On our way to the Pyrenees-an update

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks

I thought you might like to hear how we are getting on. I am currently sitting on pitch 82 looking out over the lake at Camping de Sologne, Sarblis. This is our second night here and I am fortunate to be in range of the wi-fi in the bar/restaurant. It is a beautiful sunny evening and there are a couple of fairly tame copuys, I think they are, taking food from campers fingers. We had hoped to go a bit further but I suffered a migraine yesterday which effected my vision and meant that Cary had to drive most of that day.

We managed to get away early at c7.00pm Sunday 20 July, VERY unusual for us. We travelled M6, M6 Toll, M6 and M1 before overnighting at the services on m25 near Potters Bar. An early start the next morning meant that we were able to get around the M25 clockwise, a first for us, before the rush began in earnest. We then followed the A2, M2 and M20 down to Folkestone. We phoned ahead and booked at Little Switzerland at Capel Le Ferne and arrived there about 10.00am. The views from the site restaurant and really STUPENDOUS with views across the Channel to France and along the coast. We lazed around on Monday, did some last minute shopping and topped up the car with fuel. On Tuesday we spent most of the day visiting Dover Castle - very interesting and then wandered around the town. On Wednesday morning a leisurely drive to the Norfolk line Terminal only 20 mins away. Again an unusually early check in for the 10.00am ferry for us!! A very pleasant calm crossing on lovely sunny day sitting in the restaurant overlooking the bows.

A bit of a panic when arrived to drive off the ferry as the LED on the newly ATC was showing red rather than green. A quick check of the handbook whilst other drivers had to wait??!! behind us told us that it was safe to drive but to consult Alko. We stopped asap and phoned Alko who advised us that it was simply because voltage had dropped whilst 'van was parked up on ferry and that ATC had no reset itself. PHEWWWW.

We then followed the advice of others on this site and opted to drive via the coastal autoroute and Rouen. A diversion in Rouen caused some problems but we got out the other side and stopped at Le Bec Hellouin for a couple of nights. A pleasant night halt with a lot of other UK 'vans there. We walked down into the village on Thursday but the path was very rough and stoney and VERY steep on the way back. The village itself is very picturesque with lots of half-timbered houses but we gave the large Abbey a miss.

Friday we journeyed on the autoroute via Le Mans and Tours. New Kia Sorento proving an excellent towcar but only managing c 19miles to the gallon on cruise control at a steady 60mph. Newly fitted Alko ATC and shock absorbers complementing our Snakemaster stabiliser to give us VERY STABLE ride. As I said at the beginning a migraine curtailed my driving somewhat and we decided to stop at Sarblis as previously recommended on this site. I, also, bought the newly issued Alan Rogers' POIs for Europe for our Tom Tom Sat Nav the day before we left and that is proving very helpful. The autoroute west of Tours was all new and not on the TT map so it was quite amusing to watch us supposedly ploughing across fields and through rivers whilst the voice advised us turn off every time we went UNDER or OVER another road on the autoroute.

Tomorrow it is onwards towards my sister's new home in the Pyrenees near St Giron. We are planning to stay at either Salies du Salat or Aspet when we have sussed them out a little. We may not make it that far tomorrow as it is c350 miles, although it should be quite on Sunday with no lorries. Cary has her eye on a halt at Camping La Riviere in Donzenac or we may revert to our old habit of a night halt at an autoroute aire.

Any suggestions about sites enroute or near our destination are still VERY WELCOME. I'll check the web sometime tomorrow for any replies!!

Best wishes

Tim

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Glad you're having a good time Tim. Not sure I would have topped up my fuel tank in the UK at silly prices, it may only be a bit cheaper in france now but at 19mpg every little bit helps.

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Glad you're having a good time Tim. Not sure I would have topped up my fuel tank in the UK at silly prices, it may only be a bit cheaper in france now but at 19mpg every little bit helps.
Tim

Wish we were still there! We were in Pyrennees around 20 - 26 July, staying at Camping Le Bergons at Luz St Saveur south of Lourdes. Excellent quiet site, very friendly, French speaking only. Beautiful area - Cirque de Gavarnie 20km south. We get about 26mpg from our diesel CRV pulling 1500kg Senator Indiana, which I reckon ain't too bad!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim

Wish we were still there! We were in Pyrennees around 20 - 26 July, staying at Camping Le Bergons at Luz St Saveur south of Lourdes. Excellent quiet site, very friendly, French speaking only. Beautiful area - Cirque de Gavarnie 20km south. We get about 26mpg from our diesel CRV pulling 1500kg Senator Indiana, which I reckon ain't too bad!
Hi Folks

Now staying at Camping Du Lac in the mountains above Argeles Gazost Haut Pyrenees. A quiet site but we've been given a rather sloping pitch which took a lot of ingenuity to get a level van. Weather is variable cloudy today but when visited my sister's new house on Wed it was 32C and we spent a lot of time in their pool!! ( how the other half live!!!).

Thanks for the tips Vic M2. We are hoping to do some driving, walking and cable car-ing over the next week. We took the cable car from Louchon to Superbagnieres on Tuesday and walked along the ridge for a few miles. A good walking day some cloud so not too hot. We saw a number of golden eagles 2 circled really close - thought we were on their menu for a moment there!

Re the diesil price on the M1motorway it was that or run out of fuel - we started with a full tank from St Helens.

Anyway I'd better go as I'm using a computer shop offering 30 free mins wi-fi sitting in the town square at Argeles Gazost.

Best wishes Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks

Now staying at Camping Du Lac in the mountains above Argeles Gazost Haut Pyrenees. A quiet site but we've been given a rather sloping pitch which took a lot of ingenuity to get a level van. Weather is variable cloudy today but when visited my sister's new house on Wed it was 32C and we spent a lot of time in their pool!! ( how the other half live!!!).

Thanks for the tips Vic M2. We are hoping to do some driving, walking and cable car-ing over the next week. We took the cable car from Louchon to Superbagnieres on Tuesday and walked along the ridge for a few miles. A good walking day some cloud so not too hot. We saw a number of golden eagles 2 circled really close - thought we were on their menu for a moment there!

Re the diesil price on the M1motorway it was that or run out of fuel - we started with a full tank from St Helens.

Anyway I'd better go as I'm using a computer shop offering 30 free mins wi-fi sitting in the town square at Argeles Gazost.

Best wishes Tim

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

So this taking your computer is good stuff then?

As you are sitting there using your computer, we are thinking of getting a lap top to take with us. But, I know nothing about what you need to get going and connecting when in France. Can you give me step by step idiot guide to camping with a lap and connections?

At the moment I am using a router that's all I know!!!

Many thaks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Smiley

the computer is very useful for banking, getting info of all sorts both local and otherwise. I do my banking, etc to. Handy for email communications too.

We take a laptop and look for wi-fi points. Some are chargeable but so far we have avoided paying for these. We have used a computer shop which offered free wi fi and picnic tables to sit at in Argeles Gazost, free wi-fi link for campers in the bar at Camping Sologne at Sarblis and at this moment free wi fi link in the Tourist info at Portes en Re on Ile de Re. The computer is equipped with a wi-fi card and that is the only extra we needed. A French socket adaptor may be useful in places where you can plug in the computer as the internal battery only lasts for c an hour. I have an inverter to plug into the car so that I can use the computer in the car. We, also, use the computer for editing my digital photos, watching DVDs in English when we feel homesick and looking at DVD based campsite guides.#

Best wishes

Tim

Best wishes

Tim

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Smiley

Just to add to what Tim has just said:

It is very easy to get on line through wi-fi when travelling:

If you buy a new lap-top it will come with a wi-fi card ready installed, and will have the Windows Vista operating system.

Switch it on and wait until it gets itself up and running. Then click on the start button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Then click on the "connect to" button on the menu that opens up. It will then tell you if there are any available wireless networks in range, and a little bar indicator will tell you the strength of signal. If there is a network with reasonable strength, click on it. It will then either connect you and tell you you are connected, or it will ask for a user name and password. If the latter, you can go to the campsite reception (or other owner)and ask for these codes, which may involve paying a fee. Enter the codes and you should then be connected.

Once connected you can open up your browser in the same way as you do at home.

Wi-fi is developing very quickly and is notably better and more readily available, particularly on European campsites, than even a year ago. Mind you there are also some that try to exploit the system and charge an exhorbitant connection fee. Best to avoid those and politely let them know that they are too exensive.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to break in on your thread Tim - back to you.

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts