Nose weight and stability

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi All, I'm looking to purchase a Bailey Pegasus Grande SE messina to tow with a car that has a max tow ball rating of 100kg. With a MTPLM of 1698kg, the highest noseweight I can achieve in 5.88%. Whilst this figure obviously falls into the 5-7% recommendation, I'm concerned this may cause some instability as it's towards the lower end of the scale. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. There's not a lot that you can do about fixed specifications. But at 6% you should be fine providing you pay attention to the many other aspects that make for safe towing. tyre pressures in car and caravan, good weight distribution within the caravan in line with the general guidelines. Trying to keep the car heavy and caravan light is a good principle. I assume that the caravan is fitted with the Alko ATC system, and whilst its always a better to tackle the basics first, having ATC is a valuable fallback, as are any trailer control systems on the car.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I tow an 1800kg mtplm Bailey Pegasus GT65 @ 5.27%, 95kg Nose weight (car has maximum of 100kg nose weight). TBH the caravan has not been loaded to it's maximum weight and I carry as much heavy stuff in the car as possible.
Never felt unstable and I have never felt the ATC activate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The fact is there is no universal correct nose load, each outfit will have slightly different characteristics depending on the car and caravan and the way it's loaded and driven. However it is always better to err towards the max available limit than to go too small.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts