Nissan x trail + twin axle caravan

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi Tommo,
I do not tow a twin axle with a Xtrail, but would advise that if you are considering doing so to check and recheck the weights of caravan and car. Most people presume that because a vehicle has a ( manufacturers ) tow limit they can using the rule of thumb method of 80% tow a caravan that may actually be a lot heavier than the tow vehicle.
Twin axle caravans are said to be " more stable " than single axle 'vans but of those that I've seen on their side are short wheel base smaller SUV type vehicles pulling a big twin axle 'van.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
outdoors said:
Hi Most people presume that because a vehicle has a ( manufacturers ) tow limit they can using the rule of thumb method of 80% tow a caravan that may actually be a lot heavier than the tow vehicle.

??? Please explain.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't as you can obviously see by my picture , but we were on a site at Bamburgh last year and a bloke pulled on with an X Trail , 56 plate possibly whatever year that may be pulling a twin axle caravan , him his wife and two kids so it must be doable but unsure exactly of the weights ? Just make sure your licence covers you for doing it though weight wise . Good luck .

Craig .

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Most cars will have a maximum permissible towing limit greater than the weight of the vehicle, some wrongly believe that using this and deducting "20% would give the " rule of thumb " limit to safely tow.
Where in actual fact we all know that it is 80% of the tow vehicles weight we are being advised not to exceed.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The 2009 xtrail i had was 1725kg kerbweight, sufficient to tow a twin axle provided the MTPLM weight was less than the xtrail.
And no other limits were exceeded, i did have the 171 bhp version though.

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I used to tow a Bailey Pagent Moselle single axle with a 2003 Xtrail 2.2 turbo but it struggled with it especially up hill, now towing a Bailey Ranger 450/2 with a 2008 Ford Kuga Titanium, also tow a fully loaded two horse trailer and you wouldn't know you had anything on the back.....

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Erflady said:
I used to tow a Bailey Pagent Moselle single axle with a 2003 Xtrail 2.2 turbo but it struggled with it especially up hill, now towing a Bailey Ranger 450/2 with a 2008 Ford Kuga Titanium, also tow a fully loaded two horse trailer and you wouldn't know you had anything on the back.....

I agree ! Our kuga doesn't even flinch when you hitch it on and pulls no bother .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just to explain the weight point. The Caravan Towing Guide provided by both the two large clubs and The National Caravan Council recommends that the MTPLM (Maximum weight) of the caravan is no more than 85% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle for beginners and under no circumstances should the MTPLM exceed the kerb weight. Basically the towing limit is nothing to do with safety but is based on the ability of the towing vehicle to restart the weight on a 12% hill is is more a measure of the strength of the drivetrain.
There is also a world of difference between towing a broken car round town with the lower speeds and modest wind resistance of the towed vehicle even on a trailer than the large flat sides exposed to side winds on a caravan. There is nothing illegal about towing more than your kerb weight, provided you are within the manufacturers limits, but with a caravan it can be dangerous and may invalidate your insurance.
A twin axle caravan is generally more stable than a single axle model but you need to show some restraint and for a beginner I would certainly not exceed 90% even with a twin axle.
A second point though is the power of the car. Without knowing what caravan you are looking at it is difficult to be sure but 150 bhp is modest for most tow cars and the engine will probably struggle with anything as heavy as a twin axle. It should manage the lightest twin axles but that may be all and something lighter to tow might be a better bet.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
The Caravan i'm looking at is a 2011 Lunar Lexon 640 MTPLM 1694kg

I am new to caravanning but I do have towing experience with Articulated Fridge trailers and Milk tankers, so I can appreciate the need to drive to the changeable conditions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Just to explain the weight point. The Caravan Towing Guide provided by both the two large clubs and The National Caravan Council recommends that the MTPLM (Maximum weight) of the caravan is no more than 85% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle for beginners and under no circumstances should the MTPLM exceed the kerb weight. Basically the towing limit is nothing to do with safety but is based on the ability of the towing vehicle to restart the weight on a 12% hill is is more a measure of the strength of the drivetrain.
There is also a world of difference between towing a broken car round town with the lower speeds and modest wind resistance of the towed vehicle even on a trailer than the large flat sides exposed to side winds on a caravan. There is nothing illegal about towing more than your kerb weight, provided you are within the manufacturers limits, but with a caravan it can be dangerous and may invalidate your insurance.
A twin axle caravan is generally more stable than a single axle model but you need to show some restraint and for a beginner I would certainly not exceed 90% even with a twin axle.
A second point though is the power of the car. Without knowing what caravan you are looking at it is difficult to be sure but 150 bhp is modest for most tow cars and the engine will probably struggle with anything as heavy as a twin axle. It should manage the lightest twin axles but that may be all and something lighter to tow might be a better bet.

I must strongly disagree with your comment that 150 bhp is inadequate. My Pajero, Discovery 2 and Sorento all had less than 150 bhp and it cannot be disputed that all three have strong reputations as excellent tow cars. And were more than able to manage a weighty twin axle. There seems to be an interminable trend that bigger is better when in many cases it’s not. To say 150 bhp is not sufficient is clearly not true and may lead to some deciding not to take up caravanning. Which would be a real shame.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on how much torque your tow car produces. A (theoretical ) steam engine 20 horse power 300 ft pound of torque, an other one 80 hp. 150 ft lbs of tq.

20 dray horses against 20 Shetland ponies. :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
It all depends on how much torque your tow car produces. A (theoretical ) steam engine 20 horse power 300 ft pound of torque, an other one 80 hp. 150 ft lbs of tq.

20 dray horses against 20 Shetland ponies. :p

Yes but the OP quoted his proposed vehicle which is a diesel so as per the protracted discussion re the VW 1.4 TSI I could only assume that the XTrail being a diesel would have had a degree of tacit acceptance.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't tow that weight with the 148bhp Xtrail, it's under powered, the 171bhp Xtrail manual awd would manage it, but it only has around 266 pound feet of torque.

I towed 1565kg with mine.

TommoEll1980 said:
The Caravan i'm looking at is a 2011 Lunar Lexon 640 MTPLM 1694kg

I am new to caravanning but I do have towing experience with Articulated Fridge trailers and Milk tankers, so I can appreciate the need to drive to the changeable conditions.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Early Xtrail didn't have a lot of power or torque. Power was around 112 BHP with torque under 200 pound feet.

It was only the later models from 2004 that came with the 136hp engine with around 231 pound feet of torque.
The T30 also had perfect gearing for towing, with sixth gear giving around max torque at 60mph.

Erflady said:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I towed our Coachman 545 with a 3 litre V6 Vectra lots of power and torque, but not heavy enough (for me ) to tow the caravan . It towed lovely and all legal but wanted to have a heavier tow car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
outdoors said:
Hi Tommo,
I do not tow a twin axle with a Xtrail, but would advise that if you are considering doing so to check and recheck the weights of caravan and car. Most people presume that because a vehicle has a ( manufacturers ) tow limit they can using the rule of thumb method of 80% tow a caravan that may actually be a lot heavier than the tow vehicle.
Twin axle caravans are said to be " more stable " than single axle 'vans but of those that I've seen on their side are short wheel base smaller SUV type vehicles pulling a big twin axle 'van.

Hello Outdoors,

I think you should read this guide from The NCC:

http://www.thencc.org.uk/downloads/caravan_towing_guide_amended.pdf
At the bottom of page 8 you will find the industry guidance on weight ratio's

Please note it is a recommendation, and has never ever been a rule of any sort.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Please explain where the advice I've given is wrong.
1/. Weight of tow vehicle - 20 % = what is normally acceptable as weight of caravan. BTW: I work on 80%.
Far too many people purchase a small SUV 4x4 type vehicle ( which may have a good pulling power ) and presume it is safe to attach a caravan which is in fact heavier than the car.
Happy caravanning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
outdoors said:
Please explain where the advice I've given is wrong.
1/. Weight of tow vehicle - 20 % = what is normally acceptable as weight of caravan. BTW: I work on 80%.
Far too many people purchase a small SUV 4x4 type vehicle ( which may have a good pulling power ) and presume it is safe to attach a caravan which is in fact heavier than the car.
Happy caravanning.

Yours is an interesting rule of thumb, but in all of my years with a caravan it is the first time i have ever heard of it. The general guidance from the Clubs and NCC etc has always been the 85% guide.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Raywood said:

I must strongly disagree with your comment that 150 bhp is inadequate. My Pajero, Discovery 2 and Sorento all had less than 150 bhp and it cannot be disputed that all three have strong reputations as excellent tow cars. And were more than able to manage a weighty twin axle. There seems to be an interminable trend that bigger is better when in many cases it’s not. To say 150 bhp is not sufficient is clearly not true and may lead to some deciding not to take up caravanning. Which would be a real shame.

My kugas on about 150 bhp , caravan probably stands us at about 1600 now with the mover on and thats empty . Weve just done two weeks in Holland fully loaded for a family of four and it was no problem at all.

Craig .

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
The Caravan Towing Guide provided by both the two large clubs and The National Caravan Council recommends that the MTPLM (Maximum weight) of the caravan is no more than 85% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle for beginners and under no circumstances should the MTPLM exceed the kerb weight.

There is nothing illegal about towing more than your kerb weight, provided you are within the manufacturers limits, but with a caravan it can be dangerous and may invalidate your insurance.

Not sure about the emboldened part. If you're legal I don't see what grounds they would have.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
" BTW: I work on 80%."
Let's not be too pedantic, I was suggesting that many take the manufacturers towing limit sooner than the weight of the vehicle.
My friend ( a caravan dealer ) owns a 375 bhp Aston Martin, it would unfortunately not make a good match for my 2000 kg Hymer though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts