Noisy Onboard Pump - again!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
This is at least the third caravan I have had with the onboard water pump so I am familiar with it being noisier than the submersible pump but I have noticed that at times it does seem noisier than other times. My own guess is an airlock caused during initial priming or when refilling water container but wondering if others have came across this and any potential solutions.

On our recent trip away ( first extended trip in this van) we visited several different sites, couple with serviced pitches, couple not. First two sites were overnight stops and water pump was relatively quiet, we actually commented on how it seemed quieter than our last van. Next site, noticed right away the pump was much noisier with a machine gun rat-a-tat-tat noise. Fully drained system, reprimed and it was fine again,ran quietly. Next couple of sites were o.k., final site pump did seem a bit noisier again but not too bad and we were only there for a couple of nights so didn't bother about it. Back home and yesterday decided to give the water system a quick clean, filled up aqua roll with sterilising solution, drew it through system and pump very quiet but then when I refilled aqua roll with fresh water and started to flush this through the noise was back. Also noticed that it seemed noisiest when running cold tap in comparison to hot tap.

To prime the system I have pump switched off, connect hose/filter and place in full aquaroll, open cold tap in kitchen then switch pump on. Once water flows continuously, turn on hot tap, let it run then repeat with other taps. I have replaced the "O" rings in the external connection point and checked the pump itself is not vibrating against any other fixings. My guess is an airlock caused during priming and/or container refills.
Anyone else came across this, any solutions?
Thanks
Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob,

To be honest the positive displacement pumps like the one you have rarely suffer from air locks, as they have the suction to pull water from an almost empty container on the floor outside.

Its more likely the way its mounted in the caravan possibly on a more resonant surface than your previous models, or it could be the pressure switch setting causing it to attain a higher pressure than previous models, and this small but extra strain might be the cause.

Failing that it is possible that it is just a noisier example of that type of pump, and perhaps changing it for a different one might improve the situation.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Failing that it is possible that it is just a noisier example of that type of pump, and perhaps changing it for a different one might improve the situation.
If it was consistently noisy then I might tend to agree with you Prof, but at times it is quieter than previous on board pumps I have used. The more noisy spells do seem to coincide with either setting up on site or water container refills, that was why I suspected airlock. Thanks for your input.
Rob

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rob
Whilst I can't tell you why it does it, it may be a little comfort to you to know that my pump also varies in sound volume. Some days you can hardly hear it running but others days it can be pretty noisy. There doesn't seem to be any variation in the performance, just sound volume.
JohnM20

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
JohnM20 said:
Hi Rob
Whilst I can't tell you why it does it, it may be a little comfort to you to know that my pump also varies in sound volume. Some days you can hardly hear it running but others days it can be pretty noisy. There doesn't seem to be any variation in the performance, just sound volume.
JohnM20

Hi John, well at least it's not just me imagining things then ( well, not this time anyway
smiley-laughing.gif
)
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob
Tonights Caravan Channel, John Wickersham featured noisy pumps,he suggested slackening off the mounting screws so that the pump is not transmitting through the floor and amplifying the vibration,if that does not work replace the rubber mounting bushes but do not over tighten them.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
Hi Rob
Tonights Caravan Channel, John Wickersham featured noisy pumps,he suggested slackening off the mounting screws so that the pump is not transmitting through the floor and amplifying the vibration,if that does not work replace the rubber mounting bushes but do not over tighten them.

Thanks, never caught the programme. I have already done that though. System is very quiet at times then noisy at others which is leading me to believe it is air somewhere in the system, could be wrong though.

Thanks
Rob

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have this problem and have never found a solution. When on one site I asked a mobile engineer if he could help he said his customers have tried carpet and other things but nothing has cured it. My consolation is that unlike the submersible pump on the last caravan no one can steel this and leave you without water.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Just a brief update on the sometimes noisy,
sometimes quiet on board pump.

I emailed Whale customer support and outlined
the problem to them. Ended up with someone from Whale phoning me to discuss the
problem. A very helpful person he was too, agreed that it sounded like air
being drawn in and as a first step arranged to send out some replacement “o”
rings ( I said I had replaced them but as they were sold loose I couldn’t
confirm if they were genuine Whale items) and also some proper water based lubricant.
To try this and get back to them if it doesn’t solve the problem. Package
arrived the next day.

Don’t know if this will do the trick or not
but certainly got to commend Whale customer support. Well done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts