Next towcar

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I know it's an oft asked question here, but only because it's such an important decision, but I cuurently tow my 2008 Lunar Qasar 524 with a 56 plate Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Estate, actually reasonably happily except for the almost alraming dip from car rear end through the coupling despite the noseweight of the Qasar being aslow as I can make it. So , in pondering a change of car I have the following criteria and would appreciate suggestions based on experience which I know the forum has in abundance!
I have a 60 mile round commute each day so need reasonable fuel economy - currently 49 mpg ish at present - down to 35 ish when towing. I'm quite tall at 6' 4". I would have a budget of about £15k plus about £4k for the Mondeo. I don't have any particular preference for a make or style except appreciating the load space ther estate has given me, so any suggestions very welcome.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
The cheapest option would be to have uprated suspension on the rear of your current car. However, if you're really set on changing, what about the new Mondeo estate as your current one has given you good service. They are a cracking car. Ford must be one of the most under-rated manufacturers there is.
At a towing event I was speaking to a well respected vehicle tester and contributor to a National motoring magazine, and asked him if he was dipping into his own pocket for a car what would he have? His response was "if I could have anything, I'd probably have a Porsche Cayman(?) as it's so well sorted it's not worth spending the extra on the 911 etc. However if I had to be sensible, it would be the Mondeo, because it too is such a good car. I certainly wouldn't pay for a so called premium marque that's no better." Having driven both myself, I would agree.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,
I'm not entirely clear what your question is?, I understand that you are contemplating changing your car, but I'm not clear on your reason.

If its because you find the car "almost alraming dip from car rear end through the coupling despite the noseweight of the Qasar being aslow as I can make it" or is for some other reason i.e age or wearing out new company car?.

If its the first reason, then I think you need to investigate the nose load further. The only reason for a cars suspension to compress excesivly is if it is either overloaded or if the suspesnsion or tyres are worn, poorly adjusted or damaged.It makes me wonder if despite your efforts the nose load was still greater than the cars limit.

The use of spring assisters does nothing to increase the load capacity.

I have never yet found a caravan that cannot be trimmed to produce the required nose load.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
santa fe you can get 5 or 7 seats so much more space in back 5 years back up well worth a look every one ive said this too have been suprised when they get in one.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Am I correct in thinking that the previous generation Mondeo estates had self-levelling rear suspension? If that is the case, it would suggest that either you units have failed (allowing the sag, which could well be more pronounced as springs are often a little softer with the self-levelling), or that the nose weight of your caravan is far too heavy and therefore overloading the units?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like the Mondeo's rear end needs some TLC.
smiley-wink.gif

Your Quasar is circa mtplm is 1360kgs.
Economy seems your primary consideration with boot space so maybe another Mondeo or VW Passat estate and the like.
Do you intend upgrading your Quasar in the next few years? That could influence your choice?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips and advice. Not really thinking of changing the Quasar for a while - very happy with it for just the two of us. Could be that in trying to keep the van load down I've overpacked the estate with awning, inflatable dinghy etc. leading to the sag. Quite fancy the idea of a higher driving position in a Honda CR-V or Santa Fe. Suppose it's all compromise betrween the various criteria in the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts