No 12v main switch Adria Adora

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. When my Adria Adora 612UP caravan was serviced recently, the engineer pointed out that the 12v system is permanently live when the battery is connected. There is a small panel with a meter and two rocker switches marked "VOLTS" and "PUMP" near the sink, but even if the "VOLTS" switch is set to off and the meter needle returns to zero, I can still turn on the ceiling lights and other 12v stuff. I've looked everywhere but can't find a 12v isolator switch like I've had before on other models of caravan. My concern is that if the 12v circuits remain live when the caravan is not in use between trips in the summer (I remove the battery altogether over winter) the battery will drain slowly. I would prefer to have a switch to turn everything 12v off when the van is parked up on my driveway between trips. Should I be concerned?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Should I be concerned?

Yes you should! Its very bad practice not to have some form of isolation system on large batteries. THe item Hutch has identified should be relatively simple to fit, or you can get 12 Isolator switch. You can find several on sites like Amazon or on E bay.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes you should! Its very bad practice not to have some form of isolation system on large batteries. THe item Hutch has identified should be relatively simple to fit, or you can get 12 Isolator switch. You can find several on sites like Amazon or on E bay.
You can get an isolator switch, as The Prof states, as the type used for the Motor movers. But that needs a bit more fitment

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
Thanks The Prof and Hutch for your replies. I have two questions. If such a switch is as important as you say, why isn't there one installed by the manufacturer? Secondly, I'm assuming that if I fit such a switch, the battery won't charge again until the switch is in the ON" position? Could it damage the electrics to connect a hook up to charge the battery while the cut-out switch is in the "OFF" position (if I forget to reset it first, that is)?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As an electronics and electrical engineer I like to try to ensure electrical power from any source can be isolated, but it isn't always a requirement to use a switch, some times it's achieved with a fuse. So I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression on that point. Consequently caravan manufacturer's might save a bit of cash by ommiting a switch.

As for damaging any of the 12V appliances or lights etc, the answer is I can't tell you unless I know what type of charger is fitted. In the absence of detailed knowledge about the charger it best to leave the battery connected when using an EHU.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As an electronics and electrical engineer I like to try to ensure electrical power from any source can be isolated, but it isn't always a requirement to use a switch, some times it's achieved with a fuse. So I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression on that point. Consequently caravan manufacturer's might save a bit of cash by ommiting a switch.

As for damaging any of the 12V appliances or lights etc, the answer is I can't tell you unless I know what type of charger is fitted. In the absence of detailed knowledge about the charger it best to leave the battery connected when using an EHU.
On our older caravans all the 240v sockets had switches, but it seems this was dropped on later models so no switch on them any more to switch off the appliance. Unless you unplug the appliance, many will go onto standby.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
My previous van built by Adria (Fleetwood model) had the same set up.
Same two rocker switches, volts and pump, no isolater switch.
Had the van over 10 years, no problems.
Just used to plug into mains 3/4 days before the off to top up if it was needed.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The switch labeled "MASTER" operates a relay mounted on the distribution panel. When the switch is in the OFF position all 12 volts to the van should be disconnected.
May be the relay is stuck in or its contacts have welded themselves together.

If you operate the switch you should hear the relay moving. You will need to have a quiet environment to hear it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The switch labeled "MASTER" operates a relay mounted on the distribution panel. When the switch is in the OFF position all 12 volts to the van should be disconnected.
May be the relay is stuck in or its contacts have welded themselves together.

If you operate the switch you should hear the relay moving. You will need to have a quiet environment to hear it.
The OP's caravan may not have this facility.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Moving away from Waysidekens, start, my 2013 Coachman, when you switch off the Mains isolater, the power to the fridge, the tv amplifier, caravan alarm, radio and the 12 volts to the Water/heater is still connected. That why I fitted my Isolator as shown earlier.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Is it like this one? This suggests that the Volts switch is the isolator. If yours isn’t isolating then something may be amiss or modified.
93A798B3-D877-4461-863D-F6A41784E140.jpeg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts