Nothing new to read

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've now been caravaning for around 5 years and compared to many of the people who contribute to this excellent forum I consider myself a mere novice, I'm the sort of person who is pretty good at fixing things without the need of instructions or workshop manuals and have managed to maintain my 1999 Avondale in what I consider to be well above average condition for a van of this maturity, I reckon I probably come on to this forum at least 2/3 times a day and just browse the various topics and my maintaining my van to its current condition is (without blowing my own trumpet) down to partly my own initiative as to how to fix things when no spare parts are available but also without a shadow of a doubt largely due to the vast wealth of knowledge that is available by just browsing this forum, things that 5 years ago would have been totally new to me (pressure switches, micro switches, nose weights, MTPLM, MGW etc etc) now whilst I seldom will offer advice I often will concur with the advice being offered by the more experienced amongst our ranks, this is maybe a bit out of place but there are loads of regular posters/advisors on here who can be singled out for praise for their expertise, people such as what I may be being presumptuous or to some sexist in assuming they are female who advise on things such as curtains soft furnishings etc but who have given us hints, tips and ideas, people like prof johnL who seems to have such a grasp of legalities, often backed up by gagakev and dustydog, then we have sprocket who must be one of the most expert users of this site I've come across, ask about something and very soon there will be a link posted taking you to where you were looking for, then there's our moderators, Parksy, forgive me Parksy if I'm wrong but I imagine you to be a fairly soft spoken, maybe late 50's early 60's guy who's seen and done most things and just enjoys life to the full who sees your role as keeping the peace when things get a little heated, what a brilliant job you do of this, the other moderator I would single out is Damien, I'm sure Damien rubs lots of people up the wrong way, personally I find his no nonsense answers and saying things exactly as he finds them a refreshing change, if he thinks someone is doing something dangerous he comes straight out and says, his wealth of technical knowledge is obvious for all to see., I could go on for ever singling out individuals who seem to have knowledge of a particular aspect of this hobby that brings us all to this forum and have helped me to get such pleasure from it, but I will finish by saying a big thank you to all who contribute.
I've just remembered what prompted mt to start writing this, from around April every yeat until around now there is loads to read on here because we are all using our caravans more so all seeking advice etc, then things quieten down and there is less to read and learn, so roll on next spring when we all start looking for new adventures in our own home from home.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That's very well said Sir Sticky.

In a few weeks time the Woosiefest takes place at Wheathill Shropshire.
There are still places left if you wish to join.
This forum was the vehicle that brought all the Woosies together from all over the UK. It demonstrates that caravanning is great fun and full of enjoyment.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Beehpee, or to use you correct title Sir Sticky,
when I read your post I thought my god that's me 30years ago, of course back then there was no forums internet or even computers, you had to be handy because there was no alternative.
everything was done by the seat of your pants, if you did not know something you had to find out through any means required, and if that failed it was down to experimentation, now of course sometimes that went wrong but even that was a lesson worth learning as it added to your experience and knowlege of the systems involved.
of course back then there was very little in the form of legistlation or compulsory requirements that we have today.
that is where the expertiees of the Prof and Damian come into their own.
many other forumites add their knowlege and experiences to threads, while one does not always agree with them you do get some idea for their point of view and somehow also get a feeling that you know them even if you never meet them.
my biggest regret is that now the van has gone (and the vanning days over) I never met anyone from the forum that I have conversed with over the years, especially the Woosies some of whom are famous (been on telly) or have the sense of humour I feel in touch with.
one is always going to be a Woosie so enjoy it!!!!,
by the way if you visit the forum 2 or 3 times a day you really must try and get out more :woohoo:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thats a very nice post Beehpee, and of course you're spot on in your observation that the forum sometimes becomes a little quieter after summer is over.
This needn't be the case because many caravanners now use their caravans all year round and those who don't could use the cooler months productively by catching up on maintenance and those little jobs on the caravan that seem to be put off, I have one or two of these myself.
I've been meaning to install my reversing camera into my towcar after I sold the previous one a couple of years ago :blush: but in the meantime my other half (who doesn't drive) has become very good at guiding me straight on to the tow hitch using hand signals so that she regularly achieves a 'hole in one' with the towball directly under the tow hitch these days. I will get round to doing the job this winter :cheer:
Thank you for your very kind words, you have indeed summed me up correctly even to my age ( 62), and I do enjoy life to the full, I've been around the block quite a bit and tend not to shout much. :)
I hope that you will continue to enjoy the forum plus the remainder of the website which is continually added to by the Practical Caravan team and the caravan channel which is available via Sky or online

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Awe Sir Sticky thats a good post (only cos you mentioned me) :woohoo:
But can I just ask why you feel you cannot give advice, I for one was very sceptical when I started on here but the only advice I give is just like yourself either learned form here on the forum or from experience, and there are a lot more experienced people on here than me, Sir Sprocket annoys me :lol: :lol: :lol:
And dont forget you are only giving advice it's up to others to check it out (now I sound like the prof) :lol:

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Sir Sticky

I think your 5 year apprenticeship is now served :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
All advice is free that's the great thing of being on here ;)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you find caravanners as a whole are a friendly and helpful lot and it is good to know that people do find the advice on here useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts