No spare tyre

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Seems a bit pointless asking a question these days. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Is your 18 inch the issued spare for your vehicle? In the early 70’s we had a puncture in a small Ford van. No spare, someone brought one out to us which fitted but was the wrong diameter. 16” instead of 14” if I remember correctly. We managed to drive home but the van was very distinctly raised in one corner and did not feel safe.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is your 18 inch the issued spare for your vehicle? In the early 70’s we had a puncture in a small Ford van. No spare, someone brought one out to us which fitted but was the wrong diameter. 16” instead of 14” if I remember correctly. We managed to drive home but the van was very distinctly raised in one corner and did not feel safe.

John
It is the issued spare with the same type of tread. The standard Jeep has 18" tyres fitted, but Overland has 20" tyres.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Volvo XC70 had a space saver that was 2 inch less diameter than the OEM alloys. I questioned it with Volvo technical who advised it was suitable for towing but irrespective was best fitted to the rear.

My Superb had a full size spare but it was on a 16 inch steel wheel whereas the OEM alloys were 17 inch, but the spare had a larger aspect ratio so it’s rolling diameter was as per the 17 inch OEM alloys.

Both the Volvo and Superb had 4wd Haldex systems which are more tolerant of a mismatch and tend to have most power to the front wheels with a small amount to the rear unless more rear power is demanded.

My Subaru is sensitive to tyre diameter and is permanent 4wd. According to the OM tyres should be the same tread pattern and within 1 mm tread depth. Unlike my previous Subaru that I modified to take a full size OEM as a spare I’ve left this one with a space saver. However if one of the tyres gets a non repairable puncture I would be faced with replacing all four, or sourcing a part worn tyre of the same type as those already on the car. It was a part worn that I fitted to the last Subaru as it’s full sized spare as no point in a new full tread depth tyre which would mismatch the tread depth of the cars other tyres.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that the use of the spacesaver spare conditions are spelt out in most handbooks.
They say that it is OK to use to the nearest tyre fitting company when the original tyre is either repaired or replaced as necessary.. at a reduced speed.

As these spares are for "Emergency Only" that does not mean travelling to your site, or destination, and then go looking for somewhere to fix the problem.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
So presumably Jeep think it is OK for emergency use!

John
My VW Touareg can have 17/18/19/20/21/22 wheels as standard but the tyre profile is varied and the rolling radius of all of them are almost the same, certainly close enough for emergency use.

Any spare tyre which is a different size to the road tyres can only be used as an emergency "get-you-home" - the differentials should cope with minor radius variations but not for long distances, eg under 50 miles is fine.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My OP asks whether the breakdown company if the consumer was towing would take both units to the tyre fitter if no spare tyre available.

I also asked what if the tyre fitter cannot supply the tyre until the next day? What would happen if the same person whose vehicle did not have a spare was towing a caravan and both were taken to the tyre fitter?

Can we please move away from discussing space savers and different size spare tyres as that is not the concern? Thanks. 👍:)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My VW Touareg can have 17/18/19/20/21/22 wheels as standard but the tyre profile is varied and the rolling radius of all of them are almost the same, certainly close enough for emergency use.

Any spare tyre which is a different size to the road tyres can only be used as an emergency "get-you-home" - the differentials should cope with minor radius variations but not for long distances, eg under 50 miles is fine.

Agreed, but the point I was making was that 2 inches seems excessive. It certainly was for me in #2.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My OP asks whether the breakdown company if the consumer was towing would take both units to the tyre fitter if no spare tyre available.

I also asked what if the tyre fitter cannot supply the tyre until the next day? What would happen if the same person whose vehicle did not have a spare was towing a caravan and both were taken to the tyre fitter?

Can we please move away from discussing space savers and different size spare tyres as that is not the concern? Thanks. 👍:)
Would it not be better to ask your actual recovery company.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

To be fair Ian, you brought up the size differential.

If I was in those circumstances of having no car spare, or if the spare was flat or in use. I would most certainly expect my recovery to take my car and caravan to a safe and suitable place to have it fixed. The recovery company would normally discuss reasonable alternatives available to me. I would think that that would be the limit of their contractural commitment. And at that stage it would be down to me.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Each breakdown company may have different procedures and will vary according to the cover paid for - best if you ask your breakdown provider directly.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Agreed, but the point I was making was that 2 inches seems excessive. It certainly was for me in #2.

John
The difference in rim size has little bearing on the rolling radius - as I posted VW standard SUV wheels/tyres have virtually the same radius whether they're 17" rims or 22" rims, or anything in between.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The difference in rim size has little bearing on the rolling radius - as I posted VW standard SUV wheels/tyres have virtually the same radius whether they're 17" rims or 22" rims, or anything in between.
Likewise my Superb had 17 OEM alloys but the full size spare was in a 16 inch steel rim but a higher aspect ratio, so rolling diameter was retained as per OEM 17 inch alloys. and it had markings painted onto the rim advising speed limitations when fitted.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC May Day will ensure both Car and caravan are recovered and taken somewhere safe. Eg they promise to sort the car whilst still taking the caravan to your planned destination. I’ll have to check the small print but am sure this is correct. Can’t comment on any others .
Tyre wise my Touareg comes with a collapsible space saver. It is limited in max speed otherwise as Roger says. I cannot understand anyone wanting “no spare” , being reliant on the quick inflation gas gunge stuff. No good with a shredded tyre.
Interestingly Tesla’s suffer a considerably higher rate of tyre failures / punctures than any other model.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CAMC May Day will ensure both Car and caravan are recovered and taken somewhere safe. Eg they promise to sort the car whilst still taking the caravan to your planned destination. I’ll have to check the small print but am sure this is correct. Can’t comment on any others .
Tyre wise my Touareg comes with a collapsible space saver. It is limited in max speed otherwise as Roger says. I cannot understand anyone wanting “no spare” , being reliant on the quick inflation gas gunge stuff. No good with a shredded tyre.
Interestingly Tesla’s suffer a considerably higher rate of tyre failures / punctures than any other model.
When we purchased our runabout Rio, my first job was to transfer the gunge kit into the loft and fit a space saver tyre and jack into the boot well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I do realise that. And it could well be that the OP has low profile on the larger wheels. But that was not stated, and as 4x4’s are sensitive to tyre size it might be problematic. My Peugeot 4007 had 19“ ultra low profile fitted as a factory special. I later changed them for the standard 16 “ for improved towing. As you say, near enough the same circumference. But that is not the same as putting on a different sized spare.

My example was like for like on profile. Not sure there was generally a choice in the early 70’s.

John

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Info. Just checked on my Touareg.
Cannot be driven over 50 miles per hour. Shouldn't be driven for more than 70 miles.
Still better than nothing.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
My old MG TF 160 had 16" Wheels and a 14" spare wheel. Great other than the spare would not clear the AP racing 4 pot callipers, so any use of the spare on the front required swapping the spare on to one of the rears and the rear on to the front. Fun added to with them being directional tyres too

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Would it not be better to ask your actual recovery company.
Thanks Clive as you are correct and I would ask if I had an issue. However as said in my now deleted OP, I do not have an issue and was asking the questions that were asked on another forum.
I thought it may be of interest to some on this forum so cannot understand the arguments regarding profiles and spare tyres?
I clearly stated at the end of the post that it was questions raised on another forum.. It is of no consequence the profile of my tyres as I do not have an issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Clive as you are correct and I would ask if I had an issue. However as said in my now deleted OP, I do not have an issue and was asking the questions that were asked on another forum.
I thought it may be of interest to some on this forum so cannot understand the arguments regarding profiles and spare tyres?
I clearly stated at the end of the post that it was questions raised on another forum.. It is of no consequence the profile of my tyres as I do not have an issue.
I guess that especially with 4wd vehicles that have different systems some are more sensitive to tyre size and type than others. So there’s not really a one size fits all answer. As Dusty says the CMHC get you and your van to the destination, whether they do that in the event of a puncture I don’t know. I guess it depends on the vehicle and it’s sensitivity to tyre mismatch. My approach would be to ensure I know what the car maker recommends and ensure I stick that recommendation. If I then had no alternative but to have a non optimal tyre fitted it would be the cheapest available and used carefully until I could get a suitable one to replace it. Cheers

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Seems a bit pointless asking a question these days. Oh well back to the drawing board.

If you deleted the question you can hardly expect it to be answered.

How can you expect forum members to remember whatever it was that you wrote in a now deleted OP Buckman?
Here's a novel idea for you.
When you see a question on another caravan forum, post your prickly replies on that forums message boards.
Don't bring these things here to have a pop at members who are adding genuine replies but who don't remember every word you have written.
Don't disrupt or add antagonistic replies on this forum, or these imported from elsewhere questions will be disappearing as soon as they're submitted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you deleted the question you can hardly expect it to be answered.

How can you expect forum members to remember whatever it was that you wrote in a now deleted OP Buckman?
Here's a novel idea for you.
When you see a question on another caravan forum, post your prickly replies on that forums message boards.
Don't bring these things here to have a pop at members who are adding genuine replies but who don't remember every word you have written.
Don't disrupt or add antagonistic replies on this forum, or these imported from elsewhere questions will be disappearing as soon as they're submitted.

I asked questions regarding a breakdown and not about tyre profiles or spare tyres as none of the replies related to my original questions, my original posting asking questions seemed a bit pointless hence deleted. The replies were to the OP and were prior to the deletion.
Not sure what you mean by prickly replies as I don't consider any of my replies were prickly however as you are the moderator I will say no more.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I asked questions regarding a breakdown and not about tyre profiles or spare tyres as none of the replies related to my original questions, my original posting asking questions seemed a bit pointless hence deleted. The replies were to the OP and were prior to the deletion.
Not sure what you mean by prickly replies as I don't consider any of my replies were prickly however as you are the moderator I will say no more.
, a question on the forum nearly always diverts onto another item , ie spare tyre sizes, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts