Newbie with Lunar Clubman SB

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi all.
Just sold my 2011 Bailey Orion and moved up to a Lunar Clubman S B which we collect tomorrow.
Its a "small dealer" selling it so will not have a thorough handover as he is not an expert.
It has got manuals however so I have a lot of reading to do over next few days re Alde wet heating etc.
Any advice from fellow clubman owners would be appreciated!

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
I cannot see why even. a small dealer cannot give a good handover. But good luck with the new van anyway.
Well he is a caravan dealer but only buys and sells about 1 a month. Has a gardening business so can't advise a lot about the intricacies of this particular caravan.
Thanks for the good luck comment.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well he is a caravan dealer but only buys and sells about 1 a month. Has a gardening business so can't advise a lot about the intricacies of this particular caravan.
I hope he’s good then at surveying for any damp otherwise you’ll be relying on whatever warranty is given plus it’s exclusions. Check when it was last serviced by an AWS technician and its most recent damp survey. If he doesn’t know a lot about vans I’d get it fully serviced by an AWS technician/workshopassume you did not have a pre purchased inspection ?
Before departing check tyre pressures and age. Check noseweight and carry some additional weights such that you can increase or reduce noseweight suitable for your car.
Lunar made nice caravans. Most of the equipment is common to other caravan makes. What will be specific to Lunar are external body panels, and internal fitments. I don’t know how easy these are to source if they get damaged or break as Lunar went out of business some years ago.

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
I hope he’s good then at surveying for any damp otherwise you’ll be relying on whatever warranty is given plus it’s exclusions. Check when it was last serviced by an AWS technician and its most recent damp survey. If he doesn’t know a lot about vans I’d get it fully serviced by an AWS technician/workshopassume you did not have a pre purchased inspection ?
Before departing check tyre pressures and age. Check noseweight and carry some additional weights such that you can increase or reduce noseweight suitable for your car.
Lunar made nice caravans. Most of the equipment is common to other caravan makes. What will be specific to Lunar are external body panels, and internal fitments. I don’t know how easy these are to source if they get damaged or break as Lunar went out of business some years ago.
Thanks collecting it but then booking it straight in for a full service and tyre and damp check etc before going anywhere else in it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks collecting it but then booking it straight in for a full service and tyre and damp check etc before going anywhere else in it.
Remember that you are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and if there is anything serious in the first 30 days you have the option of rejecting the caravan for a full refund.

Hopefully you will be using an Approved Workshop Scheme technician? The technician if they are good should do a damp test first before doing any servicing. Do not let the technician that is servicing the caravan do any serious repairs only minor otherwise the supplier can refuse to refund.

Hopefully all goes well with no issues and that you can have many happy holidays in your new caravan.

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Can you pay for it on your credit card?
Probably not, did a damp check myself and checked cooker fridge water etc. No signs of damp stains in caravan or underneath.
Full service and probably new tyres before using it. It is a 2012 and I know I am
taking a chance but nearly 4k cheaper than local dealers. Gathered elderly couple owned it and only used it very occasionally over last 4 years since covid commenced. Caravan in pristine condition apart from small scratch/dent on nearside probably from awning pole.
Full service obviously needed.

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Remember that you are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and if there is anything serious in the first 30 days you have the option of rejecting the caravan for a full refund.

Hopefully you will be using an Approved Workshop Scheme technician? The technician if they are good should do a damp test first before doing any servicing. Do not let the technician that is servicing the caravan do any serious repairs only minor otherwise the supplier can refuse to refund.

Hopefully all goes well with no issues and that you can have many happy holidays in your new caravan.
Thanks for advice and comments. It seems a lot bigger, more complex and more plush than my Orion.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Probably not, did a damp check myself and checked cooker fridge water etc. No signs of damp stains in caravan or underneath.
Full service and probably new tyres before using it. It is a 2012 and I know I am
taking a chance but nearly 4k cheaper than local dealers. Gathered elderly couple owned it and only used it very occasionally over last 4 years since covid commenced. Caravan in pristine condition apart from small scratch/dent on nearside probably from awning pole.
Full service obviously needed.
All my caravans bar one have had damp at some time or other. But none exhibited staining or musty smells. Damp can spread at percentage levels that require attention and often can only be diagnosed using a damp meter. If it gets to smelling and panel staining there’s a serious problem. Hopefully your will be okay.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
All my caravans bar one have had damp at some time or other. But none exhibited staining or musty smells. Damp can spread at percentage levels that require attention and often can only be diagnosed using a damp meter. If it gets to smelling and panel staining there’s a serious problem. Hopefully your will be okay.
Yes damp meter used.👍

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Pablo
Us old lags on here tend to be super cautious hence some of the guarded comments regarding FSH , damp monitoring , method of payment , Comsumer Rights Act 2015,etc. Hopefully this will be a happy successful transaction and all parties will be happy.
Here‘s too many happy trips in your new baby.
My final word, suggestion, if you are unsure why not ask an AWS engineer to give you pre purchase survey , a cost of course but it is your money.

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Yes, see your sensible point. No time really. Trying to get an engineer to visit quickly would be difficult in my rural area and van would have been sold before I could arrange.
Van is 11 years old and is in excellent nick. Electric hob not even marked, fridge pristine, beds unmarked, cushions plumped, blinds well tensioned, floor not bouncy, no damp readings above 14 on my meter etc. Could'nt fault it so worth a punt. Accept the fact that tyres will probably be required and hopefully minor things at the full service. circa £500?
Keep your fingers crossed for me, it is not often I go gung ho!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes, see your sensible point. No time really. Trying to get an engineer to visit quickly would be difficult in my rural area and van would have been sold before I could arrange.
Van is 11 years old and is in excellent nick. Electric hob not even marked, fridge pristine, beds unmarked, cushions plumped, blinds well tensioned, floor not bouncy, no damp readings above 14 on my meter etc. Could'nt fault it so worth a punt. Accept the fact that tyres will probably be required and hopefully minor things at the full service. circa £500?
Keep your fingers crossed for me, it is not often I go gung ho!

Surely the dealer should replace the tyres if they need changing, check the date on them, before taking delivery, or get themm knocked off the price.
My current van I had the dealer change my tyres as they were just over 5 years old. No quibble from them whatsoever.
Good luck with the new van though.

Reactions: Dustydog
Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
You are right of course. Dealer is a loose term for a friendly but basic gardener who obtains a caravan a month and sells it! He doesnt know how old the tyres are and doesnt know the last 4 sidewall marked digits are week and year.
I am quite prepared to change the tyres. On my last Orion the main dealer put 3 on when purchased in July 2019. Had to have 1 replaced in March this year due to cracking. Less than 4 years old.
I will only be happy if I have new ones fitted so I know their history of in detail.
👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts