Not sure what to do?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have two dogs and two cats. Someone is throwing food over our fence mainly bits of meat. While we were away a big piece of meat was thrown over the fence and a egg was thrown against the shed which is at the bottom of the garden. The impact suggest that it came over the fence from the next door neighbour with whom we have been having issues with for the past several years. He is a right miserable old sod living on his own. We try to ignore him but on more than one occasion he has upset the wife with his actions.

Although I have photos of the meat and egg obviously it is difficult to prove how they got there. However I am now seriously considering installing a CCTV camera for our back garden. Our concern is obviously the meat could affect one of our animals resulting in a large vet bill or even the death of the pet.

Although a system that stores data for several days would be ideal, I need a system that can keep the data for a lot longer, but I guess that will cost a small fortune. Not sure if there is a system where you can access it remotely to check past 24 hours and if nothing, erase to start over again. Problem again if it is done during the night, then camera may not pick up stuff being chucked over the fence.

Can anyone offer suggestions on CCTV for the home? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have two dogs and two cats. Someone is throwing food over our fence mainly bits of meat. While we were away a big piece of meat was thrown over the fence and a egg was thrown against the shed which is at the bottom of the garden. The impact suggest that it came over the fence from the next door neighbour with whom we have been having issues with for the past several years. He is a right miserable old sod living on his own. We try to ignore him but on more than one occasion he has upset the wife with his actions.

Although I have photos of the meat and egg obviously it is difficult to prove how they got there. However I am now seriously considering installing a CCTV camera for our back garden. Our concern is obviously the meat could affect one of our animals resulting in a large vet bill or even the death of the pet.

Although a system that stores data for several days would be ideal, I need a system that can keep the data for a lot longer, but I guess that will cost a small fortune. Not sure if there is a system where you can access it remotely to check past 24 hours and if nothing, erase to start over again. Problem again if it is done during the night, then camera may not pick up stuff being chucked over the fence.

Our son uses a movement detection camera which is very sensitive and starts up even for a mouse. It uses IR for nighttime and is battery powered. He can interrogate it from the house or remove the SD and download onto his PC. Sort of thing you see on nature programmes. He uses it for garden wildlife watching.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our son uses a movement detection camera which is very sensitive and starts up even for a mouse. It uses IR for nighttime and is battery powered. He can interrogate it from the house or remove the SD and download onto his PC. Sort of thing you see on nature programmes. He uses it for garden wildlife watching.
Do you know the make and model please? We lost a dog earlier this year and now OH is wondering if he ate something that affected his organs? He was a fairly healthy dog with no visible ailments, but went rapidly downhill in a period of two weeks in January until he passed on.
Could be total coincidence, but does have us wondering as he ate anything that caused an upset. The other two are a lot more fussy.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

You hit the nail on the head Ian. There are a lot of CCTV set ups available. But most tend to be subscription and work out expencive over tim. But there are non subscription options available, some save to anSD card, some to a hard drive and some to your network which I think could be configured to be accessed through your own cloud if you have one.

Personally I would avoid the subscription ones.

John

PS, my son has a RING system, 1 doorbell and 1 camera. That’s £2.40 per month for each. Or £8 for enhanced and more devises. But it seems to work well.

At one time he could prove that a delivery which was supposed to have been made, was not.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a 4 camera system, with hard drive, the main box sits in the loft with a feed down to a monitor and mouse in the bedroom/office,the cameras record 24 hours a day on a 14 day loop, they record at night although that tends to be black and white, there is a usb that allows you to select specific footage and store to a memory stick. the system works well, one camera covers the area where the caravan is parked as we cannot see most of it from the house, there are certain blind spots though, especially the one where a cat comes and does his toilet.The screen can be split to show all 4 camera views, or single camera view that can be enlarged using the mouse, the system was supplied by a local alarm company. System can be remotely accessed via phone as well.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have found the Ring Stick up Cam Solar camera on Amazon which does come with a subscription at £2.50 a month and can be accessed remotely and works at night. It can be positioned in such a way that it only overlooks our rear garden fences so no infringement of privacy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you know the make and model please? We lost a dog earlier this year and now OH is wondering if he ate something that affected his organs? He was a fairly healthy dog with no visible ailments, but went rapidly downhill in a period of two weeks in January until he passed on.
Could be total coincidence, but does have us wondering as he ate anything that caused an upset. The other two are a lot more fussy.
He’s not available at present. But i think it came from U.K. wildlife cameras

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Many many years ago we had a neighbour who had a very large dog and the owners use to flick his mess over our garden fence, I got very annoyed and told them so which they ignored . So I played them at there own game and tossed it back then it stopped and for reason we did not know they moved.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a Hikvision 4 camera system installed. It came with a 2gb hdd and i changed that for an 8gb hdd. With the cameras on their highest setting and recording 24/7, i get around 68 days recording.

The cameras are colour HD 8mp, and have backup led lighting. The image is as clear at midnight as it is midday. I can draw both boundary boxes and hotlines via the software which sends both a warning and link to a video clip when either is crossed.

Cost £2000.

You can download bandwidth calculators which allow you to input camera specs and settings and it will then tell you the hdd size you need.

Always use surveillance drives.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have found the Ring Stick up Cam Solar camera on Amazon which does come with a subscription at £2.50 a month and can be accessed remotely and works at night. It can be positioned in such a way that it only overlooks our rear garden fences so no infringement of privacy.

FYI re the privacy law. When CCTV is installed, there is bound to be some overlap onto neighbours property, but, if the camera is clearly positioned to protect your property and doesnt cover your neighbours property by more than 50% of the image, then you are not in breach of privacy laws. Its the clearly positioned to protect your property that is the main point. We had ours installed by a police recommended installer, who also does town centre cameras etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
FYI re the privacy law. When CCTV is installed, there is bound to be some overlap onto neighbours property, but, if the camera is clearly positioned to protect your property and doesnt cover your neighbours property by more than 50% of the image, then you are not in breach of privacy laws. Its the clearly positioned to protect your property that is the main point. We had ours installed by a police recommended installer, who also does town centre cameras etc.
Thanks as I did check on the ICO site regarding installation. Our rear garden is enclosed with 6' fencing so cannot see into neighbour's backyard anyway so no issue there. If we had one out front then there will be an issue.
However at times when my wife is out back he makes insulting remarks or noises and these will be recorded as the wife will be moving in the back garden. He does the same at times when she is taking the dogs for a walk i.e. banging on his window to make the dogs bark, laughing hysterically or shouting. Unfortunately placing a camera anywhere in the front to cover the garden will probably capture part of his garden or the public footpath which is about 3- 4m away.
We really need to put a stop to his antics as it is stressing my wife out as we never know what he is going to do next. We have never caused him any issue as we mainly keep to ourselves and he has been like this since we moved into the home in 2010. He is just one of those people that like to annoy others.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Buckman, it sounds like your neighbour has mental issues, and that is very difficult to fight, we have one like that here. The police are loathe to get involved when it is that sort of situation. However its still harrasment and gathering evidence is a must.

Be aware though that the camera must catch the person in the act of throwing, rather than just picking up what comes over the fence. We had that with the rugby ball issue. All the neighbours saw them kicking the ball into the air, and were prepared to give statements, we saw them doing it, but nobody actually saw the split second when whichever moron kicked the ball. Despite initially admitting to the police they had done it, they then got their heads together and refused to say which one of them had actually kicked the ball the crucial time, and TBH the police just werent interested.

Hence the cameras. One front camera covers all our frontage, the nearside of the caravan, front and rear of caravan and both cars. It also covers the whole width of the road in front of us, and about 15% of the image covers their garden up to the house wall. It also covers the left of the cul-de-sac up to all the front gardens. The second fron camera covers the other side of the caravan and the right hand side of the cul-de-sac, overlapping slightly the other camera. Both cameras are legally positioned, cover the whole length of the road, the morons garden and a bit more besides. Mounted high enough, you would be amazed at what one turret camera will pickup. If you are thinking of sound recording, you will need a large hard drive.

We have looked at many systems, and eventually realised full HD colour was the best way forwards. Very much like the NVGs, and Starlight systems we used to use in the mob, we found that on b/w/greyscale, light clothing appeared the same hue as green bushes and anyone stood in front of a bush simply disappeared.

This is an image taken at 0230hrs on a misty morning, cropped for privacy. Despite the hour, its almost as clear as daylight. The image is about a sixth of the whole view of the camera, and is also in digital zoom mode which does detract a little from clarity.

38f49053-d555-49fd-a1ae-b0f1eea5540c.jpg

I also took the still from the lower streaming setting (sent to my mobile), but even on that setting, you could clearly identify an individual or number plate. Video on the higher setting is HD quality too,

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman, it sounds like your neighbour has mental issues, and that is very difficult to fight, we have one like that here. The police are loathe to get involved when it is that sort of situation. However its still harrasment and gathering evidence is a must.

Be aware though that the camera must catch the person in the act of throwing, rather than just picking up what comes over the fence. We had that with the rugby ball issue. All the neighbours saw them kicking the ball into the air, and were prepared to give statements, we saw them doing it, but nobody actually saw the split second when whichever moron kicked the ball. Despite initially admitting to the police they had done it, they then got their heads together and refused to say which one of them had actually kicked the ball the crucial time, and TBH the police just werent interested.

Anything coming over the fence from his side will be picked up and can only be him. The egg against the shed could only have come from the direction of his garden as the impact is near the top of the shed and the egg had to be thrown across 5m of garden to impact the shed.
We already have electric fencing around our property, but that is within out boundary. The electric fence was installed to keep other cats out, but mainly to stop squirrels who can be a right pests.
We don't interfere with him at all so do not see any reason why he keeps having a "go" at my wife. Maybe he does not like foreigners living next to him as wife is Welsh and I am South African? :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You may also find this link very useful when determining which storage solution to use. Its an American tool but all the conversions match UK specs. I have tried a few but this one is pretty near fully accurate.

CCTV Storage Space and Network Bandwidth Calculator (jvsg.com)
Thanks the Ring camera subscription stores the data for up to 30 days and there does not seem to be a limit. Camera only activates on movement and we can access it from anywhere in the world as long as we have an Internet connection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts