Oh dear

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why is it that on a day like this, we each have an urgent medical appointment? OH has been waiting 5 months for the appointment at the local hospital about 12 miles away so going to be a very hairy drive even with our Jeep as no gritters in our back woods. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why is it that on a day like this, we each have an urgent medical appointment? OH has been waiting 5 months for the appointment at the local hospital about 12 miles away so going to be a very hairy drive even with our Jeep as no gritters in our back woods. LOL! :D
Just have faith in Uncle Sam’s finest 👍

• Haha
Reactions: RogerL and Buckman
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Just stop for a moment and think how many thousands of miles of road there are in your county. (Google should be able to tell you)
Then how many gritters are available and the speed they can travel at while gritting.
Now work out how long it will take for all of those miles of roads to be gritted just once by the limited number available! It's many days!
So Highways agencies have to prioritise the order in which roads are gritted. The more traffic a road takes the higher up the priority list it is. Motorways are top of the list, followed by the strategic network routes (busy inter town A roads) and so on.
So your "back woods" roads are going to be at the bottom of the list because of the low traffic volumes.
If you choose to live in the "back woods" then you clearly must accept such things as part of the price.
The timing of the snow and appointment, for you, is regrettable. But no-one knew about the snow when it was arranged did they!
Should "your" roads be gritted to ease travelling for a few tens of motorists, or motorways for many thousands!

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Well of course the logistics of gritting roads in not rocket science. I'm sure you understand exactly how things work.
However.............!
Good luck with your journey and let's hope the visit is successful.
Drive carefully.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You've got a good 4wd car, these are conditions when it's in it's element - use it, you've paid for it!

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We live at the bottom of a slope which we have to drive up before we can get on the level estate roads. It's the first time in years we have not had a 4WD or even 2WD with all seasons tyres on. The last time it snowed and was hard packed ice we went around to an adjacent through road where there is a council grit bin. I then filled an empty chicken pellet container with rock salt, but thus far haven't had to use it to scatter on the road outside of our house. Yesterday our three relatives in the town all drove to wherever they had to go without problem even though they only have summer tyres on 2wd cars.

Mind you we only started to have 4wd cars (Disco2) in 2000, yet prior to that lived on Dartmoor and in Cumbria with daily commutes of 15 miles approx, each way and managed just fine with our 2Wd cars with whatever tyres were fitted in those days, but the tyres did have more sipes and tread blocks than modern summer tyres. Hence my liking for All Seasons....but at around £800 for a set on the Kia I'm prepared to stay in when it snows and wait for them to wear out. Which could be along while as they have only done 7000 miles. Buckman's Jeep will be absolutely fine.

photo 10 .JPG

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just stop for a moment and think how many thousands of miles of road there are in your county. (Google should be able to tell you)
Then how many gritters are available and the speed they can travel at while gritting.
Now work out how long it will take for all of those miles of roads to be gritted just once by the limited number available! It's many days!
So Highways agencies have to prioritise the order in which roads are gritted. The more traffic a road takes the higher up the priority list it is. Motorways are top of the list, followed by the strategic network routes (busy inter town A roads) and so on.
So your "back woods" roads are going to be at the bottom of the list because of the low traffic volumes.
If you choose to live in the "back woods" then you clearly must accept such things as part of the price.
The timing of the snow and appointment, for you, is regrettable. But no-one knew about the snow when it was arranged did they!
Should "your" roads be gritted to ease travelling for a few tens of motorists, or motorways for many thousands!

My post was very light hearted hence the laughing smiley so not sure why it requires such a long tirade and lecture? :unsure: Our road to the main road is only 100m long so no big deal and we have never expected it to be gritted in all the time we have lived here.

Just to add that the last time they had a heavy snow fall, the police shut down the main road which is on the way to the hospital due to a steep hill. Only capable 4x4s were allowed up and down the hill even though the road had been gritted earlier.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Hopefully your hospital, goes well, but you should know by now that anything that is posted on here, can and will turn into an argument between forum members,

I have to admit, I belong to several forums across several interest groups and I've never known anything like caravan forums to spin arguments and fall-outs out of nothing!

Back to the snow, we're fortunate that two local farmers put a plough onto the front of their tractors and keep the main routes through town clear, true invisible heroes! Mind you, as I've got nowhere to go I'll just leave the Volvo-shaped snowman sitting in the drive until it all thaws.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully your hospital goes well for you both but in North Lincolnshire we have no snow just rain so far

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sadly got to go this morning and not looking forward to the trip as it is really chucking down with snow this morning. Visibility is severely reduced, but we have no option.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a set of Snow chains for when we used to drive to Switzerland in Winter, never had to use them, just for legal reasons, but I must admit if I lived in an area where I could risk getting stuck in snow I would buy a set of Snow socks for the car, easier to fit and remove than chains.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The local schools went into panic mode this morning and closed, it’s now 9.45 am and I’m looking out the window watching it all thaw! There’s going to be some bored kids around today!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The local schools went into panic mode this morning and closed, it’s now 9.45 am and I’m looking out the window watching it all thaw! There’s going to be some bored kids around today!
Our grandson was off school yesterday as it was closed due to Health and Safety concerns however yesterday our daughter who works at a different school had her first taste of driving while it was snowing. None of her family have experienced snow in any form until yesterday. LOL!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a set of Snow chains for when we used to drive to Switzerland in Winter, never had to use them, just for legal reasons, but I must admit if I lived in an area where I could risk getting stuck in snow I would buy a set of Snow socks for the car, easier to fit and remove than chains.
That might get some snow socks for my new car it would give extra grip

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I passed my driving test in 75 and I’ve never bought winter tyres or even expensive well known makes of tyres tyres, I’ve just driven carefully when required, I’ve only had a 4 wheel drive for the last 3 years, I’ve always preferred to run a vehicle with front wheel drive and not once have I got stuck in the road conditions, using the brain is the best thing to use and that will get you through or around most situations, a lot, but not all of course don’t think of a safe route and go at it like a bull dog and hope for the best and then expect others to get them out of the proverbial.

BP

Reactions: Hutch and paulsy69
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting trips into the town yesterday and today. Amazing the number of people who think it is safe to drive a car covered in snow with a single wipe mark across the windscreen so that they can see in a forward direction.

Also yesterday on the dual carriageway I was travelling at about 50mph due to light snow and wet road surface, quite surprised at the number of people passing at high speed and also some tailgating the vehicle in front.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I passed my driving test in 75 and I’ve never bought winter tyres or even expensive well known makes of tyres tyres, I’ve just driven carefully when required, I’ve only had a 4 wheel drive for the last 3 years, I’ve always preferred to run a vehicle with front wheel drive and not once have I got stuck in the road conditions, using the brain is the best thing to use and that will get you through or around most situations, a lot, but not all of course don’t think of a safe route and go at it like a bull dog and hope for the best and then expect others to get them out of the proverbial.

BP
There is a lot to be said for a decent set of four season tyres. Since using Michilan Cross Climates and once Goodyear 4 seasons, I have found the grip vastly superior on snow and wet roads, even on my 2wd cars. Of course I always drive to conditions . The fact is, the majority of tyres fitted to cars are summer tyres. Perfectly legal and safe enough for driving in winter / wet weather if people are driving sensibly, however four season tyres provide extra reassurance in adverse conditions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is a lot to be said for a decent set of four season tyres. Since using Michilan Cross Climates and once Goodyear 4 seasons, I have found the grip vastly superior on snow and wet roads, even on my 2wd cars. Of course I always drive to conditions . The fact is, the majority of tyres fitted to cars are summer tyres. Perfectly legal and safe enough for driving in winter / wet weather if people are driving sensibly, however four season tyres provide extra reassurance in adverse conditions.
Whilst I agree your comments on all seasons which we have had for a good number of years but not on our two current cars. At over £800 for one car I’m waiting till next Autumn to put them on the runabout. But whilst summer tyres may be safe and legal that’s not too helpful if you aren’t going anywhere through lack of traction. I guess a lot of those stuck on M62 were on summer tyres. The treads just fill up and lose grip in quite low levels of snow. Ever seen the video of the police x5 series all over the place in light snow. Just like my walking Vibram soled boots do on Wiltshire mud. 🙁. When I did some serious off road driving what was important were tyres , ground clearance and torque.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It all comes down to understanding your driving regime, and your limitations, I have changed from All season Knokian to Hankook summer K117 as they are a " Chunkier," tread pattern, more suited for what I want, good on wet grass , and all round grip, if on serious snow, I have my snow chains, ( I dought I will ever fit them in the UK) my present tyres have been used in fresh snow upto 3 inches fine. For next winter I might buy a set of Snow socks as I see them as an easier fit than my chains,
But the walk to the pub in the snow is only 15 minutes. 25 minutes back, as said before, the difference is staggering. 🍻

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts