New to this

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello there,
I am looking for a new small 2 berth caravan to be towed with my Citroen C3, I have used a teardrop caravan previously but need a little more space, looking at under 15k, any ideas ? thanks

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello there,
I am looking for a new small 2 berth caravan to be towed with my Citroen C3, I have used a teardrop caravan previously but need a little more space, looking at under 15k, any ideas ? thanks
Hi Sipo it all depends what engine and the year of your Citroen C3

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the normal C3 the maximum towing weight of some models is 600kg. For the Aircross is seems that 840kg is the maximum.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Presuming therefore it was made between 2010 and 2016 from the link, and therefore unless it's the PLatinum ETG model that has 800 Max, it is likely to be 1100 kg. You will need to confirm this to be safe and legal! But assuming that to be so an Xplore 304 is Max 1043, actually a 4 berth with L shaped front lounge that makes the double bed. There is a Caravelair Antares 390 which is Max 1100, (sold by Marquis I think) both vans have 'standard caravan' shape , so there's a starting point for you. At the moment you will find used vans are short in supply, and unless you are the minority Tier 4 impinges tomorrow, but most dealers have good online descriptions and photos. Have fun and good luck!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When trying to determine what a car is legally allowed to tow, the principle factors are weights, and they are basically determined from the data on the cars weight plate, for cars sold in the EU.
Here is an example of the layout of the plate

1609352325814.png

The first three lines define the make and model with its unique VIN number.

The top figure marked "kg"is the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) or maximum limit for the weight of the solo car when fully loaded.

The next figure marked "kg"is the Gross Train Weight (GTW) or maximum limit for the weight of the car when fully loaded and the weight of any trailer.

The third and fourth lines marked kg are the front and rear car axle load limits'

The difference between GTW - GVW = the maximum weight any trailer can be when the car is fully loaded, and is usually the same as the manufacturers specified maximum towed weight limit - Though some do quote a greater figure on the understanding the car may not be fully loaded, so some of the unused payload can be transferred to the trailer, but at all times the combined weights must not exceed the GTW.

It is illegal to load a solo car beyond its GVW and car and trailer beyond the GTW limit. or indeed to exceed any of teh stated axle limits - all these stamped values are absolutes.

That's the legal bit, now the UK caravan industry offers some advice. It is widely recognised that towing a caravan behind any car is going to push the cars capabilities. Bearing in mind the size and weight of a caravan, it is sensible to not push the limits of the car. So for an experienced caravanner, the advice is to choose a caravan whose maximum weight does not exceed the kerbweight of the car.

When it's a novice the advice reduces the maximum weight of the caravan to not exceeding 85% of the Kerbweight.

The manufacturer may publish the cars expected kerbweight in the handbook. If not you can use the car's Mass in Service figure from the V5c document which is close to the value of Kerbweight

These advisory values are just advice, they carry no legal power, they offer no guarantees of good or safe towing

For simplicity if you choose a caravan whose MTPLM matches or is lower than the advisory weight (and is still within the legal limits) then there is a fair chance it will tow reasonably, however when it comes to smaller cars there is less flexibility in the choices of caravans.

Good towing is the result of safe loading, ensuring the car and trailer are in full working order, tyre pressures are set correctly and good driving habits.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At 840 kg, if this is correct, then the choice is limited to a few teardrops and perhaps a Freedom, although do be aware the Freedoms may have a 50 kg load allowance which id totally inadequate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts