No escape.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am currently sat at Trethem Mill near St Mawes and we all here have an interesting dilema. I with 4 or 5 others have to leave on Thursday.

For those that have been here the entrance as you know is tricky for weaker drivers but is easy enough with care. Enough to state its known colloquially as the passage of doom and many have come to grief on it.

However, Cornwall Highways have closed it for repairs to a drain meaning we have to exit the site the opposite way on the lane. Its narrow to say least, with some vicious bends along its length. Not only narrow but enough sharp branches and brambles protruding that you cannot even get the car down without rubbing the sides. Overhanging branches way lower than a caravan roof add to the issues. Can i get up the lane.....yes. can I do it without damage occuring.....debatable.

Question is, if i get any damage what can i realistically do about it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am currently sat at Trethem Mill near St Mawes and we all here have an interesting dilema. I with 4 or 5 others have to leave on Thursday.

For those that have been here the entrance as you know is tricky for weaker drivers but is easy enough with care. Enough to state its known colloquially as the passage of doom and many have come to grief on it.

However, Cornwall Highways have closed it for repairs to a drain meaning we have to exit the site the opposite way on the lane. Its narrow to say least, with some vicious bends along its length. Not only narrow but enough sharp branches and brambles protruding that you cannot even get the car down without rubbing the sides. Overhanging branches way lower than a caravan roof add to the issues. Can i get up the lane.....yes. can I do it without damage occuring.....debatable.

Question is, if i get any damage what can i realistically do about it.
Be nice if the site worked with the land owners/council adjoining the exit route to cut back the overhanging foliage. Birds have finished nesting.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why can’t the contractors put a temporary steel plate across the hole allowing entry / exit? If you knowingly drive your outfit on a road where you know damage is inevitable it is possible your Insurers may decline your claim on the basis it was a deliberate act on your behalf??

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A road plate was the first thing i thought of Dusty, but there is nobody there, just the hole. I have sent a message to Cornwall Highways but no response as yet.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A road plate was the first thing i thought of Dusty, but there is nobody there, just the hole. I have sent a message to Cornwall Highways but no response as yet.
I am really surprised that the site management aren’t doing anything about the access problem especially at what must be a busy time for comings and goings.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ask them to pay for a few more nights or give them the option to pay for any damage.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you know full well that using the lane out as you describe will cause damage to your van and/or car, then your Insurance would be well within their rights to refuse any claim.

Personally I would stay the extra days needed with any business at home put off for a week, or leave the van at the site and return for it later, hopefully the site would accommodate such a request.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just looked on Google street view. Even the proper way in is dodgy even if you only meet a car. The passing places aren’t that big. Yet the site gets well used for storage! Best of luck. It would be good perhaps, if a few were leaving together, someone (perhaps from the site), could go on ahead to hold up the traffic and then leave as a convoy. But that doesn’t help with the width problem.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Spoke to Cornwall Highways. Best I got was a callback within 10 days. No use to me. Site owner convinced it will be finished today. Not sure how as there is nobody there, just cones and signs and a great big hole. Asked about roadplates. Was told there must be a reason why they arent used. That was as much as i could get from the Mk 2 robot on the other end of the phone.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Presumably anyone who's booked there won't be getting in, so I can't see why the site would have a problem with you leaving the caravan there when you have to go home. and coming back when it's possible to get the caravan out. I get that the situation isn't the site's fault but it makes sense to work with customers who are being inconvenienced to come up with a resolution that helps everyone.

I've just had a look at the alternative exit on Google Streetview, and if the foliage is still as shown there, I agree that I would be hugely reluctant to tow along there. Interestingly, where that lane exits onto the B3289 there's a tourist information sign to a caravan site, so presumably it has been considered passable while towing by somebody, at some time in the past.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the only answer if the road is still closed is if the site will store the caravan for you until you can pick it up. If you have to travel then your insurer should not be able to turn the claim down on the basis the damage is inevitable though.
If the council know that by closing the normal route and diverting traffic down an unsuitable one then they should have cleared the overhanging branches and may be vulnerable to a claim for any caused. I take the point about nesting birds but surely they would not be in or near branches overhanging the road as they want peace and quiet to bring up their young.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just a wild card.
How about the site staff moving the caravans to a safe area and if damage occurs they pay! Strange there is nothing on Trethem’s web site. They are a well respected up market firm.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just a wild card.
How about the site staff moving the caravans to a safe area and if damage occurs they pay! Strange there is nothing on Trethem’s web site. They are a well respected up market firm.
Why would the site accept liability for damage when the problem of the road isn’t of their making. But I would have thought they would be more proactive in getting on to the county highways and working with neighbours to try and clear the alternative exit route and managing departures. .

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Just a wild card.
The trouble is, as described by Thingy this isn't the site's fault, although it's odd that they're not warning people about the situation. Perhaps - assuming they were notified in advance about the road works - they just didn't accept any booking for arrival or departure on days the road was expected to be closed - although that wouldn't help motorhome owners, who presumably have been stuck on site?

As it's been described this seems to be firmly on Cornwall Highways, not communicating with an established business along the lane.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It might have been an emergency repair required but there’s a major shortfall in communication and/ or means of helping the business and any residents deal with it. Do they not work through the night in the deepest south west? A bit of noise wouldn’t be too high a price to pay for a speeded up job.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
In the circumstances I would expect the site to be contacting Highways Dept for confirmation on completion, after all their business will be affected if customers can neither get in or out? Either the repair is done pronto or I would expect Highways to ensure the other route is accessible and passable to caravans sending out a with a hedge cutting vehicle - although that may be additionally complicated by landowners possibly being responsible for hedges? Good luck!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the landowners hedges are interfering with the highway they can be asked to chop them back. Most farmers have hedge flails. In circumstances the recommendation re nesting birds can be lifted.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I don't think it's only the hedges, looking at the alternative route on Street View there's at least one bend that would be incredibly challenging with a long outfit. Not to mention the narrow width of the road and the lack of any "escape" if you met something coming the other way.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Update.
Strong conversation with Cornwall Highways led to call back from the contractors area manager who totally agrees with me. He is sending a minion to ensure it is finished today. Fingers crossed. Site were informed last Friday but these works have been planned for 10 months apparently.

The sign at the KHF end of the lane was removed some time ago as the lane is considered too overgrown for access.

The site put notifications up the minute they heard. There is no criticism of them or there actions here.

As usual, its a council that have caused mayhem.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts