New Tyres

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just had my MOT, passed but with an advisorie. Tyres are at 4mm. Near to limits.
Ok they are all season tyres Nokian Weatherproofs, but really, near limits !!!

Anyway I will possibly change them depending on mileage and wear, but I imaging I will get another winter out of them.

What tyres would you put on your cars, if you were to,change them , I am thinking of going back to the Hankook 117. I found them ok.
My tug is the Santa Fe..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just had my MOT, passed but with an advisorie. Tyres are at 4mm. Near to limits.
Ok they are all season tyres Nokian Weatherproofs, but really, near limits !!!

Anyway I will possibly change them depending on mileage and wear, but I imaging I will get another winter out of them.

What tyres would you put on your cars, if you were to,change them , I am thinking of going back to the Hankook 117. I found them ok.
My tug is the Santa Fe..
I’ve got Bridgestone Weather Control. All seasons but not as snow optimised as the Nokians. The Bridgestone are Three Peaks but more suited to the more temperate European areas like UK biased a bit more from snow to wet and slush. Nice open tread pattern compared to some all seasons helps on CLs.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Beachball.
We also had the Tiguan before we bought the Santa fe.
Excellent towcar and a joy to drive but we found the boot space a little too small for us,especially when the grandchildren came away with us.
Even when it was just the 2 of us,we couldn't put the rear seats down because the 2 dogs were in the back.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've got Vredestein Quatrac Pro on my Touareg - very pleased with them - they have 3PMSF and M+S - they're W-rated for speed so suitable for more powerful SUVs.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Beachball.
We also had the Tiguan before we bought the Santa fe.
Excellent towcar and a joy to drive but we found the boot space a little too small for us,especially when the grandchildren came away with us.
Even when it was just the 2 of us,we couldn't put the rear seats down because the 2 dogs were in the back.
I have the same problem when i put the Pet gear (Border Terrier & Short leg jack Russell) into the boot and wheelchair but we can put the back seats down . our 2 granddaughters one got her own car and the other is 18 . We love the car it great for towing and fishing on the river bank when i go:)

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have the same problem when i put the Pet gear (Border Terrier & Short leg jack Russell) into the boot and wheelchair but we can put the back seats down . our 2 granddaughters one got her own car and the other is 18 . We love the car it great for towing and fishing on the river bank when i go:)
For those who need more space, there's the VW Tiguan Allspace which is a long-wheelbase version of the regular Tiguan.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
legal limit is 1.6mm so you are well within limits, although I change mine well before that.
I'm also a Tiguan driver that jumped to a Santa Fe, Tiguan boot was way too small for a family car. I do miss it's handling and it's 45 mpg though

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
legal limit is 1.6mm so you are well within limits, although I change mine well before that.
I'm also a Tiguan driver that jumped to a Santa Fe, Tiguan boot was way too small for a family car. I do miss it's handling and it's 45 mpg though
Mine very good on juice even for a automatic :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's a different legal limit on winter tyres in Alpine regions where they're mandatory, 4mm, and which is used as a recommendation in the UK - with 3mm being the recommendation for summer tyres - but those are just recommendations, the legal limit is as said, 1.6 mm.

There are moves to change the legal limit to 3mm but it needs international agreement which could take forever to achieve.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There's a different legal limit on winter tyres in Alpine regions where they're mandatory, 4mm, and which is used as a recommendation in the UK - with 3mm being the recommendation for summer tyres - but those are just recommendations, the legal limit is as said, 1.6 mm.

There are moves to change the legal limit to 3mm but it needs international agreement which could take forever to achieve.

Why does it require international agreement? Other countries have 3 mm limits for normal tread depth wear.

I always change at 3mm as it’s recognised that by then the water dispersal performance of the tyres has decreased significantly and that’s probably more important than snow performance in UK. The reason that part worn winter tyres can be so readily obtained in this country is because of they have been discarded due to them wearing near or below the legal limits for those countries that have mandated snow/ice performance limits. So pointless anyone buying them in UK.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Why does it require international agreement? Other countries have 3 mm limits for normal tread depth wear.

I always change at 3mm as it’s recognised that by then the water dispersal performance of the tyres has decreased significantly and that’s probably more important than snow performance in UK. The reason that part worn winter tyres can be so readily obtained in this country is because of they have been discarded due to them wearing near or below the legal limits for those countries that have mandated snow/ice performance limits. So pointless anyone buying them in UK.
The international agreement would change the wear bars from 1.6mm to 3mm.

I too change my tyres at 3mm.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The bars and mm inprints on my tyres are very obvious, I also changed my last set of Hankooks at 3mm, they had done 42k, just starting to lose the grip if pushed that bit too much in the wet. But with the roundabouts here in Milton Keynes, you need the grip,at rush hours.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On the Touareg

Previously Hankooks
Now on Goodyear Eagles asymmetric 3
Based on multi people recommendation on a “ What’s best there for my car”type sites.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On the Touareg

Previously Hankooks
Now on Goodyear Eagles asymmetric 3
Based on multi people recommendation on a “ What’s best there for my car”type sites.
I was going to ask how they cope with towing on wet, muddy campsites but I know from experience that the Touareg's 4wd system is good enough to deal with that test even with worn summer on-road tyres.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So far the Goodyear’s have worked well. However I was tempted to try BF Goodrich All Terrains again. Had them on the Sorento, noisy but great grip. Maybe not quite right on the Touareg 😉😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many years ago we had a caravan with Hankook tyres and at 3 years we had to change them due to bulging and cracking. Seems that they have improved their tyres a lot since however we still prefer to pay extra and go for a branded name preferably made on Continent or the UK where possible. Having said that, it is nearly impossible to find tyres that are not made in China.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many years ago we had a caravan with Hankook tyres and at 3 years we had to change them due to bulging and cracking. Seems that they have improved their tyres a lot since however we still prefer to pay extra and go for a branded name preferably made on Continent or the UK where possible. Having said that, it is nearly impossible to find tyres that are not made in China.
Hankook are a very well respected brand and are OEM supply on Mercedes, Ford , Korean and other makes. I cannot understand why you think tyres made in China by a respected brand are unacceptable, if they are compounded to recognise European weather and driving conditions, which they will be, Their quality is as good as ones made by that brand in Europe. Do you inspect your new tyres prior to purchase to see country of origin? In 2004 Continental started their move to produce tyres in China, where they were subsequently fitted to VWs made in China for export to Australia and the Pacific countries.

https://www.tyrepress.com/2004/02/conti-plans-tyre-production-in-china/

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hankook are a very well respected brand and are OEM supply on Mercedes, Ford , Korean and other makes. I cannot understand why you think tyres made in China by a respected brand are unacceptable, if they are compounded to recognise European weather and driving conditions, which they will be, Their quality is as good as ones made by that brand in Europe. Do you inspect your new tyres prior to purchase to see country of origin? In 2004 Continental started their move to produce tyres in China, where they were subsequently fitted to VWs made in China for export to Australia and the Pacific countries.

https://www.tyrepress.com/2004/02/conti-plans-tyre-production-in-china/
I did say many years ago that we had issues with Hankook tyres, but have no idea what they are like now.
At no point in my post did I mention that Hankooks were unacceptable also said that I would my preference would be for branded tyres manufactured on the Continent or UK. At no stage did I say they must be made on the Continent or UK.
Please read my post correctly unless my English is so bad that people misinterpret what I am saying.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Both our cars are now shod with Goodyear’s. I checked to see where they are made and found this,.
Apart from USA Goodyear also has plants in Canada, Germany, France, England, Poland, Luxembourg, Turkey, Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Colombia, Thailand, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, South Africa, etc.
According to the blurb ALL Goodyear factories produce tyres to a set spec. I have seen Bosch plants in Malaya and they are hi tech.
I understand tyres sold in the U.K. have to be to a certain BSI standard . No doubt someone will know exactly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Both our cars are now shod with Goodyear’s. I checked to see where they are made and found this,.
Apart from USA Goodyear also has plants in Canada, Germany, France, England, Poland, Luxembourg, Turkey, Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Colombia, Thailand, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, South Africa, etc.
According to the blurb ALL Goodyear factories produce tyres to a set spec. I have seen Bosch plants in Malaya and they are hi tech.
I understand tyres sold in the U.K. have to be to a certain BSI standard . No doubt someone will know exactly.
From here on probably have to be embossed. “UKCA” which might prevent purchase of tyres from European outlets such as Tyreleader, or Pneus Online. Which would restrict our choice and reduce competition on price. I bought my BFG MT from Tyreleader and the shipped from Holland in 36 hours from order. The Motor Vehicle Tyre Regulations going back to 1994 refer primarily to the governing standards being ECE but allow for equivalent BSI to be used.

Similarly I bought a replacement pattern headlamp unit from Germany but if they have to be specific to UKCA, Continental suppliers may no stock such parts. My grandson works for a defence company and he tells me they are having problems sourcing equipment which is CE marked as the US suppliers really don’t want to submit for all the necessary work just to have it marked UKCA when nothing has changed. And they have been told that if UKCA diverge from CE then the supplier may not continue to supply the U.K. market. This is for a radar system. So an honourable compromise has been reached. His company will pay for and manage the work required to obtain UKCA approval. That’s a negative hit to the defence budget and the taxpayer.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts