noseweights

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies, what roughly will a rear mounted wheel carrier reduce the nose weight by? and can the gas bottles be stored over the axel in the wash room... Do you think I will be able to achieve the 60k with these alterations... problem is the van is in storage so cannot test it out until march.. Or do I have to buy a new car,, hope not this one is only four months old... The 307 estate with the same engine has a nose weight of 72k, its the same car but I cannot get find out why the sw version has the lwer nose weight,,, any suggestions????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The battery in our Ace Jubilee Statesman is at the very rear and when I went from 85 amp hr battery to 100amp hr ,a difference of about 8kg the noseweight dropped by about the same amount. We are told not to put heavy things at the rear etc but that is the max effect achievable and so you could try gradually moving thins further back .We use very little gas so we use 2 Camping Gaz cylinders which is a big weight saving for example.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer each point in turn: The rear mounted carrier will reduce your noseweight by about 120% of the weight of your spare wheel. The gas bottles can't be stored in the washroom - they must be secured upright in a ventilated space with "drop holes". They shouldn't go in the car either. Is the 307sw a seven-seater? If so, the lower noseweight will probably be because of the metal under the rear of the car - perhaps less of it or in different places. I wouldn't change the car as dropping 18kgs is easy - the spare wheel is probably most of that. Try travelling with only one gas bottle, or one full and one empty to be exchanged at your destination (obviously not in Europe though) - that's another 6kg gone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony

Noseweight, is the downward load on the tow ball, this is generally 75-100kgs, this is approx 7% of the laden weight of the van, it allso depends on the towcar, some have a lower weight of 50-60kgs, the lower weight is recomended, this is to do with stress on car & caravan chassis, exceding either can invalide any warrenties which could result in unstability, It has been known for a towbar to break off due to incorect loading. For safty It is not recomended that Gas cylinders be stored inside a van whilst in transit the must be secured in the proper place.To help calculate N/W Items stored in the van are approx, Tv.. 8.5k spare wheel.. 14k battery 15.5k Awnings from 40k, 2x7kg Gas is 30kg, if in dout weigh each item on bathroom scales,to use the scales place a peice of wood on first then cut a peice of broom handle place under the coupling, by moving kit around the axle will achieve the reslut, this action only needs to be done once as you will know where things are stowed for best result, it should remain same. The diference in the N/W of the 307 saloon and estate is that estates are designed to carry a greater load therefor have stronger suspestion. to replace this is costly, much cheaper to move kit around.when your van is ready for the road on level ground the outfit should be level or slightly down at the cupling, but never upwards. Finaly the whole unit can be weighed at a public weigh bridge for app

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts