New to caravanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we are new to caravanning and are planning to buy either a new or good used caravan. We need a 5 or 6 berth; and whilst our children are still young (6 months, 2 and 6 years old) we would hope that whatever we buy now will suit when they are a bit older. We will be using a Renault Espace to tow. We are awrae of the 85% rule. We would welcome any advice on models and layouts. We had thought perhaps fixed bunks , but does this usually mean reduced lounge space? Also, is it better to have a washroom with separate shower cubicle (especially for washing children)? Advice also welcome on what make of awning we should consider. So far we have only looked at Fleetwoods and Compass, but want to look at other makes in next couple of weeks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Cathy, Firstly the 85% is not a rule, it is only guideline, it is a sensible starting point though. I can vouch for the Renault Espace (both 2.0L Petrol and 2.2dLt Diesel. Both are pretty good towcars, having a larger than average kerbweight and consequently towing capacilty. Of the two I prefer the diesel it offers goods performance, and betters the petrol on fuel economy by quite a margin.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are now to caravanning, why not buy a good second hand van.

This way you will ensure caravanning is for you. You will probably find that you will learn many things from the first van you own. You may choose one layout and find that for whatever reason you would be better with a different arrangement.

Best advice :- Join the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club. Many people (inc ME) are in both.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You have a real choice to make since (in my opinion anyway), you either buy a van with two lounge areas (front and rear) where side bathroom is compact - or one with a rear bathroom with more space,where extra seating / bed area is on side of van.

Consider whether you really need the bigger bathroom since most sites have perfectly acceptable facilities, or whether you want the flexibility to have two separate eating / sleeping areas. Privacy at night when kids in bed to read, play cards, etc. important to us so we bought one with rear saloon (Odyssey 505). Most manufacturers make both types.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cathy, As I have three children similar in age to yours, I would offer the following comments on layouts having tried several different configurations over the last couple of years. When we only had two children, we had a van with side dinette that converted to bunks and a seperate end washroom (with independant shower cubicle). The washroom was fantastically spacious (as you suggest ideal for dealing with kids), but we found that with them sleeping at the side that in the evenings we disturbed them by having to walk past to get to the washroom or make a cup of tea (the kitchen was opposite), or even better when coming in from outside having enjoyed a late evening glass of wine once the kids were (supposedly) asleep. With the additional third child, we have changed the van to a double dinette 5 birth, which has a bedroom for the children at the back and a side centre washroom. This has solved the problem of disturbing them as they are out of the way at the back of the van and in practice, we have found the much smaller washroom to be no loss as it is still quite easy to stand the children in it and shower them whilst standing at the door. The shower tray on the floor also doubles quite nicely as a baby bath for the younger family members. I would therefore definitely recommend an end bedroom layout with young children, from my personal experience. Hope this helps, Dave.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welcome Cathy to the best form of family holiday there is! We started vanning 19 years ago when our 3 were 6,12 & 30 months old. Started with a 6 berth 15'6 single axle - far too small! Progressed to a 5 berth 18'6" twin axle which we towed very comfortably with a 2.0 Espace. Go for a layout with rear bunks/dinette, that way the kids have their own daytime space too, and get a van with an internal sliding door to separate the front lounge from the kids bedroom at night - it helps them settle down whilst you enjoy your glass of wine! When you get your new awning buy one with 4 detachable walls - they're easier to erect & when it's hot you can just use the roof as a sun shade. Get a van with a separate shower & loo, otherwise you'll have wet feet/socks/clothes everywhere, as the kids will always want the loo just when you're having a shower. Make sure there's plenty of cupboards for the nappies!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
When ours were younger we liked the small L shaped rear that at full stretch made up to a double with bunk over. We used a Mothercare 'bedsider' tucked underneath the edge of the small cushion (foot of the L) which made an almost enclosed cot for baby. Another along the long side for the two year old, and the older child in the bunk over the top. We also used sleeping backs with the 'foot' tucked under to give a half size bag (you could temp stitch it half way). Don't forget the waterproof sheets that save spills or other accidents contmainating your new upholstery (that is usually stitched all round!). As the children get older they probably prefer a pup tent or an inner slung within the end of the awning. It's a great life, and we have visited many places with the caravan that we would otherwise have never seen.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cathy, do not rush it, spend time sitting in vans and thinking what it would be like in use - remember, the children will get bigger. The separate shower might be useful as it means that the loo does not get wet. Go along to any shows near you and talk to people there - most caravanners will tell you hir experiences or failing that talk to people visiting dealers. I would even suggest visiting a caravan site once you have a short list of vans and talking to owners there. Having bought the ideal van initially to find it was not I can vouch that getting it wrong is expensive.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we are new to caravaning we have 3children 15,8&5 we have a caravan with rear bunks,but we have found that we disturb them at night wish we had bought one with a double dinette so the kids had their own room also most sites have nice clean shower blocks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts