norfolk line. v . p.+o

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just been quoted £ 98 return ferry next june/july by norfolk line , used p+o for the past 2 years and found that its been ok to pull up at the docks both sides and get on the next available ferry . does anybody no if its the same with norfolk line, looked on the map and dunkerque looks no distance from calais . thanks for your help and info . jim

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Jim,

I regularly commute between rural Buckinghamshire and Rotterdam - via Dover / Calais or Eurotunnel - and:

Dunkerque is only 30 minutes along the coast from Calais, but if you are heading south or towards Brittany / Loire - that's 30 minutes in the wrong direction.

Plus the ferry will have cruised along the coast for an extra 45 minutes to reach Dunkerque.

All in all, expect to loose 80 minutes if heading south or just a few minutes if heading into Holland...

Weigh this against the OK experience on P&O - I like the (free for me) club lounge - but the P&O (and SeaFrance) ferries are usually full of foot passengers and coach parties - so they are rarely the quiet restful experience you'd hope for.

NorfolkLine have a fleet of new ferries and don't take foot passengers or coaches - so they are much more restful - but the frequency of operation is much lower. But as a cheap, pleasant crossing I doubt if they could be beaten.

Robert

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
Must say travelled for the first time with the Norfolk line, and i would totally recommend them, lovely ferries and plentifull seats as there are no coach parties or footpassengers. We did arrive back at Dunkerque early to try and catch the earlier ferry, we were not able too, if we were just a car no problem. We did stay over night at the Ferry terminal not a problem with that. We travelled October, one thing we did find the ferry terminal was not on our Sat Nav!! so if you go this route just check it is on your Sat Nav or mark it as a favourite when you land so you can get back to it easily. Also the ferry port is not in Dunkirque it is just along the coast on the very outskirts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

Norfolk Line for me every year. Lovely boats good access onto boat with a caravan and Dunkerque dock exit onto Motorway real easy. We have never come back on the date booked and always got on the next available boat with no extra charges. First class outfit.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Crusader, in answer to Norfolk Line question, yes you can get on the next ferry if it has room, we have done it several times as the line suites us. Mind you it did cost us once a surcharge on our ticket but it was not mega bucks.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if you can stop on the dock side at Dunkirk, like you can at Calais. The ferry gets in around 23.00hrs a bit late to look for an overnight stop.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve W

We have been on Norfolk Line twice now. Apart from the lovely boats I have found them very helpful. In 2006 we had a breakdown and had to change our homeward sailing. Phoned them and they said just let them know when we wanted to travel - phoned up and they fitted me on the boat I wanted even though busy weekend and no extra charge. This year homeward, unexpectedly, had son with us, he had flown out to join us. Declared his presence at check-in expecting a surcharge, no, "nothing extra to pay sir".

Lovely well designed boats. We "run" to get good seat in the restaurant lounge right over the bows. Great view, great food.

Regarding staying at Dunkerque not sure about the docks. On the way out we have travelled on the 4.00am ferry - cheap and gives us a full day's drive. Both years we have been travelling down to Italy via, Belgium, Luxb and Switzerland. We stop of at the second autoroute aire, (first aire was being rebuilt and so a construction site( where there is a large carpark. We have then slept peacefully in the caravan for a few hours before getting in a full day's driving.

The only disadvantage for us Merseysiders is the journey to Dover, especially the M25 part.

Norfolk Line for me every time.

Tim

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if you can stop on the dock side at Dunkirk, like you can at Calais. The ferry gets in around 23.00hrs a bit late to look for an overnight stop.

Steve W
Yes you can there is a carpark to the right as you go towards the ticket barriers, think it is marked something like no tickets, we parked over night there no problem.

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
We did try to get on a previous ferry, but we were travelling at the wrong time the start of French half term and the end of ours so watch the time you are travelling, also if you book a long time (we did about 6 months) in advance as we did when we asked about a change in ferries at Dunkirque there would have been no charge.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Regarding stopping in docks, we have not seen any facilities but just outside past the lorry park there is a round about, if you turn left there you will find a vast area of sand/grass (do not go too far off the road in case the sand might be soft for you). We have used it a few times when arriving to early for the boat.As been said by others the Norfolk is top of the list.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes you can there is a carpark to the right as you go towards the ticket barriers, think it is marked something like no tickets, we parked over night there no problem.
Staying on the Ferry car park at Dunkirk is not to be recommended, it is too isolated and many illegals in the area. The British custom people based there certainly don't commend.

TRENDING THREADS