Noisy mover. Good or bad?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We arrived on site and the hard standings are limited in space and we were told that the car has to go in front of the van. Something I am not keen on as if weather bound inside the van, I don’t want to look at the side of my car.

I wanted to use a grass pitch but got outvoted 1:1, so unfair. Tried the biggest hard standing available and my outfit would not fit, so grass it is. Drove the van there using the mover. Just made it as the mover gave up. Bought new batteries for the remote and it‘s now fixed…… Or is it. I tested it without engaging, all working. But is the noise OK? What do people think?

Edit, link 2

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think the problem is me trying to upload the video to iCloud with only mobile data. I have just tried again with Dropbox. Fingers crossed it works this time.

Link 2

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It works but it’s not necessary to sign into Dropbox or create an account. As for the noise it’s certainly not good, but never having heard an unloaded mover if that type I don’t know what normal is. A guess would say that somewhere there’s a broken gear element or not engaging with the rack.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020
Visit site
All I can tell you is that our mover just gives the electric motor whine and not the mechanical thumping when running. I would say bearing issues somewhere. Get it checked out with a service engineer if you don’t feel confident to remove and check yourself

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is most certainly something wrong with the mover.
Get in touch with Truma to arrange for an engineer to sort it out.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks all,

It’s the bearing I was concerned with. But when I yank on the roller I feel no movement. Did you notice, the noise, and shake, is only on start up. Not when it gets up to speed. Also, it sounds OK when engaged.

Is that significant?

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks all,

It’s the bearing I was concerned with. But when I yank on the roller I feel no movement. Did you notice, the noise, and shake, is only on start up. Not when it gets up to speed. Also, it sounds OK when engaged.

Is that significant?

John
I would think that when engaged it is turning a lot slower plus pressing up against the tyre may hide the noise.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all,

Is that significant?

John
You will not know what is significant or not until it is investigated properly. But it's certainly not working as it should and further use may exacerbate the problem and cause more problems and expense.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You will not know what is significant or not until it is investigated properly. But it's certainly not working as it should and further use may exacerbate the problem and cause more problems and expense.

I agree. The only impressive thing about this mover has been the price! My local dealer hates dealing with Truma. I have already made the trip to the Truma works and had the activator motors changed. Previous to that, the controller box had failed. Truma would not believe it until they tested it. They did renew it, but not a hint of an apology.

I think, in the circumstances, I will send the video to them for their opinion.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had three movers in our time and other than a little whine from the motors no noise. If it is making any other noise I would have it checked out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John. One side only?
Last year I changed the bearings and three gear wheels on the n/ s of my 12 year old Powrtouch. The whirring noise wasn’t as bad as yours but the background “knocking” was louder. One of the two bearings had collapsed. The inner bearing was seized on the shaft. It cost me £50 for our local engineers to remove the old bearing. How stupid I was with hind sight. For £20.00 more Powrtouch would have sent their own engineer to fix it. I found out later he would have fitted a complete new unit rather do all the work I did! Economics! I wonder if Truma are the same? Note Truma own Powrtouch. Get the Truma engineer on it.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Are you able to move the roller up and down or right to left? If you remove the endcap with a screw driver you will see a circlip holding the roller on the shaft. If you remove the circlip, the roller can be pulled off the shaft. Removing the circlip is tricky without circlip pliers but with the end cap removed you will be able to see if the shaft or roller can be moved by hand up and down or right to left. If the shaft is moving it's a bearing problem.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John. One side only?
Last year I changed the bearings and three gear wheels on the n/ s of my 12 year old Powrtouch. The whirring noise wasn’t as bad as yours but the background “knocking” was louder. One of the two bearings had collapsed. The inner bearing was seized on the shaft. It cost me £50 for our local engineers to remove the old bearing. How stupid I was with hind sight. For £20.00 more Powrtouch would have sent their own engineer to fix it. I found out later he would have fitted a complete new unit rather do all the work I did! Economics! I wonder if Truma are the same? Note Truma own Powrtouch. Get the Truma engineer on it.

The whirring sound is quite normal for this mover. It’s the initial shudder and knocking that bothers me.

I have sent the video to Truma. I await their response.

The mover is 6 years old, I think it’s got a 10 year warrentee.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Are you able to move the roller up and down or right to left? If you remove the endcap with a screw driver you will see a circlip holding the roller on the shaft. If you remove the circlip, the roller can be pulled off the shaft. Removing the circlip is tricky without circlip pliers but with the end cap removed you will be able to see if the shaft or roller can be moved by hand up and down or right to left. If the shaft is moving it's a bearing problem.

Thanks for that info. Very useful. It feels as though there is no play when I yank on the roller.

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The whirring sound is quite normal for this mover. It’s the initial shudder and knocking that bothers me.

I have sent the video to Truma. I await their response.

The mover is 6 years old, I think it’s got a 10 year warrentee.

John

The warranty on Powrtouch movers is 5 years parts and labour.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Here is an update from Truma. First I should say that in a previous post I lambasted their service. Only because that was my experience. But, regarding my question on the mover shudder, their website accessibility and response have need excellent.

“Thank you for your enquiry and video. This is something we do see sometimes and is down to wear and tear. It shouldn’t cause an issue if it’s working OK under load, however f it does eventually start to become an issue then it will be a motor gearbox replacement. If this does happen, we would advise that you contact a local Caravan dealer who will be able to inspect the unit and replace if necessary.”

In the circumstances, I will continue to use it as they suggest. After all, although it’s now in its 6th year, it’s not had that much use. And, under load, it works fine.

I also wonder if the shudder is just a reaction to the sudden use of the torque, particularly as it settles down very quickly.

Thanks for others responses.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is an update from Truma. First I should say that in a previous post I lambasted their service. Only because that was my experience. But, regarding my question on the mover shudder, their website accessibility and response have need excellent.

“Thank you for your enquiry and video. This is something we do see sometimes and is down to wear and tear. It shouldn’t cause an issue if it’s working OK under load, however f it does eventually start to become an issue then it will be a motor gearbox replacement. If this does happen, we would advise that you contact a local Caravan dealer who will be able to inspect the unit and replace if necessary.”

In the circumstances, I will continue to use it as they suggest. After all, although it’s now in its 6th year, it’s not had that much use. And, under load, it works fine.

I also wonder if the shudder is just a reaction to the sudden use of the torque, particularly as it settles down very quickly.

Thanks for others responses.

John

When something starts to make strange noises it gets me a bit twitched. Especially with something that can cause problems at the most inconvenient time. I think that I would want to get it working correctly.

Re Powrtouch on the very rare occasions I’ve had to contact them wrt technical queries or spares I’ve always found them very helpful. As regards their movers I’ve never had a operational issue but the short life of the rubber gaiters isn’t at all good.

A previous Reich Move Control with manual wind on actuation never in 9 years required any contact with the company or spares and even dislodged a large French kerbstone with nary and movement or damage to the mover. More than could be said for the kerbstone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts