Newbie needs advice

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
Hello we have just bought our first van an elddis crusader typhoon (o8).We are wanting to purchase a new Air awning. Anyone able to advise if this awning would fit my van?

Its a Westfield Porch awning with the following details
HH 3000mm
Awning Rail Height 235 - 250 cm
Width 390 cm
Depth 235 cm
Packed 103 x 30 x 29 cm
Weight 14.4 kg
Optional Extras:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum.
There are You Tube recordings like This One that demonstrate how to measure your awning rail correctly.
Measure the 390cm width from the front edge of the caravan door to either cover a window or for the porch to fit between the windows without coming half way across either of them.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum. With a porch awning there is no substitute to measuring the van. As Parksy says, you are trying to avoid the awning wall crossing a window or locker door. It might not be a deal breaker if it does, but better to avoid if possible. Looking at a picture of your model; you have a bit of straight rail between the edge of the door and the back of the van; that might give you enough wiggle room to get the awning to end between the two side windows ( although I am doubtful :unsure: ) If a 390 is too big for this, you can get awnings in a 330 cm size.
Good luck
Mel

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
Thanks folks. Have asked a friend to take the measurements for me. Hoping to head away at Easter so would be great if i could the awning for then.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you haven’t booked a pitch, suggest you do so ASAP as posts on here indicate many are filling up fast.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Try and find an awning that doesn't go half way over the window and possibly the storage door, ours only just fits over and so in the summer sleeping with the bedroom window open is ok, ( caravan with side bed). Don't rush into it, you will find the right one in the end, for us its Mel's one the Vango.

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for all the advice. I got the van measured from the back off the van to the start of the living section window. It measured 12ft 4 inch. this works out at 375.92cm. The awning size is Width 390 cm. 14cm bigger. The guy selling the awning said the extra 15 cms is OK - any advice? Also thank for advice re booking Mel secured 4 nights on a site was told i was lucky!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Weeplaza said:
Thank you for all the advice. I got the van measured from the back off the van to the start of the living section window. It measured 12ft 4 inch. this works out at 375.92cm. The awning size is Width 390 cm. 14cm bigger. The guy selling the awning said the extra 15 cms is OK - any advice? Also thank for advice re booking Mel secured 4 nights on a site was told i was lucky!

With this size of awning it sounds like it will be covering your front window by 15 cms. Remember the curve at the back of the van. Measure your van from the back of your front window, towards the back of the van, to where the back of the awning would come down. Maybe a 350 or 29O, would be better, DON'T BUY YET. ., go out look at others on site Measure and then buy, People are more than happy to let you see and measure their awnings and it's a nice way to meet folk.
Good luck.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Weeplaza said:

Hutch is right, it may well cover the window. However, there can be a difference between the distance apart of the side walls of the awning and the length of the Kador ( that is the beaded strip that goes in the awning rail). Generally the Kador extends past the where the awning walls drop. The excess Kador can bend down the curve at the back and extend over the windo but the walls will fall inside this. If you look at pictures of awnings you will see how the Kador is wider than the walls. If you can find an awning website that gives the actual distance apart of the walls as ell as the length of the Kador it may help you.
For example on our tiny Elddis 302 we fit a Vango 250 Rapide. The Kador is 250 cm long but the awning walls are 240 cm apart and we can therefore get it to fit our 243 cm of straight rail. It still crosses a window though, but there is no escaping that on a van as small as a 302.
Crossing a window is not necessarily a deal breaker though and if you can live with it, it does give you more choice.
Glad you got a pitch.
Mel
P.s. have you looked at Vango awnings. I really rate my Rapide (as does Hutch who covets it :cheer: B) They do a Varkala at 360 cm wide. You get everything you need including poles, pads and decent pegs and the quality is really good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts