New to caravaning

Mar 30, 2023
Visit site
Been to look at an elddis avante 840 today advertised for 23,000 the guy has advertised as full service history but upon checking it was last done in 2020?
He told me due to covid no vans were serviced 21 / 22 I find this hard to believe?
Can some one shed some light on this for me please

I no it might sound daft but like I say I'm new to this so will be the first caravan I'm buying... Don't really no what I'm looking for or checking!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our caravan wasn't serviced in 2020 due to lockdown but was serviced normally in 2021 and 2022 - so walk away and find another.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What he told you is rubbish. Mine was serviced 2020 and 2021. It was done by an Approved Workshop Scheme technician. The warranty on the caravan will have lapsed through non servicing. As stated above “walk away”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Mar 30, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for your reply... I had my doubts that's why I thought I'd ask on here.
You've made my mind up for me so it's back on the hunt for another one.

Reactions: RogerL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bobwilk,

Especially when buying a secondhand but newish caravan that might still have some manufacturers warranty left, it is vitally important for it to have a full up to date record of approved services, otherwise the manufacturer will not support the remaining warranty.

I get the impression that you are buying privately and not from a dealer, so you should be aware that whilst you might save 10 to 15% of a dealers price, you are on your own if anything is found untoward with the caravan, whereas with a dealer you will not only get a dealers guarantee, but you will also have the backing of the Consumer Rights Act which can be a very strong ally if the seller doesn't act fairly with you.

For most people buying a caravan is a major investment, and its only wise to take your time to get all the information absolutely clear and 100% satisfactory, before you make any kind of offer to buy. Unfortunately there are a increasing number of fraudsters out there.

Once you have identified a possible purchase, read up on either this forum (using the search facility) and try and find a brand owners website to discover typical issues the make or model has. Its really worth either taking an experienced caravanner with you to look at the caravan as they may spot things a novice might not, and its usually money well spent to have a Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS) engineer do a pre purchase condition inspection. If the seller shows any concern about allowing such an inspection, of the report contains any thing that your uncertain about, walk away.

Do CRIS check for ownership and any outstanding finance. Use your head not your heart.

There are some good deals out there, but you need your wits about you to avoid the dodgy ones.

Mar 30, 2023
Visit site
Hello Bobwilk,

Especially when buying a secondhand but newish caravan that might still have some manufacturers warranty left, it is vitally important for it to have a full up to date record of approved services, otherwise the manufacturer will not support the remaining warranty.

I get the impression that you are buying privately and not from a dealer, so you should be aware that whilst you might save 10 to 15% of a dealers price, you are on your own if anything is found untoward with the caravan, whereas with a dealer you will not only get a dealers guarantee, but you will also have the backing of the Consumer Rights Act which can be a very strong ally if the seller doesn't act fairly with you.

For most people buying a caravan is a major investment, and its only wise to take your time to get all the information absolutely clear and 100% satisfactory, before you make any kind of offer to buy. Unfortunately there are a increasing number of fraudsters out there.

Once you have identified a possible purchase, read up on either this forum (using the search facility) and try and find a brand owners website to discover typical issues the make or model has. Its really worth either taking an experienced caravanner with you to look at the caravan as they may spot things a novice might not, and its usually money well spent to have a Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS) engineer do a pre purchase condition inspection. If the seller shows any concern about allowing such an inspection, of the report contains any thing that your uncertain about, walk away.

Do CRIS check for ownership and any outstanding finance. Use your head not your heart.

There are some good deals out there, but you need your wits about you to avoid the dodgy ones.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I'm going to leave that one... I stupidly left a deposit on it yesterday before doing a bit more digging on my way home about the caravan and the company I was buying from.
They actually sell American caravans...
They are called American caravans direct I believe... Based near Boston but I left feeling uneasy so I did a few more checks and I'm glad I did.
I just hope I can get my deposit back today as it was falsely advertised as having full service history when in fact it hasn't been serviced since 2020.
It's a mine field trying to buy a good caravan 🤦‍♂️

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your reply, I'm going to leave that one... I stupidly left a deposit on it yesterday before doing a bit more digging on my way home about the caravan and the company I was buying from.
They actually sell American caravans...
They are called American caravans direct I believe... Based near Boston but I left feeling uneasy so I did a few more checks and I'm glad I did.
I just hope I can get my deposit back today as it was falsely advertised as having full service history when in fact it hasn't been serviced since 2020.
It's a mine field trying to buy a good caravan 🤦‍♂️
One area to look at could be Caravan and Motorhome Club members classifieds. Some will be selling everything as perhaps health or other reasons necessitates a sale. Being caravanners for years they will have maintained their caravans. You still need to do the normal checks though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Been to look at an elddis avante 840 today advertised for 23,000 the guy has advertised as full service history but upon checking it was last done in 2020?
He told me due to covid no vans were serviced 21 / 22 I find this hard to believe?

I no it might sound daft but like I say I'm new to this so will be the first caravan I'm buying... Don't really no what I'm looking for or checking!

If it is a 2020 caravan then the part of the 6 year warranty cane be transferred to yourself, but it is best to contact Elddis direct with the CRIS number and they can advise if the warranty can be transferred. If not run away especially if the seller makes up some excuse not to supply the CRIS number!

We have a 2018 Elddis Buccaneer caravan which is a higher spec and it was serviced in 20, 21 and 22 so not sure of the excuse and I smell a rat. If you do want to go ahead ask them if they are happy for a check to be done by a qualified caravan technician of your choosing like an AWS technician. If they refuse definitely walk away.

Have a look here. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/americancaravansdirect.com They probably will try and keep your deposit, but at the end of the day you may be better off losing it if every avenue to get it back fails. Hopefully deposit was paid by credit card. Which Consumer group are very good at helping people in this sort of predicament. https://legalservice.which.co.uk/?utm_source=Which&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=main_nav&utm_content=Legal

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobwilk
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I have looked at the company's website and must say the American vans are spectacular. Wrt the van you are/were interested in the advert does not say "Full service history" it says "fully serviced" which could be taken literally to mean it will be serviced prior to hand over to the new owner. But seeing some reviews of the company I think your decision. to look elsewhere is sound.

Mar 30, 2023
Visit site
I have looked at the company's website and must say the American vans are spectacular. Wrt the van you are/were interested in the advert does not say "Full service history" it says "fully serviced" which could be taken literally to mean it will be serviced prior to hand over to the new owner. But seeing some reviews of the company I think your decision. to look elsewhere is sound.
Iv just looked through the company reviews online and think I had a lucky escape!
Thanks for the advice on here guys it's invaluable... Hopefully I'll find the right one soon as these elddis seem to go quickly

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There were some delays in getting caravans serviced and the makers did allow extra leeway on dates. There were no other problems with servicing and anyone saying no servicing was done is simply not telling the truth. I hope the deposit was not too large. Legally if you paid a deposit on the basis of a lie then you could sue them, but I doubt it is worthwhile.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 30, 2023
Visit site
There were some delays in getting caravans serviced and the makers did allow extra leeway on dates. There were no other problems with servicing and anyone saying no servicing was done is simply not telling the truth. I hope the deposit was not too large. Legally if you paid a deposit on the basis of a lie then you could sue them, but I doubt it is worthwhile.
Luckily the company paid me my deposit back with no hassle so I can’t grumble.
I had a luck escape without that one I think.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Luckily the company paid me my deposit back with no hassle so I can’t grumble.
I had a luck escape without that one I think.
Great you got the money back! I'd want a service history and a ticked checklist involving all important items plus a written damp survey report before paying with that sort of money! Be very careful around used vans

Steve

Reactions: Bobwilk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts