Novice Caravaner - What do I need

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Just having retired i am thinking of taking my husband on a few short breaks once I have decided on a caravan, managed to get training on towing etc

i would like any suggestions as newbies to caravanning of any accessories you have found that are important when out and about in your caravan to make life that bit easier

thanks

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Sounds great, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
You don't need to spend a fortune and a lot of stuff will be availbale second hand from gumtree/evilbay etc.
Aquaroll, waste master, a bit of drainpipe to fill the aquaroll. Wheel ramps, some bits of wood to go under the corner steadies especially if on an unlevel site. A cordless drill can make winding the legs down less of a chore but don't over do it. Spirit level or a phone app that does the same Deckchairs, wine glasses, wine , kettle. I'm sure there is more but after so many years just take it for granted .........................................

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to this forum Missiemoo.
As a novice I strongly recommend you join the Caravan and Motor Home Club. They provide an absolute wealth of information that will,stand you in good stead going forward.
Their towing courses go beyond just driving. I think you will find one very useful. Best of luck.

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to this forum Missiemoo.
As a novice I strongly recommend you join the Caravan and Motor Home Club. They provide an absolute wealth of information that will,stand you in good stead going forward.
Their towing courses go beyond just driving. I think you will find one very useful. Best of luck.
I am thinking of going on one of those courses - just been out today and got the tow bar checked on the car - just needs a bit of work on it. Just need to decide on a small caravan - 2 berth then I can keep it on my drive otherwise storage costs come into it .

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Sounds great, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
You don't need to spend a fortune and a lot of stuff will be availbale second hand from gumtree/evilbay etc.
Aquaroll, waste master, a bit of drainpipe to fill the aquaroll. Wheel ramps, some bits of wood to go under the corner steadies especially if on an unlevel site. A cordless drill can make winding the legs down less of a chore but don't over do it. Spirit level or a phone app that does the same Deckchairs, wine glasses, wine , kettle. I'm sure there is more but after so many years just take it for granted .........................................
Thanks that’s helpful - now to find a caravan either now or early next year once the tow bar is sorted

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The Camping and Caravanning Club produce this list - although don't start buying until you see whats in the deal when you buy the van (You may get a 'starter pack' thrown in by a dealer, or a lot of kit left by a previous owner.):
Camping and Caravanning Club Blog - 20 things you need in your essential caravan starter kit
Just at the moment there is a shortage of new or used vans because of covid and many dealerships are very low on stock. If you are new to caravans it might be best to buy from a reputable dealer with some warranty - however if the right van comes up you can always employ a techie to check it over for you - especially for the dreaded damp!
- a list of over 500 here and if you scroll down pre-purchase inspections are one of the headline items:
Approved Touring Caravan & Motorhome Servicing in the UK (approvedworkshops.co.uk)

Start with the kerbweight of the car and provided there is no lower limit specified aim for about 85% for the MTPLM of the caravan. This is an area fraught with debate and you will find a current posting on this forum if you wish! Then look at layouts that fall within your limits - handy reference file at the back of every PC magazine of new vans to get you started.

Reactions: Missiemoo
Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
The Camping and Caravanning Club produce this list - although don't start buying until you see whats in the deal when you buy the van (You may get a 'starter pack' thrown in by a dealer, or a lot of kit left by a previous owner.):
Camping and Caravanning Club Blog - 20 things you need in your essential caravan starter kit
Just at the moment there is a shortage of new or used vans because of covid and many dealerships are very low on stock. If you are new to caravans it might be best to buy from a reputable dealer with some warranty - however if the right van comes up you can always employ a techie to check it over for you - especially for the dreaded damp!
- a list of over 500 here and if you scroll down pre-purchase inspections are one of the headline items:
Approved Touring Caravan & Motorhome Servicing in the UK (approvedworkshops.co.uk)

Start with the kerbweight of the car and provided there is no lower limit specified aim for about 85% for the MTPLM of the caravan. This is an area fraught with debate and you will find a current posting on this forum if you wish! Then look at layouts that fall within your limits - handy reference file at the back of every PC magazine of new vans to get you started.
Very helpful - thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
An electric hook up lead and a step are usually provided by caravan dealers when selling a caravan, but if they're not there budget about £50 for the ehu lead and a sturdy step.
Don't be tempted to splash the cash too much in caravan accessory shops, crockery, cutlery, glasses and the all important tin/ bottle opener and corkscrew can be bought a lot cheaper at a supermarket or Wilkinsons.
Good luck

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you are in no rush, keep searching to find the right van. At the moment stock is low and prices are high. For example I have just seen the same model, ( but year older) as our 2 berth for £900 more than we paid for it 3 years ago. Once holiday destinations reopen, I suspect a chunk of folks who bought a caravan during lockdown will be selling it again. Could be wrong, but keep your eye on the internet.
Happy hunting
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at the two clubs websites they have lots of help sheets including lists of kit. You don’t need everything from day 1 but it’s a starter. Also CMHC members classifieds will have kit being sold and has caravans too. Often where a member is giving up for possible health or personal reasons and everything may be included in the sale.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our cutlery and other kitchen things were bought in the normal shops. Cheap lightweight items are useful as this helps keep the weight down. Most comes from IKEA, cheap and cheerful but it works, but with some things from ASDA l, although the pans area Sainsbury's basic set. Again cheap and lightweight but they work.
Dealers are good for specific caravan items but for other things you will do better with the normal shops.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts