Newby Needing Advice On French Touring Holidays.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi.

We are looking at touring in France Nr. Paris next year for approx 2 weeks. However having NEVER been abroad before let alone towing a caravan, I could do with some advice on a couple points.

Which is the best way to book sites and ferry etc? I am a member of c&cc, would it be best to book everything as one package with these?

Also how do you find driving on the other side of the road? Is it something which can be easily picked up? I believe there's a few things I need to carry in car such as spare bulb etc.

Any other things I need to know about touring abroad would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks, Dan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dan

We always book everything seperately, ferry, site and insurance, so far for us it has worked out cheaper doing it this way, although it may not suit everyone.

There are a few things you need to carry with you such as high vis jackets spare bulbs a warning triangle, there are probably a few other things you need to have as well

G

Dan

Gill is right use the net to search for best prices inc cc

Driving is fairly straightforward,as long as you have good mirrors for towing specially on the lhs, I set up my rhs mirror as far out as I can to enable me to see as much of whats behind as possible. Autoroutes are by and large less busy than our m/ways but can be pricey If you plan on going to Paris try not to go near the Peripherique (the ring road round Paris) anywhere around rush hour morning or evening.Good luck and enjoy !

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You'll probably find it cheaper to book everything yourself - it's so easy now, with most sites taking internet bookings, so you don't even have to speak French (though it does help when you actually get there to be able to speak a little, and to understand replies)!!! Generally roads in France have less traffic than in England, but I personally wouldn't try to go too near to Paris with the caravan on the back as roads around Paris are extremely busy (and fast!!!).

When are you planning on going? Sites in France tend only to get full for about four weeks from mid-July to mid-August - and outside these weeks you may not need to book sites at all. We always go in May/June, and then again in August/September, and never book a site. We use Camping Cheques, so we can go-as-we-please - and if we don't like a site, or the weather is bad, then we move on somewhere else. It's also much cheaper to go outside peak season if you possibly can. I know most people think it's crazy to go without booking, but you really don't need to. Sites in France are of a very high standard, mostly, and even middle-sized towns often have a 'Municipal' campsite, which can be very cheap. You'll find every variety of site, from the largest 'all-singing, all-dancing', to just a pitch in the corner of an orchard on a lovely farm site.

Have you already decided on a site? If so, someone on here may know more of the site, and be able to offer a 'review'.

There are some really good tips for first-timers in a posting on UKCS website - look under Forums, then Caravanning and Camping abroad, and then 'Tips for Continental First-timers' - you'll find everything you need to know there.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Val, the site we were looking at was called Des 4 Vents(they have a website). I already had a post on here and it has some good reviews. What swung it for us is the owners speak English and it's only 15 mins drive from Disneyland althugh we'll probably use the train.

I don't speak any French at all but I have over 12 month to learn a few bits.

We would be looking at going probably August as it needs to be during school hols.

Thanks again, Dan.

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dan and Paula, you will need a hi vis jacket each ,replacment bulb kit,first aid box,breakdown triangle and fire extuingisher a spare pair of driving glasses is a good idea aswell as a pair of sun glasses. a good pair of driving mirrors. also a proper map and a sat nav is a God send it takes all the stress and guesswork out of driving. and of course a tool kit and jack and a spare wheel,a torch also

as for driving on the other side of the road its easy as the roads are so good and services are fantastic you will pick it up quickly.

as we come from ireland im not sure what ferries are there but shop around you have a much better choice available in the uk.

With regard to site booking we always use alan rodgers guides and the camping cheque guide you will find them if you google them (needless to say the net) and of course there is this forum and its very helpful members which has been invaluable to me on many occasions.

ferries and sites are generally more expensive high season, booking your site is a good idea if you plan to stay for your full holiday but unless you know the site you might end up stuck with it if you dont like it,or you may prefer to tour around a couple of days at a time in different sites. Also a big bonus is an awning of some type it gives you extra space and allows you to keep the clutter out of the van. and if you dont speak french a phrase book and a couple of magazines and books to keep you occupied.I would also bring a fan( if its high season) and a adaptor plus extension lead. Also a chair each for outside with a table to eat on.

I could keep going as there is loads more to think of but half the fun is making a list of stuff you think of while away and getting it sorted for the next time round. happy caravaning and best of luck. luke

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Dan - have a great holiday. Haven't been to 4 Vents, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You'll find that most site owners and reception staff speak enough English for you to get by - certainly all the basics to do with renting you a pitch, anyway!

You'll find that within 20 minutes of coming off the ferry that driving on the 'wrong' side won't seem so bad. Just remember to get your OH to look out when you're overtaking, and remember 'keep your bum in the gutter' when you come out of petrol stations, go around roundabouts, come up to junctions, etc., and you won't go far wrong.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dan

We took our caravan to France for the first time last year and these are a few of our findings. It may be cheaper to book separetely but you may feel more confident the first tiime by booking everything through the clubs. We used the Caravan Club for site, ferry etc. Des 4 Vents was also one of our destinations enroute to Italy.

Des 4 Vents is a nice site in an orchard setting so many trees which gives a nice feel. Pitches are a good size, and the owner very helpful and as said, English speaking. There is a small village a short drive away where you can park and catch the train to Paris. DO NOT be tempted to drive anywhere near Paris with the caravan as it would be a nightmare. The road bypassing Paris enroute to Des 4 Vents is fine however. Roads generally are much quieter and as Val said you soon get used to driving on the right.

The first time you come off the Ferry follow the car in front - there is a good chance it will be French - but just go slowly.

Upon approaching your first roundabout look for a yellow diamond shaped roadsign. This denotes YOU have priority. If there is a red inverted triangle, then YOU must give way, usually to traffic coming from your left. At roundabouts, stay in the right hand lane as you will find this easier for exiting.

We preferred to use the Tolls to start with to get our confidence. Some lanes have pictures of wheels on the gantry overhead - these are for lorries as we found to our cost!! and you may have to reverse out as the 'catchers' and slots for cards are at lorry height. Most Tolls have screens at car height with often tell you how much the cost of your journey has been in case you don't understand how much the assistant is telling you.

In the meantime if you go to the Caravan Club website they do a leaflet for first timers to Europe. This gives a list of everything you will need plus all the paperwork you must have and you can tick these off as you get them.

Sorry this is a bit long but it covers the main findings we had last year. It all sounds much worse and complicated than it is once you are actually doing the journey, so just get prepared and then have a great time. If you need any more info. please ask.

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I rarely book as I do not go during the peak holiday periods in July and August.

Driving in France is like driving in GB 30 years ago - wonderful.

Enjoy.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Agree with what has been said,I have always booked via Select Sites or CC and price has always compared with direct but without the hassle and the comfort of knowing if a problem occurs they are there to help.Peace of mind in a foreign country is worth a few quid particularly on your first trip.I think Hi viz jackets are onlymandatory in Spain not France but worth having anyway.Also get polarity tester (cheap) and a reverse lead.

Finally as said not a good idea for you first trip but the Perpherique around Paris is not as bad as many make out,at the end of the day you still only have a car to the front,rear and side the same as on any road.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Many Thanks All...

I'm sure once I've been it will be much easier next time. Just having never been before I'm trying to get a picture in my head of what to expect. I will certainly follow all advice given. You've all been brilliant.

Thanks again, Dan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts