Old caravan roof joint leaks

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
I need to repair the 3 roof joints on my 40yr old Bailey Maru. The trims are not screwed in but nailed! I didn't lift the black rubber seal far but all the nails I saw were of course rusty.

How can I put the trim back on after replacing the mastic when the remains of the nails will be blocking the holes, if you know what I mean?

Can I seal the nail in with something and put the trim back on top and drill new holes for screws?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Presumably you will be fitting new trim. It the wood it sound, it only needs the nails taken down to the surface. Use Sika 522 to fully bed the new trim and fix with stainless steel screws countersunk.

I am not sure where your rubber seal fits. Perhaps pictures would help.

John

Reactions: Este
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I need to repair the 3 roof joints on my 40yr old Bailey Maru. The trims are not screwed in but nailed! I didn't lift the black rubber seal far but all the nails I saw were of course rusty.

How can I put the trim back on after replacing the mastic when the remains of the nails will be blocking the holes, if you know what I mean?

Can I seal the nail in with something and put the trim back on top and drill new holes for screws?
It is quite common practice to install new non corrosive stainless screws into new trim with the holes away from the originals.

Reactions: Este
Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
Presumably you will be fitting new trim. It the wood it sound, it only needs the nails taken down to the surface. Use Sika 522 to fully bed the new trim and fix with stainless steel screws countersunk.

I am not sure where your rubber seal fits. Perhaps pictures would help.

John
Thanks! I was lead to understand that Sika 522 was not Judy a slant but made a permanent bond offering impossible to remove. If that's the case presumably it doesn't matter that the trim can't be removed if it's done well in the first place?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts