PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm. Things to throw into the equation:

. Keep my 39,000 mile Touareg?
. Buy new now?
. Will I still be alive?
. Residual values of diesel?
. Electric car development such that a suitable tow car may emerge?
. Buy a lightweight caravan?
. Stuff it. Live for the present?

I think I know my preferred option.
Yours?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well my present car Tiguan only on 9500
i be keeping it a bit longer
When we upgrade the caravan we are thinking of buying a lightweight
Electric car i have think about it , whether i can afford one
At the moment it 10 years away i going to live it you only have one life.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We knew this was coming, But I do agree caravanners are likely to lose in this initiative.

If we look at what vehicles are available to-day then there are very few electric vehicles with a practical towing capacity and range. Coupled to the paucity of chargers at caravan sites and other destinations, the prospect of touring with a caravan seems impractical.

When 2030 arrives, and the ban on selling NEW ICE cars, there will still be quite a number of older ICE cars still available, but of course during the interim, new technologies will be improving EV;s capabilities car, and the charging network will be expanding.

I believe there will be some electric vehicles that will have reasonable towing capacity, but their towing range is going to be a challenge.

However I think it is more the Gov't initiative is not caravan friendly, and the hobby is likely to need to change quite dramatically moving forward into and ICE free world.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I know the legislation will pass now but will it be implemented. The people I know of who have an insight into this are quite clear that the idea is unworkable because we will not be able to get the required charging points into operation in time. This is a decision by the current government but we cannot know now what the situation will be or who the government will be by 2030 so anything can happen. A delay in implementation because of the realities of the situation at that time is always possible.

Reactions: Scorpy
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
In fact the death knell for fossil fuel models presumably comes before the end date - who would flash out good money on a new towcar in the later interim years that presumably will plummet in value once the 2030 clock turns? I wonder also what will happen to the price and availability of fuel as the time nears?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think I read that the ban would be on new cars that were exclusivley petrol or diesel and not hybrids.

I also think that there could be a surge in people wanting to buy new fossil fuel cars prior to the end of life date because an electric vehicle still wont be a practical option after that. Equally possible that the used value will increase for the same reason.

Electric vehicles are a great idea in principle but it needs the infrastructure in place to make this changeover possible for everyone. Equally there should be policies being considered that just get people off the roads and onto more sustainable public transport where possible.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
TBH as only a handful of people can afford to buy an EV at present, sales of fossil fuel vehicles will probably increase dramatically prior to the ban. When EVs are introduced the government has to recoup the lost billions somehow and I think all roads will become "toll roads" as per this article with Big Brother registering every move and you being hit with a large bill at the end of the month depending on how far you have travelled.
It may then be cheaper to take a holiday on the continent and many UK campsites may lose a lot of income due to the swing away from touring Britain whether with caravan or not. The leisure industry will be the hardest hit and many hotels may be forced to close as public transport can be very expensive in comparison to using a vehicle when there is more than one person in the vehicle.
Then of course there is the question whether the present energy infrastructure is capable of handling the additional energy required for EVs and at what cost. Will the VAT remain the same for electric charging as for the domestic home?
Lastly if you normally keep a vehicle for several years and could afford to buy a second hand EV would you buy one knowing that during its lifetime with you there is a possibility that you may need to replace the battery pack? Would you be able to sell it on if you have not replaced the battery pack as the buyer will be aware that it may need replacing?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The availability of pure petrol or diesel cars is already reducing in order for makers to meet the legislation for a fleet average emissions. If they exceed that fleet average there is a fine for each car sold. Then there are the anti diesel brigade who plan to ban all diesels from urban areas. This will exacerbate the trend to petrol hybrids or EV. But real choice of cars will be determined by what the overseas manufacturers plan to produce. The U.K. is likely to become a smaller player in the car making scene than we are currently. And even JLR are likely to be driven more by the global demands than U.K. specific ones.
We’ve already made the swop to petrol in the last 12 months albeit not for any environmental reasons but aware of likely diesel bans in our area. One car was 13 years old and required a change anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The availability of pure petrol or diesel cars is already reducing in order for makers to meet the legislation for a fleet average emissions. If they exceed that fleet average there is a fine for each car sold. Then there are the anti diesel brigade who plan to ban all diesels from urban areas. This will exacerbate the trend to petrol hybrids or EV. But real choice of cars will be determined by what the overseas manufacturers plan to produce. The U.K. is likely to become a smaller player in the car making scene than we are currently. And even JLR are likely to be driven more by the global demands than U.K. specific ones.
We’ve already made the swop to petrol in the last 12 months albeit not for any environmental reasons but aware of likely diesel bans in our area. One car was 13 years old and required a change anyway.
My understanding is that the ban applies to all fossil fuel vehicles? TBH I think the UK government is being a bit over ambitious setting a goal so early. At least 2040 is a more achievable goal as by then the infrastructure should be in place?

As a matter of interest are there any new power stations in the pipeline. It must be remembered that nuclear power stations have a limited life of about 40 years or less? Which is less polluting nuclear or fossil fuel?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Not panicking here; we have alovely new Navara-we'll see what occurs within th e next 5 years and may buy another around then; with a view to it keeping us going after the ban for as long as it runs-although new cars won't be available personally I think this will increase the resale values on petrol and diesel cars as they'll be in demand! The possibilities are endless but there will still be a huge number on the roads for years to come. And then alternatives will be a match or better. Tesla X for 30k with a 200 mile towing range suits me fine!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Tesla X for 30k with a 200 mile towing range suits me fine!
Not if you are towing on the continent as quite often we exceed that mileage when leaving the ferry to get to our destination. A towing range of at least 300 mile would be more suitable. However then you have a hassle of recharging if the campsite does not have a connection or if they do queuing up to wait your turn.

Reactions: PTA
Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I suspect as stated above that it won't be implemented by 2030 due to lack of infrastructure and lack of electricity production. If / when it does the caravan trade must surely disappear rapidly. But, presumably campervans will be OK as there is no mention that I have seen of banning ICE vans and commercial vehicles.
Secondhand sales of ICE cars should hold their prices very well indeed.
No mention yet of where the government will replace it's fuel tax.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Based on how long I tend to keep cars, I can buy a new diesel three years before the ban comes in, and it'll see out my time as a driver - and certainly my time as a caravanner. I appreciate that younger caravanners won't be as lucky as me.

More concerning (to my age group) is how long will fossil fuels be available for our pre-2030 cars? Round my way there are plenty of petrol stations that have lost the pumps and are now convenience stores, car washes or blocks of flats. As the number of fossil fuel cars goes down so there will be fewer petrol stations.

Anyone remember how long leaded petrol stayed easily available, once all petrol cars (except classics, collectors cars etc) started to run on unleaded?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think maybe I should enhance the Motor Mover on my van and just use that :)

My daugher lives in NZ and has an electric car as a local run around. They've discovered an App that not only lists commercial charging points but also private residences that the owners will allow people to charge their cars from - for a fee.

Remember when diesel was cheaper than petrol and then diesel cars became more popular and the price went up.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that the ban applies to all fossil fuel vehicles? TBH I think the UK government is being a bit over ambitious setting a goal so early. At least 2040 is a more achievable goal as by then the infrastructure should be in place?

As a matter of interest are there any new power stations in the pipeline. It must be remembered that nuclear power stations have a limited life of about 40 years or less? Which is less polluting nuclear or fossil fuel?
According to the BBC news site the ban is in cars solely powered by fossil fuels and this was confirmed during PMQs so there should still be vehicles able to tow without requiring a charging point. Able to tow what and how far remains to be seen. But the need for tow vehicles won’t go away as many others need tow vehicles for a number of roles.

A neighbours 2013 Ampera may shoot up in value! A very much under rated car. Ahead of its time.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i hoping to keep my car a bit longer we only got the caravan last year . I do like the Mitsubishi Outlander phev probably get one in the future

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Not if you are towing on the continent as quite often we exceed that mileage when leaving the ferry to get to our destination. A towing range of at least 300 mile would be more suitable. However then you have a hassle of recharging if the campsite does not have a connection or if they do queuing up to wait your turn.
Ok 300-since the tesla can already do that without towing in 9 years time it'll do that and of course there will be better and of course caravan sites will all have charging points installed! Solar powered and battery back up too no doubt!!!! THere is 9 years and the infrastructure is growing all the time-just look out for road charging -as taxes from fossil fuels will need to be replaced.

Our alternative is to bang as many miles on the petrol and electric cars we have and keep the Navara longer. Our charger is being installed Monday and our Electric Mini arrives early December-we've called it Covid !!!! Well it does look a bit virussy-yellow wing mirrors!

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I looked to update a couple of weeks ago. But when I looked at all the affordable possibilities. I realised that I would be having a £10,000 ish extra outlay for cars which did not rock my boat at all. Then I thought that my current car, is, very comfy, every bit fast enough (for what I want), big enough, plenty of toys, a great tow car and fairly economic.

Not perfect though, there are a couple of small things which could be improved upon.

So I will stick with the devil I know.

John

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts