was solely to release testing staff for HGV tests.
It was reported in Horse and Hound a short while back.
Very sad but that accident could have happened whether or not they had a B or B+E driving licence. I cannot see any government introducing a test for drivers to be able to tow a trailer where the combination is under 3500kg even if they are only towing a trailer under 750kg.
In perspective does any one know the percentage of accidents where trailers are involved and the accident is a result of the driver towing the trailer being negligent? I would think that the government would tke this into consideration when making a decision.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
So, another U-turn then?
A bleddy shambles now, no date on when the law will change , and if you had a test booked it's been automatically cancelled and you can't book a test. You can't make this stuff up

Reactions: Hutch and Johnb
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very sad but that accident could have happened whether or not they had a B or B+E driving licence. I cannot see any government introducing a test for drivers to be able to tow a trailer where the combination is under 3500kg even if they are only towing a trailer under 750kg.
In perspective does any one know the percentage of accidents where trailers are involved and the accident is a result of the driver towing the trailer being negligent? I would think that the government would tke this into consideration when making a decision.

Read the link to the All Party Report that I have posted. You would be surprised at its depth of cover. it gives lots of information derived from DVSA, NTTA, Clubs, insurers Police etc. It clearly concluded that defects in vehicles or trailers were not a significant part and hence the cost benefits of trailer MoT tests or registration were very weak. It did however conclude that the majority of incidents were people related. DVSA undertook to look further at how people related accidents could be reduced. So since 2019 to now they have almost U turned. Yet Ade is waiting four months for his HGV licence when he fulfils all of the criteria. Where does part of the problem of HGV shortage lie?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Read the link to the All Party Report that I have posted. You would be surprised at its depth of cover. it gives lots of information derived from DVSA, NTTA, Clubs, insurers Police etc. It clearly concluded that defects in vehicles or trailers were not a significant part and hence the cost benefits of trailer MoT tests or registration were very weak. It did however conclude that the majority of incidents were people related. DVSA undertook to look further at how people related accidents could be reduced. So since 2019 to now they have almost U turned. Yet Ade is waiting four months for his HGV licence when he fulfils all of the criteria. Where does part of the problem of HGV shortage lie?

So basically whether the driver had a B or a B+E the incident may still have happened. I will have a read.
Perhaps more DVSA check points or more traffci police on roads would be a solution, however governments do not want to spend the money for this purpose.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So basically whether the driver had a B or a B+E the incident may still have happened. I will have a read.
Perhaps more DVSA check points or more traffci police on roads would be a solution, however governments do not want to spend the money for this purpose.

Unfortunately yes, but accidents can and do happen, but are the root causes truly accidental, device failure or just ignorance, carelessness, or sheer stupidity? It is the root causes that have to be addressed as well as some of the suggestions you propose, but which have progressively taken a back seat for the last 11 years.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I read this in Showroom News on page 47 of Subscriber Issue 445 of Practical Caravan:

"The new rules, due to come into force later this year, mean anyone - not just people who passed their test before 1st January 1997 - will be allowed to to tow a trailer of up to 3500kg *MAM, regardless of how heavy their car is.
Currently, drivers who passed their test after that date but before 18th January 2018 are only allowed to tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no heavier than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and only up to a combined weight of 3500kg.
Those who gained their licence from 19th January 2013 only have to ensure the combined MAM of trailer and car is no more than 3500kg".

*MAM-Maximum Authorised Mass

I believe this to be an misleading statement which, if followed, could lead to people getting themselves into serious difficulties on the road and into court facing a hefty fine.
As far as I can see the first part of the statement is correct although the changes have been postponed once again.
However the bit that states "....will be allowed to to tow a trailer of up to 3500kg MAM, regardless of how heavy their car is." is surely incorrect?

I have searched the DVLA website for clarification but can find nothing definitive.
If indeed it is correct then it means that someone can quite legally hitch something like a Buccaneer Cruiser with an MTPLM of 1925kgs to a Toyota Aygo with a MAM of 1300kgs and be under the 3500kgs limit. I'm certain the car would struggle under such a load but hopefully you get my meaning.
Surely it will still be illegal to tow a trailer that exceeds the MAM, GVW or maximum permissable weight, whichever you prefer, of the towing vehicle.
To put it another way, surely the trailer must not weigh more than the towing vehicle.
Otherwise, I have horrible visions of "the tail wagging the dog" scenarios resulting in people coming to grief on our roads due totally miss-matched outfits.
To me the whole thing is confused and full of ambiguity.
Hopefully someone will enlighten me.
Thanks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately yes, but accidents can and do happen, but are the root causes truly accidental, device failure or just ignorance, carelessness, or sheer stupidity? It is the root causes that have to be addressed as well as some of the suggestions you propose, but which have progressively taken a back seat for the last 11 years.

and will do for another 11 years due to cutbacks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
OH has to renew her driving licence by January as it needs renewing every 10 years. However less than 4 months later she becomes of the age when you reach that milestone in life that you have to renew the driving licence anyway. Does this mean that she will need to renew the driving licence twice in one year?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OH has to renew her driving licence by January as it needs renewing every 10 years. However less than 4 months later she becomes of the age when you reach that milestone in life that you have to renew the driving licence anyway. Does this mean that she will need to renew the driving licence twice in one year?
Probably yes as before you reach 70 years DVSA will send her an application for the three year one.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
AFAIK yes but renewals at 70 and every 3 years are free unless you want to change the photo - if your OH had grandfather rights for C1 and D1, they will be removed at age 70 unless she takes and passes the D4 medical which is chargeable.

If she has BE then that's retained.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Land Rover Discovery, Pajero and Sorento Mk1 were specified to tow well above the cars GVW Up to 3500 kgs for some. So they were legal.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The law was going to change from 15th November but this change has been put on hold.

100% hasn't been a legal requirement for B-only licence holders since 2013 - it's never been a legal requirement for BE licence holders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts