Old or redundant medication?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday I got the all clear for a serious issue which is very good news for me however now have a lot of medication that needs to disposed. Plus going through the cupboard where we normally keep our medication found a couple of boxes where the expiry date is well in the past. What do you do with medication that is no longer required?

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Great news you've been given an all clear, congratulations.
A neighbour was in a similar position with old no longer needed meds - I took them to the chemist for him who were happy to dispose of them. - (Perhaps give your local pharmacy a call to ask before doing this though, just in case.)

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just take it to your local Pharmacy and they will dispose of it properly I took tonnes of the stuff when I was emptying my father's flat. No problem at all. Although some pharmacies will not accept "sharps" for disposal even if unused and still packaged. So I put them in landfill but wrapped up.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just take it to your local Pharmacy and they will dispose of it properly I took tonnes of the stuff when I was emptying my father's flat. No problem at all. Although some pharmacies will not accept "sharps" for disposal even if unused and still packaged. So I put them in landfill but wrapped up.
Although there are some syringes they are not classed as "sharps".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Although there are some syringes they are not classed as "sharps".
Thats not something I was prepared to debate with the pharmacy staff not being medically qualified to spot the difference. Mine were out of date from an emergency medical kit. Our school nurse used sharps that were definitely not sharp.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thats probably because you are a patient who receives them My experience was in trying to dispose of out of date "sharps" contained in my emergency travel medical kit
Hi otherclive I took out of date sharps and tablets to my surgery and they still take them in

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Took redundant meds to Boots. They were happy to take them but I had to take the tablets out of their boxes ( but not out of their blister foil) as the boxes had my name etc on them.
Mel

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Our school nurse used sharps that were definitely not sharp.

I remember those "sharps" the nurse used when I was at school as well.
🤢

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our school nurse used sharps that were definitely not sharp.

I remember those "sharps" the nurse used when I was at school as well.
🤢
Off topic. In the movies they always seem to use a needle that looks like a 10" nail to inject and then the needle goes in several inches! Enough to make you run from any needle! LOL! 😆

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Took redundant meds to Boots. They were happy to take them but I had to take the tablets out of their boxes ( but not out of their blister foil) as the boxes had my name etc on them.
Mel
Hi Lady Mel That is worth knowing about redundant meds at Boots that is just around the corner from me nearer then the Doctors .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts