New to Caravanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello, having never towed a caravan before, my wife and I are thinking of going to live in south Spain and using a caravan to get there.

What is the best option to take regarding ferries, i.e. go to Calais, Caen or further down to Santander.

Also, has anyone experienced the terrain crossing Spain, could I, as a beginner cope?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter, your a braver man than me. If I'm reading right your going to go 100s of miles the first ever time you've towed anything.

Have you considered a few "practise" trips in this country first. Build up the confidence before you have to cope with driving on the opposite side of the road and towing.

Safe Journey.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I agree with Rich B, you may have already made up your mind.

The Dover / Calais is by far the most frequent crossing (about every 20 or 30 min ecch day). This takes about 1.5 hours to cross. The Santander crossing is expensove and takes about 18 or 24 hours.

If it is your first 'tow' restrict yourself to 200 miles per day. Get a copy of the Caravan Club Continental directory which will tell you where sites are, facilities, cost and opening dates.

If you intend to travel outside the main Holiday season you will find only a few sites are open in France.

The terrain in Spain is not a problem (get a good Map) and stay off minor roads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts