new van insurance

Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
Any suggestions for insurance providers as there seems a lot out there at varying prices,the only company I've heard of before is Adrian Flux

owdun

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Any suggestions for insurance providers as there seems a lot out there at varying prices,the only company I've heard of before is Adrian Flux

owdun
I have always used one of the two clubs. Not necessarily the cheapest but they have a good reputation for dealing with claims. On many websites you see a five star set of reviews. But mainly these relate to the ease of taking out the policy, not how good the company are in dealing with a claim. Also the DEFAQTO rating relates to what is included in the policy not how well a claim will be handled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Challenger
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

owdun
We also have use both the club insurance but now with Caravan guard and this is the second year we have been with them

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As OC points out, it is not the way they set up the policy that counts, what counts is when they deal with claims. We have claimed once with Towergate and another time with Caravan Club and neither hassled with the claim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Generally if a policy is significantly cheaper than the rest, it probably means it either does not cover as much, or the company is more difficult to claim from when you need to. Unlike car insurance, there are no minimum requirements a caravan policy has to meet, so without checking you cannot be sure if alternative policies are exactly the same.

it's entirely down to the insurer to decide what's covered and what's not, For example check what recovery options (and limitations) the policy has. And what steps the policy holder has to take to keep the policy active, such as security measures.

As others have said, it does seem that the clubs insurance packages are well sorted and effective. There are also some well respected policies offered by some big names like NFU and others.

I know its a real pain, but before you agree to any policy it really does pay to read the full terms and conditions, and if there's something your not sure about check with the company before you agree to it.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Only ever used the Club’s CAMC for years. There are some other good insurers. NFU. I tried Caravan Guard. They would not cover the caravan if stored at home and storage over the year. Only one location was acceptable

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As Other Clive says the five star reviews are usually for the ease of setting up the policy which is irrelevant as they all make it easy. You need to google their claims service and at that point you will find many fall short. I have always used the clubs for insurance and was happy with the C&CC which has a good policy but have found it less satisfactory of late and moved to Caravanguard who I believe are among the best of the rest. The CAMH was simply over £100 more than any of the others which was just too high for me.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It amazes me the different cost of insurances,
Caravan 10 years old , value 15 k , insurance £350,
Car 8 years old value £14 k, insurance £300,
House £700 k, 50 year old, insurance £350 ,
Dog mongral , 9 years old, value, nothing monetary, insurance, £600

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’d have the dog any day.
But once they reach 10 a massive excess applies plus a 35% coinsurance and the premium doubles😜

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d have the dog any day.
But once they reach 10 a massive excess applies plus a 35% coinsurance and the premium doubles😜
When I first had our two the insurance was £25 pm fir the two. After the first year the renewal doubled. I rang them up and was told” it is because of the breed”. I explained that they were the same breed as the first year. Did not get anywhere so we never insured them thereafter.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When I first had our two the insurance was £25 pm fir the two. After the first year the renewal doubled. I rang them up and was told” it is because of the breed”. I explained that they were the same breed as the first year. Did not get anywhere so we never insured them thereafter.
Given our time again we would insure both dogs, sisters for one year . If all ok no more insurance

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Given our time again we would insure both dogs, sisters for one year . If all ok no more insurance
When we calculated how much their insurance would have cost us for the two over fifteen years we were not out of pocket, even allowing for one of them having a cruciate ligament TTA operation three years ago at around £4000 with post operative physio and hydrotherapy. They had their share of knocks and scrapes over their lives including meningitis but were generally healthy.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
All of our dogs are either mongrals ( labrador mum Standard poolde dad ) little Harry 28% Yorkshire terrier 26 % chiuwawa, the rest all terriers, call them "Mixed Breeds" and it is cheaper insurance, and it is now for us 9 year and it goes up.
I wonder if you say we have a Bailey Caravan but it has bits from a Swift, Elldis, and Hymer, you could get cheaper insurance. ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our caravan will be 5 years old at end of this year. As we will never be able to afford a like for like replacement, we are unsure whether to switch to market value or pay the extra to CAMC for the Super cover?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Only you can decide if it’s worth it. Given it’s still a relatively new caravan it could be advantageous for a few years yet, until premiums then start to increase or cover isn’t extended.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC give super cover up to 15years old with their new replacement but subject to the sum insured you choose at inception. Due to the age of the Wyoming I’m now on standard cover. The question is do you want brand new or a used 5 year old if yours is written off?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
CAMC give super cover up to 15years old with their new replacement but subject to the sum insured you choose at inception. Due to the age of the Wyoming I’m now on standard cover. The question is do you want brand new or a used 5 year old if yours is written off?

We would prefer a brand new caravan as ours has increased in price by £10k since 5 years ago.
I am actually hoping that someone at some point inquired about the market value and also the Super to see the difference in premiums.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan will be 5 years old at end of this year. As we will never be able to afford a like for like replacement, we are unsure whether to switch to market value or pay the extra to CAMC for the Super cover?
I do not think the point about affording a new one is relevant. The policy will provide you with one if yours is badly damaged so that would be a benefit to you and useable. The question you have to ask yourself is whether hat extra benefit is worth the extra premium and only you can judge this.
Do be aware however that the policy will only replace the caravan if the damage is so severe the newer model would have been a write off.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do not think the point about affording a new one is relevant. The policy will provide you with one if yours is badly damaged so that would be a benefit to you and useable. The question you have to ask yourself is whether hat extra benefit is worth the extra premium and only you can judge this.
Do be aware however that the policy will only replace the caravan if the damage is so severe the newer model would have been a write off.
Why would they want to write off the newer model or have I misunderstood something?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ray , please can you expand on your last sentence. My CAMC Super cover does not mirror your statement. I know Insurers all have different wordings.. Just trying to understand.

Here’s an extract from my policy:

replace the caravan and/or equipment if lost, stolen or damaged beyond economic repair. A caravan is economically repairable if the cost of repair does not exceed the market value of your caravan at the time of the loss'
c. pay an amount equivalent to the value of any loss of or damage to the caravan and/or equipment. If repair is uneconomical and your cover is on a a new-for- old replacement value basis you will have the option of a cash settlement, but this will be based on the market value of those items only, or
d. settle the claim with a voucher to use at one of our preferred sup

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ray , please can you expand on your last sentence. My CAMC Super cover does not mirror your statement. I know Insurers all have different wordings.. Just trying to understand.

replace the caravan and/or equipment if lost, stolen or damaged beyond economic repair. A caravan is economically repairable if the cost of repair does not exceed the market value of your caravan at the time of the loss'
c. pay an amount equivalent to the value of any loss of or damage to the caravan and/or equipment. If repair is uneconomical and your cover is on a a new-for- old replacement value basis you will have the option of a cash settlement, but this will be based on the market value of those items only, or
DD I assume the above refers to market value insurance and not the Super cover.

May 7, 2012
Visit site

The problem is that from an insurers point of view a caravan is economically repairable if the cost of the repair will be cheaper than the replacement cost in these cases. Possibly the underwrites would take a generous view and replace but I have no experience of any claim at this level with the CAMH so cannot be sure how they would act, but it is a possibility particularly with the cheaper policies where cost are shaved to the bone. I think this is mainly theoretical, as getting damage that costs between the current value of the caravan and its replacement price is very unusual.
As I understand it they will leave you to negotiate for the new caravan provided you get a decent deal and will allow you to buy something different if need be if you decide to upgrade if you pay the difference in cost.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have got both our dogs insured one is 9 yrs old and the other 13years + and it just for the peace of mind . they are protected

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts