Nissan Qashqai

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Wayway, and welcome to the forum.

Can you please tell us the cars kerbweight and maximum braked trailer weight from the handbook or V5 and it's Gross Vehicle Weight, and Gross Train Weight from the cars data plate?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How practical is it to tow a 1250kg caravan with a 2019 Nissan Qashqai 1331cc petrol

The 2019 Qashqai 140 has a kerbweight of 1300kg and can tow up to 1300kg, The 2019 Qashqai 160 kerbweight of 1300kg and can tow up to 1500kg.
Neither are a safe combination as you are towing at 96% of the kerbweight. You need to be looking at a caravan with MTPLM under 1200kg.

Reactions: Wayway

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
For what its worth I have a J10 2012 Qashqai 1.5 diesel. Supposedly it has a kerb weight of just over 1300kg so I tow a 1100kg van which is at the 85% limit.

It tows very well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The 2019 Qashqai 140 has a kerbweight of 1300kg and can tow up to 1300kg, The 2019 Qashqai 160 kerbweight of 1300kg and can tow up to 1500kg.
Neither are a safe combination as you are towing at 96% of the kerbweight. You need to be looking at a caravan with MTPLM under 1200kg.
Where does the 1200 kg come from?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'd disagree with Buckman; if it's 96% kerbweight it'll be fine BUT what's the tow rating of the Nissan, officially rated by Nissan-that is your legal limiting factor. You won't I assume tow with an empty Quashqai; load the car not the caravan and your safety margin is improved again. I'd say simple answer to your question, perfectly practical. And as for power we towed 1480kg with a 109bhp petrol -needed to stir the gears but it was an excellent tow!

But research this and any forum and you'll see the kerbweight thing is a bone of contention and based on very little or no research ; just anecdotal evidence and an assumption of physics ie that a heavier car can control a lighter van. Given harmonics and oscillating frequencies personally I think this is rubbish and a caravan going into a weave won't be controlled by much other than slowing down and getting it right in the first place! Have a read round this and any forum and gather from it what you will!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Qashqai has been produced with a wide range of engines and transmissions. Different versions apparently have different maximum braked towed weight limits, and other weight limits so it is vitally important to know what the cars data plate says.

Some versions have braked towed limits as low as 750kg, whilst others are up to 1500kg.

Guesses based on insufficient information are dangerous as they could at best lead someone into an illegal outfit or worst have some form of catastrophic failure.

Please supply the information I outlined in my earlier reply.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can't vouch for the accuracy of this web site but it lists 1200kg as being the limit.

The website that I looked at quoted for the 2019 as per my earlier post. Only difference was that the bhp allowed to tow a higher weight.
I'd disagree with Buckman; if it's 96% kerbweight it'll be fine BUT what's the tow rating of the Nissan, officially rated by Nissan-that is your legal limiting factor. You won't I assume tow with an empty Quashqai; load the car not the caravan and your safety margin is improved again. I'd say simple answer to your question, perfectly practical. And as for power we towed 1480kg with a 109bhp petrol -needed to stir the gears but it was an excellent tow!
The 2019 Qashqai with the 1300cc engine and 140bhp has a maximum tow limit of 1300kg. The Qashqai 160bhp has same kerbweight, but can tow up to 1500kg. The OP has not mentioned the bhp of the car.
Towing at over 96% even fully loaded may not be safe if they are new to towing. Are you disagreeing with this aspect or something else?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The engine should manage the caravan but it will be a steady tow if you are prepared to accept that. If you are a newcomer to towing then the 140 looks a bit risky but the 160 should be OK for me. They generally get a good report as a tow car as long as you are prepared to accept the power limits performance.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As Nissan is heavily involved with Renault, be wary of Renault's policy of quoting towing limits based on driver only so that any passengers/load in the car has to be deducted from the towing limit to get the max trailer weight.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As Nissan is heavily involved with Renault, be wary of Renault's policy of quoting towing limits based on driver only so that any passengers/load in the car has to be deducted from the towing limit to get the max trailer weight.
Do Renault still apply that policy. Citroen did at one time but dropped it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Vuaxhall also had that policy, but may have dropped it since.
Vauxhall worded things like that but for all their cars I had, the GTW minus the MAW equalled the towing limit. - the last Vauxhall we bought was a 2006 Vectra so things may have changed since.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What many of us forget is that when the towbar is added to the car, the kerbweight is increased substantially. I would think that the average towbar weighs about 35kg. Taking this into consideration to tow a caravan with MTPLM of 1250kg they would be towing at about 95% of the kerbweight. Adding passengers and being careful it is probably doable and reasonably safe.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What many of us forget is that when the towbar is added to the car, the kerbweight is increased substantially. I would think that the average towbar weighs about 35kg. Taking this into consideration to tow a caravan with MTPLM of 1250kg they would be towing at about 95% of the kerbweight. Adding passengers and being careful it is probably doable and reasonably safe.
It's convention when calculating the Towing Ratio not to include the weight of towbar, passengers or load - of course the actual ratio takes them into account but is a variable number and might generate a different guideline % if adopted.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm no expert on this but.....

The towing weight ratio is only a guideline. Other factors such as legal limits are more important as is the manufacturers recommended towing capacity.

Taking the example of adding more weight to the car in order to raise the towing weight ratio - and Buckmans example of the weight increase due to the tow bar - then does adding the Nose Weight imposed by the caravan/trailer also increase the perceived car weight - after all its the car that's taking this load just like putting a few bags of cement in the boot.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm no expert on this but.....

The towing weight ratio is only a guideline. Other factors such as legal limits are more important as is the manufacturers recommended towing capacity.

Taking the example of adding more weight to the car in order to raise the towing weight ratio - and Buckmans example of the weight increase due to the tow bar - then does adding the Nose Weight imposed by the caravan/trailer also increase the perceived car weight - after all its the car that's taking this load just like putting a few bags of cement in the boot.
Whichever way you look at it, you need a towbar to tow. You do not need cement bags to tow. LOL!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that adding in the tow bar is valid, although if 35 kg is correct, it will not make a real difference in most cases. The towing ratio advice was produced with the likely hood of passengers and additional luggage being there so I am not convinced that you can use this and it is unlikely to be constant, so makes life more complicated.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that adding in the tow bar is valid, although if 35 kg is correct, it will not make a real difference in most cases. The towing ratio advice was produced with the likely hood of passengers and additional luggage being there so I am not convinced that you can use this and it is unlikely to be constant, so makes life more complicated.
The towing ratio is an arbitrary figure based on using toy models and data on vehicles designed in the 80's.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The towing ratio is an arbitrary figure based on using toy models and data on vehicles designed in the 80's.
Despite seeing numerous threads on the 85% towing ratio, one thing that no one seems to have identified is exactly who developed it, and when. So I’m really surprised at your comment re Google. Could you provide the link please?

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts