Newbie question - what caravan layout best for 18 month old?

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

We're ex-campers, but now we've got a little one the lure of a roof over our head and heating has got the better of us!

Having started to look into what caravan we could get I'm amazed (and confused) at the number of different layouts, so I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone could give about what layout would be the best for caravaning with a toddler (and potentially another baby in the next couple of years)? I also think we are also relatively limited for towing weight as we don't have a 4x4, just a vectra 1.8 petrol estate.

Any suggestions as to a particular layout or make/model would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Firstly, check what your Vectra can tow.

We had a 2.0 diesel vectra estate, and thought brilliant I bet we have a great towing limit. So was very disappointed to discover that it was only 1200kg. Being 1.8 and petrol, I would say it was less than 1200kg.

If you let us know the year and model, one of us on here will be able to check your towing limit. Then, you will be able to see what you can legally tow.

tj1

Aug 23, 2008
Visit site
welcome subtoe you can check the towing limit on www.whattowcar,just for example a bailey ranger 510/4 which is a side dinette and end bathroom, if you type this in with the car details it gives you some idea of the towing limits .

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I had problems trying to find the towing weights for our vectra. I looked on Auto Trader for you, and if you look under technical against a car they are selling similar to yours it gives you lots of information for towing under the heading "dimensions".

From what I can make out although not 100% sure, as not sure whether your model is a 1.8i, but it says 1400 kg towing limit.

This weight should get you a nice four berth family caravan, maybe even a six. We have just bought a brand new Adria Altea 542DT (6 berth) with mtplm of 1300 kg.

Hope this has helped!!!

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and your bits of research on my behalf.

I've also done a bit more digging and confirmed (by calling Vauxhall!) that the max tow on my car is 1,300kg and it has a kerb weight of 1,400kg. So, based on this I've narrowed down our choices to the following:

Bailey Ranger - 500/5 1,268kg MTPLM / 90% safe towing ratio

Adria Altea 542DK 1,300kg MTPLM / 93% safe towing ratio

Explorer Xplore 495 1,300kg MTPLM / 93% safe towing ratio

Lunar Zenith 5 1,217kg MTPLM / 86% towing ratio

Any comments on the above choices and the fact that none of the towing ratios are below the 85% recommended by the Caravan Club?

Also, what I don't understand, and what my common sense tells me, is if there is more weight in my car (two adults, child, luggage etc) and less than the maximum load in the caravan (because more in the car), then the safe towing ratios will change for the better i.e. car weight could go upto 1,500kg and caravan may only be loaded to 1,200kg i.e. 80%? Is my thinking right or am I missing something?

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Stubtoe

we changed to a Elddis Avante Club 505 last year. Possibly too heavy for your car but the layout may interest you (check out the Elddis website for pictures).

Why it suits us is that having the rear diner area allows for our little to have his own space to sleep , play and store his junk (sorry toys).

Also you have an area that in the day allows the family to spread out or to leave the table set up for meals.

Your compromise is the washroom , this is relatively small , however if you are happy using site facilities for showering / bathing little one not an issue.

You could use it to shower little one but a bit fiddly.

You other choices of layout would be rear bunks but at 18 months probably a tad young for bunks.

I looked at the side dinette option but decided that it was too close to us at night and would probably disturb my son after he'd gone to bed (usually about 19:30).

Our layout is such that the rear diner will seat 4 comfortably but you can get layouts where the diner is a two seater.

As already mentioned I think your car may not be upto the weights of modern family vans even relatively light ones , ours is 1500kg all in.

Good luck

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stubtoe.

We have an ace award nightstar which has a dinette either end. we started caravaning with 2 young children.6 years ago and we found this lay out useful.my children are 10 and 7 years now and we still have the same van and we still think it was the best layout for us. Handy table and area for them in the daytime for colouring, playing etc.and a lovely big bed at night.. yes the shower room is small but we tend to stick to sites that have good facilities and have only ever used the shower for real emergencies for the kids as a last resort.

carmen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts