Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi have recently joined and thought I would introduce myself. I bought an old Elddis Tornado (1984 ish) with full awning earlier in the year and managed to get away in it a few times and am totally hooked on caravanning. Even the kids say I'm caravan mad! Managed to get the fridge running on gas, water pump, lights etc work so pleased at that. No EHU but just use the one for a tent works a treat.

Due to space restrictions I am towcarless at the moment but hope to get sorted in time for the Easter hols. Currently trying to update the caravan a bit, curtains done and in the middle of updating upholstery. Had a caravan repair man have a look at it but he wasn't much interested in doing anything to it apart from check the gas,he didn't appreciate old vans, said I should stick to something not older than 3 years old! Didn't listen to him though, in the new year hopefully will get someone else to take a look at the brakes etc. I'm willing to get my hands dirty and am going to redo all the seals.

Would be greatful for any advice, just don't tell me to get rid of it. I'm probably mad but on the whole it's in great nick and it would be a shame to get rid of it just because it looks dated.

Happy caravaning

T

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Welcome, Tracey.

What a load of rubbish that 'caravan repair man' told you! We've all got to start somewhere, and there's nothing whatsoever wrong with having an older or classic caravan. Indeed, it makes perfect sense NOT to buy a new van for your first venture into caravanning, as you don't know whether or not you'll enjoy it (I suppose that could happen, oddly!!!), and then you've got an expensive mistake on your hands that nevertheless has already lost a lot in depreciation.

I'm glad you love it so much, it does get in your blood. It does make sense to have it checked over regularly by a competent caravan repair man, the MCEA http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/ are an approved body of qualified mobile engineers who come to you and are very reasonably priced. No, I don't work for them, lol.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Taggie, welcome to the Practical Caravan forum and congratulations on becoming one of us! It doesn't matter how old or new you caravan is as long as you enjoy using it and there are loads of caravans well over 3 years old being used regularly.
My guess is that the muppet who looked at yours wanted to sell one to you
rolleyes.gif

It would be a good idea to have the brakes, hitch and tyres checked by a competent caravan service engineer as Sue mentioned, good luck with choosing a tow car. If you have any questions just ask.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the messages, glad that someone agrees. It does make sense not to buy new right away, this lets me make all my mistakes cheaply. Don't get me wrong when you look at a brochure for a new caravan they look great but then I think, mine will look great too. The outside won't change much but a good clean up will make a difference for a start. Will get some phots sorted eventually.

Regarding a tow car, a relative has a Santa Fe that I am hopeful of buying, should tow my caravan no problem.
Thanks

Tracey

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tracey Don't forget to take some pictures of any repairs or modifications that you carry out to your caravan. Have a look at This Topic by Practical Caravan Magazine editor Nigel Donnelly. You never know,you might get a few quid towards your next outing
smiley-laughing.gif

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that, have just managed to get into the caravan, past the avalanche of snow to re-instate some of the seats to check how they look, will get some before and after pics done. I am about to put on the hot air fan to heat the place up a bit, -12 last night.

Tracey

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts