Newbie - How does towing affect mpg?

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone - I am a total newbie to caravans, we are about to purchase our first second hand van.
The issue is I have a petrol car (I have been told diesel is better for towing) which I cannot change at the moment as it was brand new just over 12 months ago.

The car is a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T Petrol - the book says 1500kg braked towing. The caravan I am looking at is a Bailey Ranger 540/6 2009 MTPLM 1306 kg.

What percentage will towing affect my MPGs please? Is there a website to calculate it? I currently get around 40-45mpg (average)on a motorway run - 30mpg around town. I am scared that I'll buy this van and get 10mpg or something! What realistically can I expect please?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a 2014 2.0 litre petrol non turbo Forester at 150bhp rated output. On solo journeys it would do around 35-38 mpg. Towing 1300 kg and with the car loaded it would be around 20-22 mpg. I don’t think that there is any way you can calculate it. But no doubt the figures don’t look great but you need to consider them in relation to the balance of towing mileage to solo mileage.
My present Car a 2.0 170ps auto 4wd diesel will do 50-55 mpg on a run and reduces to around 30 mpg when towing 1300 kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
mwilde said:
Hi everyone - I am a total newbie to caravans, we are about to purchase our first second hand van.
The issue is I have a petrol car (I have been told diesel is better for towing) which I cannot change at the moment as it was brand new just over 12 months ago.

The car is a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T Petrol - the book says 1500kg braked towing. The caravan I am looking at is a Bailey Ranger 540/6 2009 MTPLM 1306 kg.

What percentage will towing affect my MPGs please? Is there a website to calculate it? I currently get around 40-45mpg (average)on a motorway run - 30mpg around town. I am scared that I'll buy this van and get 10mpg or something! What realistically can I expect please?

Hi.

There is no simple way to predict what your towing MPG will be, the only certainty is it will be less than the solo vehicle. Even if I were to give you a figure, the chances are your actual figure would be different for a variety of reasons, which includes;-
The conditions you will actually drive in will be different to any test results,
How you drive will make a big difference, especially being new to towing your throttle responses will be going through a learning curve.

There are some tow car matching web sites that give extra information and they may provide an indication of what you might expect.

In practice I think if you are getting 30 around town, then your likely to see the towing figure drop to about 25mpg over all. But this is just as guess.

Can i draw your attention to the caravan industries guidance on car and caravan matching. The industry uses a comparator called the "towing ratio". This takes the caravan at its legal heaviest (MTPLM) and compares it to the car at its lightest (Kerbweight) and it recommends the caravan should be no more that 85% of the kerbweight. This is an arbitrary calculation and it takes no account of the vehicle manufacturers limits which must never be exceeded.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
My rule of thumb quite is that over all consumption will increase by about 25 - 30% depending on your driving practice and how heavy on the throttle you are.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Without analysing the figures in detail, with my 2015 Passat 2.0 Tdi and having had just a couple of cursory glances at the indicated MPG figures, I would say an increase of 40-50% in fuel consumption when towing the van on the motorway.

Then again I am quite heavily right-footed and prefer to enjoy driving rather than paying any attention to fuel consumption.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi, we started caravanning a couple of years ago and at the time had a '15 Range Rover Vogue (over 3 litres from memory). My husband was confident that towing wouldn't really affect the MPG all that much as it was such a heavy car, however it did drop quite a lot though I can't recall the numbers... I think we were only getting around 22mpg (average) when towing, and he does drive very carefully and not at all quickly. It does make you good at navigating your way around very busy fuel stations on the French autoroutes...

Now we travel fully laden and are 'that' family every other car on the autoroutes overtakes and stares at with those 'how much do they need?' looks - Audi Q7 with 4 bikes on the roof and twin axle caravan.Oh well. At least we're very comfortable when we arrive and have everything (including the kitchen sink) that we need :)

Enjoy!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the Prof in that the increase in fuel consumption varies with the combination and driving style, so predicting the effect on any given example is difficult. Basically the lighter the caravan and the more powerful the car will give you a lower increase.
In the example given here you are looking at a fairly small petrol engine towing well up its towing capacity and my guess would be a reduction near 50%. The lack of torque on a petrol engine will mean more fuel is used on the hills as you will need to use lower gears than you would with an equivalent diesel.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Mwilde, I can see where your coming from with this problem, and with all the other answers you have recieved are correct. Another big important thing as others have said it is Where you are towing, if we go to Norfolk its fairly flat and we can get maybe about 26 mpg. But over to Wales and hilly areas we can be down to about 22mpg. But to be truthfull the cost of the fuel is probably one of the least expensive part of touring in the caravan, site costs for awnings, a charge for 2 dogs at anything upto £3 each. We dont go away at bank holidays as the site costs shoot up.
Enjoy your carravanning,

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It's going to be about 25% down, unless you drive an old classic Range Rover 4.2litre, which does 13.8mpg, towing, solo, uphill or down!
You just get used to it. You cannot haul a couple of tons of outfit around and expect economy.

gyp

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I run a Quashkai 1,6 DIESEL. This has a 5 year average of 53 mpf including all towing a Lunar quasar 462 at 1175 MTPLM .
When towing I get about 30mpg .The 1,6 petrol will struggle to get 30mpg and has a much lower totque than the diesel. I wuld think that the 1.6 petrol may be underpowered with the caravan proposed

May 5, 2022
Visit site

I have a 2.2l diesel Honda CRV which normally does in the region of 45mpg. Towing our Elddis Avante 860 which has a loaded weight of approaching 1650kg i get around 24mpg.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My rule of thumb quite is that over all consumption will increase by about 25 - 30% depending on your driving practice and how heavy on the throttle you are.
I've found that a 50% increase has occurred on every vehicle I've towed caravans with over nearly 40 years - so if the OP is getting 40-45, I'd expect mid-high 20s when towing

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Mwilde, I can see where your coming from with this problem, and with all the other answers you have recieved are correct. Another big important thing as others have said it is Where you are towing, if we go to Norfolk its fairly flat and we can get maybe about 26 mpg. But over to Wales and hilly areas we can be down to about 22mpg. But to be truthfull the cost of the fuel is probably one of the least expensive part of touring in the caravan, site costs for awnings, a charge for 2 dogs at anything upto £3 each. We dont go away at bank holidays as the site costs shoot up.
Enjoy your carravanning,
I will now correct my reply, The cost of fuel is pobably the biggest cost now. I can possibly forsee Cl/cs pitches reducing costs especially if your off grid.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will now correct my reply, The cost of fuel is pobably the biggest cost now. I can possibly forsee Cl/cs pitches reducing costs especially if your off grid.
I don't share your optimism regarding pitch fees. Just like all of us site owners/operators will be experiencing inflationary pressures, from the aftermath of Covid, and now especially fuel and energy prices. They might also be experiencing staffing issues

I suspect they may try to hold price rises down as much as possible but ultimately I think even CL/CS's fees will have to rise.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The number of variables make an answer impossible.

Your own driving style ? This may well change when you tow.

A petrol engine develops its max torque at a higher RPM than diesel. You will find your Nissan may well perform better in a lower gear at higher rpm than higher gear “labouring”.
This is a factor that will affect your mpg.

Check the tyre pressures Per handbook for towing.
Generally look further ahead, read the road, avoid hard braking and acceleration.

Assume you will get 20 mpg initially, adjust your driving technique and you may see an improvement

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have a Qashqai 1.5dci. I tow a caravan that's about 1100kg which is within the 85% limit. Last week on a 6 hour journey through the Highlands, so mostly just A and B roads, we averaged 34mpg when towing. Since I had to drop the van into the dealers the same journey home 'sans' caravan we averaged 64mpg.

As they say....'mileage will vary...'

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Qashqai 1.5dci. I tow a caravan that's about 1100kg which is within the 85% limit.

85% is only advisory it's not a limit. Recurring references to "limit" or "rule" tend to reinforce the misinformation illusion that it has some regulatory base or even guarantee of safety, especially for novices who can trawl the internet for information.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
85% is only advisory it's not a limit. Recurring references to "limit" or "rule" tend to reinforce the misinformation illusion that it has some regulatory base or even guarantee of safety, especially for novices who can trawl the internet for information.
Prof, this is correct, but at least it means people should be safe. I would far rather people came on here or other forums for advice, the ones I worry about are those who see a towing limit twice the weight of the car and go for that. If people go for 85% they should be safe enough, but I do always refer to it as a recommendation by the industry rather than a limit or rule. Personally I think 90% is a better figure but we all have differing opinions and frankly none of them is correct for every case.

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Safety is not a guaranteed, and that's another reason why it's best not to give it extra credence by calling it a limit or a rule.
You make it sound as though the 85% recommendation in the Towing Code is a bad thing - it's not a bad thing, it's a good place for newbies to start and then make their OWN minds up when they get some experience.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
From my towing experience if you think around the 50% reduction then a higher figure is a bonus. As has been said there are so many variables, one of which for me is standing traffic queues of which there have been a lot recently on the M42 south of Birmingham and the M6 east of the city.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts