Oh the joys of driving again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This afternoon I took my daughter to the Bristol Royal Infirmary for a Covid 19 antibody test. It’s my longest journey since lockdown and what a delight it was. The M5 traffic was light and even in inner Bristol I didn’t have folks on my tail as I’m not that conversant with that fair cities roads, preferring to use the train.
I didn’t get a fantastic mpg given the aircon was on full chat. I almost got nostalgic in believing I had a caravan on the back heading for Wales.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It;s back to normal levels really round Lincoln-a few weeks ago it was bliss but now it's full of 45 miles an hour all the timers or clowns trying to do 100!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Traffic was very light on the M42/M5 yesterday - we had a day out down to WWT Slimbridge and I've never known weekday traffic so light.

It wasn't a wonderful drive though, I was in a rental M-B GLE while mine was repaired, just not as nice as the Touareg!

Reactions: PTA
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Traffic was very light on the M42/M5 yesterday - we had a day out down to WWT Slimbridge and I've never known weekday traffic so light.

It wasn't a wonderful drive though, I was in a rental M-B GLE while mine was repaired, just not as nice as the Touareg!

Talking of rental vehicles I had a similar experience today, when my Shogun went in for some repair works after being rear ended I had a Toyota Yaris to play with, the guy left me to get use to the controls etc and after 5 minutes I went back to the office and said it wont start!!
Put your foot on the clutch and push it down to the floor he said.
Told him my automatic Shogun didnt have a clutch and walked out.
It worked though pushing the clutch in o_O

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Talking of rental vehicles I had a similar experience today, when my Shogun went in for some repair works after being rear ended I had a Toyota Yaris to play with, the guy left me to get use to the controls etc and after 5 minutes I went back to the office and said it wont start!!

My wife’s Kia Rio requires the clutch to be depressed before it will start. Comes in very useful as we can leave the car in gear and handbrake off if left for long periods or in freezing conditions.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi i bet you enjoyed driving a Toyota Yaris :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My driving instructor always told me to depress the clutch for starting. Presumably as the Ford Anglia didn’t have enough power in its starter to churn the gearbox particularly on cold days. The habit has stuck over the last 56 years.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Why wouldn’t you, brilliant little cars for what they are.
Do you not have to have your foot on the brake to start your Shogun? The four automatics I've had in the last 6 years required this to start

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Do you not have to have your foot on the brake to start your Shogun? The four automatics I've had in the last 6 years required this to start
Actually i would agree they are great and my wife likes the (Aygo) as well

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Actually i would agree they are great and my wife likes the (Aygo) as well
We’ve had the Daihatsu Sirion, which shares the same platform and drivetrain as the Aygo , Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, since 2007. 101% reliable, still on its original battery, clutch and exhaust at 87k miles. 2 sets of front tyres and 1 rear set 1 set of brake pads. Never had to have the air con recharged either still works really well. If it fell apart tomorrow it would owe us nothing. Key to its reliability is..............its so simple.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife had a Mitsbushi Attivo Colt 58Plate brought it when it was 3 years old done 24,000 it now on 74,000 she says it brilliant it started first go gets 60mpg She already got someone he wants it and still waiting

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I haven't driven a car made in the last ten years that if manual doesn't require clutch down, or if auto, foot brake on. Motorcycles now the same, all Triumphs need clutch in to turn the starter, even though there's neutral and sidestand interlocks

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
i see you don"t live to far from me i bet the A15 road was the same they suppose to do 50mph :)
We are right on the A57-it's as busy as it was before lockdown but the driving stds appear worse-biked to work last week and nearly had the front wheel taken out from me by a car turning left on to the Collingham road when i was happily tootling along toward Dunham Bridge-didn't have the air horn charged-I do now!!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Nope, just turn the key none of this fathing about lark.

I haven't driven a car made in the last ten years that if manual doesn't require clutch down, or if auto, foot brake on. Motorcycles now the same, all Triumphs need clutch in to turn the starter, even though there's neutral and sidestand interlocks

Now thats the problem, I havent had the opportunity to drive any thing less than 10 years old, me ole Shogun is 13 now.
Might be able to buy a newer car when I retire in 8 years time. (if I'm lucky!)

Reactions: Tuningdrew
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nope, just turn the key none of this fathing about lark.

Now thats the problem, I havent had the opportunity to drive any thing less than 10 years old, me ole Shogun is 13 now.
Might be able to buy a newer car when I retire in 8 years time. (if I'm lucky!)

But you surely must have to put your foot on the brake to select a gear, so not that much difference in reality. Both procedures (manual or auto) will stop you driving into a dock at night.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
But you surely must have to put your foot on the brake to select a gear, so not that much difference in reality. Both procedures (manual or auto) will stop you driving into a dock night.
yes I will agree with that, but that's after the engine has been started, the yaris wouldn't actually start unless the clutch was in.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My driving instructor always told me to depress the clutch for starting. Presumably as the Ford Anglia didn’t have enough power in its starter to churn the gearbox particularly on cold days. The habit has stuck over the last 56 years.
There was a very valid reason on old vehicles. Many people did not trust the handbrake and would leave the car parked in gear. If they attempted to start the car while in gear, it could jump backward or forward resulting in injury or damage. It is still good practice however many people now drive automatics removing that necessity as the car does it all for you. LOL!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There was a very valid reason on old vehicles. Many people did not trust the handbrake and would leave the car parked in gear. If they attempted to start the car while in gear, it could jump backward or forward resulting in injury or damage. It is still good practice however many people now drive automatics removing that necessity as the car does it all for you. LOL!
Due to my Mobility issues and gross motor skills i require a automatic car

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts