Older twin axle van model advice wanted.

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to get my first van for my expanding family. I have toured with a caravan before (I borrowed my grandparents Bailey Ranger for a trip to the Isle of Wight), I have plenty of experience towing trailers and the like (reversing is not an issue) and I have a suitable tow car (Jag X-type 2.2TD although i'm looking at getting a Nissan Navara crew cab for the other halfs run around).

I'm after a twin axle because I have read a lot about them being more stable to tow (obviously helped be correct loading and set up) and easier to reverse due to the tyre scrubbing which I can understand from experience with multi axle trailers. I also like the idea of the isurance of an extra wheel on each side in case of a blow out.

I'm after quite a specific layout. First of all I'm after double bunk for the kids (currently one but thats planned to change) this can be permanent or fold away, if its fold away it would be better if it was at the side of the van rather than the rear as I would keep it set up to save the hassle at the kids bed time and they can sleep in and keep out of the way (some of you might be thinking stick the kids in the awning (which is also on the list) but the current small one is too young and I plan to tour year round).
Second must have is a fixed double bed. Again this is a convienience so we don't have the hassle of literally building the bed at night and packing it away in the morning, this isn't as much of a priority as the bunk but it is still high on the list. I realise that this puts me in the range of a 6 berth as the seating at the front would also convert.

Third is the Must have items. Cassette Toilet, mains power, mains heating (blown air for weight reduction), mains water heating, flyscreens & black out blinds, gas oven, grill & hob, fridge (&freezer?),

Pretty much everything else like TV points, mains lighting, and periferal items I can either fit myself or arrange to be installed.

Van Weight, the kerb weight of my car is 2090kg, max tow is 1480kg, so if I can get a van with MTPLM around 1500kg I just have to make sure that I don't go over my total vehicle weight and I would have around a 75% match.

I'm looking at a model between 8 and 15 years old because of budget. However I don't mind paying a little more for something that gives peace of mind with regard to reliabilty (build quality in this case).

I've looked at a few vans on e-bay and autotrader but sellers just don't seem to give a full enough description of just don't know what they are saying. It has always been my philosophy that "if you don't know ask someone who does!" So I thought this forums wealth of experience might be able to suggest suitable makes and models.

I thank you for your time.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi there McG. The first thing that strikes me is that you do indeed have very specific requirements. Are all of these absolutely rigid? If so, I think you'll have great difficulty in getting exactly what you're after. I don't know of any older vans in the 6-berth, side dinette/bunks, plus fixed bed layout you describe......that's not to say there aren't any, just that we've never seen any in our 12-14 years of caravanning, visiting tons of dealers all over the country and looking in 100s of vans. Also, fridges tend to come with just an icebox, rather than a freezer, generally speaking. There are of course ones with a freezer - we had one, an Adria 642 UP t/a - but they take up so much room that there is almost certainly a compromise in space/equipment/layout. I would think your best bet is to scour the layout plans at the back of caravan magazines......these will give you an idea of whether the layout you describe actually exists. Then I would suggest visiting as many caravan dealers as you can and looking in loads and loads of vans......take a pad and pen with you, camera too would be useful as you will never remember which layout was in which van and at what dealers. I think you might have to revise your list and be prepared to compromise. It's great fun looking at loads of vans though, one of my favourite ways to spend an afternoon. Good luck!

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
They've said they want a fixed double bed, Rita - neither of those you've shown have one. But I think the layouts shown in those two you've found may well be what McG will have to look at (unless you know better? There's a challenge for you! ;o) hehe).

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there and especially mcgizct2,is the car the saloon or the estate version?.I don't think you will find that your car is the Kerbweight that you think it is!, 2090kgs. I think you will find it is way off the mark;and in any event The Maximum Tow is 1500kgs across the range.If you intend to look for a van with the spec you would like and find one; I think you will find that the MiRO is close to if not over your max' tow figure.This would leave you with no payload margin.
Oh, by the way; if you find one it will almost certainly be a Twin Axle and that is a 'back to the drawing board' situation I believe.

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all, the fixed double is a must, I can live without the bunks as the kids can sleep singles on the front seating and it will be pretty easy to pack away singles bedding, although a side dinette/fold away bunk would be better.

Jag is estate, i'm just going off the plate on the nearside front passenger compartment for vehicle (2090), axle and max gross weight (3540 or there abouts). The long term plan is to get a pickup to tow with as this will end up being the other halfs vehicle, I like the look of the Nissan Navara (early 2000's). She doesn't do much mileage as she is in walking distance of work and supermarket is only 5 minute drive away so 25-30mpg economy won't break the back for her every day mileage.

As for the other equipment in the van standard equipment is fine (if I need to I can alter thing with units from breakers) as long as it has the cassette loo, early models that i've seen have a porta potty and I ain't dragging one of those across a site.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Like Travelling Rooster says, I think you'll find that 2090kg is the maximum permissible gross vehicle weight, not the kerbweight. Kerbweight is not normally plated. 3540kg would then be the maximum permissible gross train weight, thus giving you a 3540 - 2090 = 1450kg max. towload. You'll be pushed to find many twin axle caravans with an MTPLM that doesn't exceed that. Besides, you'd then be likely to be getting a match that's close to or even over 100%.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
try this it seems to match your requirements I have pasted the add as I found it on the web I hope this does not break any forum rules just trying to help another caravanner

Head.gif

Bailey Ranger 620 S5 £10,799(Ref: 2007)

Berth
Year
Internal Length
6.27m / 20'7"
External Length
7.9m / 25'11"
Width
2.18m / 7'2"
Unladen Weight
1281 kg
MTPLM
1540 kg
Awning size
10.88 m
Warranty
2 year warranty
Spec Includes :- Fixed Bed, Fridge, Heater, Oven, Mains electric, Water heater, Cassette toilet, Shower, Battery Charger, Blinds, Loose fit carpets, Blownair heating, TV Aerial, Heki rooflight, Large rooflight, Spare wheel, 2 year warranty, Part exchange welcome,, Finance available subject to status written quotations available on request
Additional Details :- just arrived
Email us about this caravan on :
general@raymondiamescaravans.co.uk

a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
6FBFB01.gif

Library Photograph(s) of Bailey Ranger 620 6b 2008 S5

logo-22c5022.gif

Raymond James Caravans,
Atherstone,
Warwickshire,
CV9 1JE,
Tel: 02476 474747
Tel: 07738 168576

View all caravans from this dealer
db_maps_22c5022.gif

Disclaimer :- Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that the details and layout of this caravan are accurate, please check with the seller that the information is correct and that the caravan is still for sale before travelling.

Caravan Finder Ltd, PO Box 195, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP12 1BL
Tel: 01394 610 061 Email: sales@caravanfinder.co.uk
© Caravan Finder Ltd, 2010. All rights reserved. Please see our Terms of Use.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
dear Lutz

I based the caravan on the information written within the topic and you will see by the below that the match is plausible if the information supplied is correct I am therefore not sure why you are saying it is not

regards

john

Performance on levelled roads
4sterren.gif
Top speed
2sterren.gif
Usability 6th gear
4sterren.gif
Acceleration and take overPerformance in mountainous regions
5sterren.gif
Drive off uphill
5sterren.gif
Driving on motorway slopes
5sterren.gif
Driving on steep roads

Jaguar X-Type Saloon - 2.2 D (107 kW/143 bhp)
Date of manufacture: august 2005 - up to now

94%
1481 kg 1577 kg The match between car and caravan is plausible in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 94%.

The towing performances of this Jaguar with your Bailey are perfect (performance index = 100 km/h or 62 mph).

You may expect very lively performances from this outfit. On flat roads you can come along adequately, in which case top gear is applicable under favourable circumstances.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

21%

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
But the data above shows and MTPLM of 1481kg whereas the Raymond James ad quotes 1540kg. If the kerbweight (1577kg) is correct, then the ratio would be 98%, not 94%.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, with an MTPLM of 1690kg it would not only push the weight ratio to well over 100% but also the maximum permissible towload of his Jag would be exceeded by a substantial margin.
Trouble is, I fear that the type of layout that he is looking for ideally will inevitably result in a relatively big, and consequently heavy, caravan and even more so if a twin axle is high on his list of priorities. Maybe he would have a slightly better chance looking for a single axle one of about the same size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts