Newbies

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
We have just bought our first motorhome, wife has called her Rosie😉It's a Compas Envoy 115, 2.2L turbo diesel 2008 Peugeot Boxer base with 19,000 miles. Obviously very New to motorhoming and thought joining this group we can gain a lot of help and useful information that to be quite honest we haven't a clue about🙄

Reading up on everything I can but you can't beat the practical knowledge from people who have been there, done that and are out out, doing it as I speak. We only wanted a small van as we live on the Isle of Wight and the lanes are pretty narrow, but something a bit bigger that a Camper Van as we want to spend time away in France, Spain, Greece etc at some point.

Picking the van up in 3 weeks, it is pre- owned in very good condition, great how motorhomers really look after there vans😁It will have all the usual checks carried out and we are going to stay over in a local site for a couple of nights to test everything out🤓Left onboard is a couple of chocs for levelling, some mud slip plastic pads, and hook up cables, so what I would like to ask is what essential other stuff do we need please? We want to keep everything simple, and we travel light, not really into gadgets unless they are useful for a motorhome and camping. Oh we are getting a 120w solar panel fitted as we love nature and would like to off-grid as much as possible. Also onboard is a 6kg gas bottle.

So thank you in advance for any help, tips and websites and we hope as we get a bit more seasoned😉 We can post some useful info and help others in the group😊

Ross & Lorraine Groves🥂

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not familiar with the motorhome as we have a caravan, but does it have an onboard water and waste water tanks? If not then you would need to purchase aquarolls and wastemaster.

Are you buying privately or from a dealership? That could make a big difference.

Reactions: RossyG
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello welcome to the firu
Hi Everyone,
We have just bought our first motorhome, wife has called her Rosie😉It's a Compas Envoy 115, 2.2L turbo diesel 2008 Peugeot Boxer base with 19,000 miles. Obviously very New to motorhoming and thought joining this group we can gain a lot of help and useful information that to be quite honest we haven't a clue about🙄

Reading up on everything I can but you can't beat the practical knowledge from people who have been there, done that and are out out, doing it as I speak. We only wanted a small van as we live on the Isle of Wight and the lanes are pretty narrow, but something a bit bigger that a Camper Van as we want to spend time away in France, Spain, Greece etc at some point.

Picking the van up in 3 weeks, it is pre- owned in very good condition, great how motorhomers really look after there vans😁It will have all the usual checks carried out and we are going to stay over in a local site for a couple of nights to test everything out🤓Left onboard is a couple of chocs for levelling, some mud slip plastic pads, and hook up cables, so what I would like to ask is what essential other stuff do we need please? We want to keep everything simple, and we travel light, not really into gadgets unless they are useful for a motorhome and camping. Oh we are getting a 120w solar panel fitted as we love nature and would like to off-grid as much as possible. Also onboard is a 6kg gas bottle.

So thank you in advance for any help, tips and websites and we hope as we get a bit more seasoned😉 We can post some useful info and help others in the group😊

Ross & Lorraine Groves🥂
i answered this when it first appeared but it disappeared and my input with it. Look at both club websites lots of good information. Join both clubs as you might like the five unit Certified Sites/Locations as they really open up so many areas of UK from a plain field to sites with facilities to rival The Ritz. I joined both clubs ostensibly for a year in order to make a choice. The rest is history as I maintained my dual membership.
Welcome to the Forum and happy travels .

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Not familiar with the motorhome as we have a caravan, but does it have an onboard water and waste water tanks? If not then you would need to purchase aquarolls and wastemaster.

Are you buying privately or from a dealership? That could make a big difference.
Hi,
Yes we have water and waste onboard, and buying from a dealership👍

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Hello welcome to the firu

i answered this when it first appeared but it disappeared and my input with it. Look at both club websites lots of good information. Join both clubs as you might like the five unit Certified Sites/Locations as they really open up so many areas of UK from a plain field to sites with facilities to rival The Ritz. I joined both clubs ostensibly for a year in order to make a choice. The rest is history as I maintained my dual membership.
Welcome to the Forum and happy travels .
Thanks for the reply, we have joined the club so hopefully get the info we need from other members etc👍

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Rather than spend a fortune on cutlery,crockery etc from caravan shops,try places like Wilko,Poundstretcher and save a fortune.

Good luck with your motorhome and travels.👍

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, most thing carry over from caravans to Motorhomes, my main thoughts are don't buy too much straight away, for yor MH. We bought all the lightweight kettles etc. 900 watt stuff took 15 minutes to boil 2 cups of water. Get a full power one that only boils a litre. Things like that. Small salt shakers, after two or three trips in winter they get damp. And have to be thrown away or dried out at home. Little stuff other will come back with.
Over all enjoy your new fun.

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, most thing carry over from caravans to Motorhomes, my main thoughts are don't buy too much straight away, for yor MH. We bought all the lightweight kettles etc. 900 watt stuff took 15 minutes to boil 2 cups of water. Get a full power one that only boils a litre. Things like that. Small salt shakers, after two or three trips in winter they get damp. And have to be thrown away or dried out at home. Little stuff other will come back with.
Over all enjoy your new fun.
Many thanks, some good tips 👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Friends of ours bought a MH and were really surprised at how quickly the payload would have been used up had they equipped it as planned. Summer DVSA checks show a significant percentage are overloaded. I always weighed new fully laden caravans on a public weighbridge then stuck rigorously to my spreadsheets.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Ross and Lorraine.
There will be lots of things that may initially confuse you. Please feel free to ask us guys and ladies no matter how trivial the question may be . We all had to learn once. Equipment is personal bar the usual domestic stuff. We tend to have “caravan “ tools and clothes. Amazing how many repairs we all do in our travels🤪. If you have the space and load margin carry two 6kg propane gas bottles. Beware of the sat nav. They don’t all recognise you are a caravan or motor home!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts