Newbie advice required

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi, hope this is in the correct section,
I will be looking at a private sale this weekend, my first question is. Is the Cris register check all i need to do on the van or is there another hpi sort of check i should consider before handing over my well earned cash?

Also where is the best place to look to insure my new purchase?

Thanks in advance .👍

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Cris is a start, HPi is also worthwhile. Then get an independent caravan engineer to thoroughly inspect your prospective purchase including a full damp check. You could buy a damp meter and do it yourself but be prepared to cover every inch of the caravan interior especially the wall to floor joints, all round all of the windows and door and the whole floor, under the seats and in cupboards. Check it’s got a good service history too. If it’s got any damp over about 15-20% walk away.
We have notice a sharp rise in new forum members who find they have bought a lemon and are seeking advice on what to do next.
My recommendation for insurance would be the Caravan and Motorhome Club ( nee Caravan Club). Won’t be the cheapest but are probably the best.
Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Other will tell you about Cris and HPI etc, but insurance:-

You need to tell your car insurer that you have modified the car by adding a tow bar, and presuming they have not added any other limiting factors, the whilst the caravan is attached to the car it is covered for third party claims as a road vehicle. It is always wise to check your insurance policy.

But there is no legal requirement to have insurance on the caravan or its contents, but it is a wise move, and if you have used a finance package to buy it they usually require you to have insurance as one of their T&C's.

As with all insurances, there are many policies from different suppliers, so you need to do some homework to work out which cover is best for you. Often the true worth of a policy is how much hassle it is to use, should you need to make a claim, and sadly the DEFACTQ rating does not cover that aspect, but you can reasonably assume the cheaper a policy is the harder they will try not to pay out.

Consequently I would suggest you should look at those companies with a good reputation, and for caravans, both of the main clubs have policies which are more specifically tailored to caravanning, and there are some other well respected companies such as the NFU and other established names, It may be a little more expensive, but they are generally more helpful and a lot less hassle.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
hi dont go out and buy everthing just take your time when we got our first van 22 years ago we went out got everything we could see but over the years we got rid a load of stuff the caravan is a lot lighter cheers .tom

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi Tom, cheers for information, i did exactly that when i got my campervan a few years ago and i am the same, there is so much of what i bought didnt get used 👍

Cheers,

Brian.

• Haha
Reactions: thomas_374576025
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Presumably you will view the van at the owners home - never agree to meet elsewhere like a half-way point. Check the paperwork and service record, hopefully including a damp report. Check the tyres for date marked on the sidewalls and of any spare. Check that everything works and get the seller to demonstrate anything you are uncertain about - you may be able to video with your phone! If the seller is ceasing to caravan you might get some gear thrown in, but be prepared to walk away if you are not entirely content. I ended up at a dealer with a good warranty as I'm afraid that the owners of several vans I viewed privately were at best 'economic with the truth'.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi, yes i am going to their address, they don't use the van so giving caravaning up, i am getting everything thrown in with the deal even a new full awning etc, the owner has full service history and damp reports for me the van is cris registerd they said i am welcome to do any checks and bring any company to check it over, i will defo check everything over as suggested and i got my new damp meter delivered today so all good

Cheers,

Brian..

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought, When we bought our first caravan, we were swayed by the " New awning worth £1000," included, upon getting it , it didn't suit our touring, big Lovely Doreama awning, Heavy, great if your away for a week. Weighed about 30 kg total. Took an hour and not a full divorce, in a bag. You can negotiate a better deal, £500 off and a nice small porch awning for weekends, then if you want buy a full awning for £200 on E Bay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, yes i am going to their address, they don't use the van so giving caravaning up, i am getting everything thrown in with the deal even a new full awning etc, the owner has full service history and damp reports for me the van is cris registerd they said i am welcome to do any checks and bring any company to check it over, i will defo check everything over as suggested and i got my new damp meter delivered today so all good

Cheers,

Brian..
Not everyone is out to con you. I put my van up for sale earlier this year on similar grounds to your sellers. I had it damp checked, replaced a dicky toilet rooflight with a broken handle and ensured everything worked. But since then it seems the only viable mode for getting a holiday, so it’s been reprieved. In 2014 we decided then to give up and sold everything. The van was sold to the car salesman where we negotiated the trade in of a XC70 for a Subaru. We didn’t buy a car from him but sold him the van and kit. He was returning to caravanning.
Some while back someone posted in similar circumstances to you and got an absolute gem with all kit etc in A1 condition. The sellers even rang them up after a week to ensure that everything was okay. So good luck in your viewing.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Not every seĺler sell them because of problems, because of this Covid Virus, our caravanning is changing, we like to go to pubs and eating places with friends, at times sharing caravans, with each others, ie, us up to the north then them coming to us. Rather than tow for a weekend. But now no sharing caravans. .
By the way, We are not, members of the PCSC. Which has a separate website.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not every seĺler sell them because of problems, because of this Covid Virus, our caravanning is changing, we like to go to pubs and eating places with friends, at times sharing caravans, with each others, ie, us up to the north then them coming to us. Rather than tow for a weekend. But now no sharing caravans. .
By the way, We are not, members of the PCSC. Which has a separate website.
What is PCSC?

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Was thinking the very same regarding the full awning , defo gonna buy a porch awning for the weekend use.

I have a Good feeling regarding the couple selling,but i will be very carefull.

Thanks for all the advice, much apriciated .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Have they owned the caravan from new if so it should have service history stamped up . Check everything from the Roof to the wheels .
We like porch awning
Good Luck with your viewing

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
They are second owners, first owner had it for 10 days then decided on a different layout.

Would dread to think what cash he lost on that decision lol.

👍👍

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They are second owners, first owner had it for 10 days then decided on a different layout.

Would dread to think what cash he lost on that decision lol.

👍👍
Don't worry to much, I had a mate who bought a Lunar with an end , bed then a month later changed it for a side bed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do need an HPI check as if the caravan is on HP then the finance company are the owners and take it back if the seller does not pay off the outstanding sums.
The advice above is all good but if you know anyone who knows about caravans then take them with you.
Do check the owner has proof of purchase and all the necessary service records and the service book has been stamped. Check the requirements to transfer what is left of the guarantee if you want the keep that.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,viewd van today absolutely mint , all paperwork history etc in order, only issue is the tyres are 2015 so worked somthing out regarding price,

Where can i phone for insurance ,any advice apriciated, don't want cheapest cover just reasonable price with a reputable firm .

Thanks,

👍👍

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
There are a number of insurers which provide caravan insurance. The 2 main clubs both offer covers which have been tailored for caravan owners but you have to be a member of the club to avail of their cover. As with most insurance, you need to shop around to ensure that the cover on offer meets your needs, however, most people appear to be happy with the club arrangements, and you can arrange cover over the phone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts