One Shot nut..To mineral grease or not to mineral grease help

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi,I have searched high and low for the correct answer to the question if to to grease the thread (small amount of mineral grease) of the one-shot-nut thread or not to and if so what type of mineral grease? I have a 2001 Bailey 510-4 birth with Alko chassis and have to change all tyres and wanted to clean the brake, dust etc..I would be very grateful of any help!

Kind Regards

PandaP1180677.jpg alko.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Panda,
I assume you have a torque wrench capable of tightening your new one-shot nuts up to the required setting of 290nm +/- 10nm
I do not apply any grease to either the one-shot nut threads or the wheel bolt threads - you do not want to give them any help to come loose.

Regards

Reactions: Panda's Caravan

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As has been said, you would need a torque wrench capable of tightening the nut to 290nm.
Also, as the name suggests, the hub nut is one shot, so it must NOT be reused once removed.

As for grease, no, there is no need.

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Panda,
I assume you have a torque wrench capable of tightening your new one-shot nuts up to the required setting of 290nm +/- 10nm
I do not apply any grease to either the one-shot nut threads or the wheel bolt threads - you do not want to give them any help to come loose.

Regards
Hi, yes I have invested in the right tool after finding out my regular T.W would not reach such dizzy heights:) What I find strange is nearly everyone I have asked gave the same answer Not to add anything to the nut or thread..Alko state to add a small amount of "Alko Mineral Grease"..With such an important area to get 100% correct I'd expect it to be clearer for all!

Thank you for your help,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know Al-Ko say to use their grease, but they don't use anything themselves, and in all the years I have been working on caravans I have never used any grease on them , or the wheel bolts.

Also worth noting, you will need a long breaker bar with the correct size socket to take the nut off.

Do NOT try using the torque wrench to slacken the nut.

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
I know Al-Ko say to use their grease, but they don't use anything themselves, and in all the years I have been working on caravans I have never used any grease on them , or the wheel bolts.

Also worth noting, you will need a long breaker bar with the correct size socket to take the nut off.

Do NOT try using the torque wrench to slacken the nut.
Thanks for confirming that, Damian! I have all the kit ready to do the job ...Just deciding on which tyres to buy:)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Depending on the wheel size and your makers tyre spec I would go got a light truck commercial tyre. They are extensively used by delivery van drivers and are robust. I use Hankook Vantra LT On previous vans I’ve used Kenda Kargo or GT Radial Kargomax ST4000/6000 series tyres made specifically for trailer use and embossed accordingly on the sidewall.

If you bought a mainstream tyre like Hankook you will find it newer as the tyre supplier will run stock through more quickly. My last Hankook we’re less than three months old on delivery.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Depending on the wheel size and your makers tyre spec I would go got a light truck commercial tyre. They are extensively used by delivery van drivers and are robust. I use Hankook Vantra LT On previous vans I’ve used Kenda Kargo or GT Radial Kargomax ST4000/6000 series tyres made specifically for trailer use and embossed accordingly on the sidewall.

If you bought a mainstream tyre like Hankook you will find it newer as the tyre supplier will run stock through more quickly. My last Hankook we’re less than three months old on delivery.
That's a good point on how new (DOT) tyres.I had a body come and put new but
Hi,I have searched high and low for the correct answer to the question if to to grease the thread (small amount of mineral grease) of the one-shot-nut thread or not to and if so what type of mineral grease? I have a 2001 Bailey 510-4 birth with Alko chassis and have to change all tyres and wanted to clean the brake, dust etc..I would be very grateful of any help!

Kind Regards

PandaView attachment 73
I received a message today from the Alko Product Manager stating "
Good Afternoon

Please see below email we have received from Alko today regarding this matter.

"I have spoken to the production manager and he has said that no they shouldn’t be greased as that will affect the torque. "

Thank you to all who stated this to be the case....You would think when such information is printed in a Alko service sheet it would be correct!!!

Reactions: otherclive

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.You would think when such information is printed in a Alko service sheet it would be correct!!!

I agree, but what you have to remember is that the manual was written years ago when this type of nut was first introduced, and at that time Al-Ko did indeed use a mineral grease.

It was later found that by using the grease , the torque figure was massively wrong and the hub nuts were too tight.
Unfortunately, despite then stopping using the grease, they had printed so many handbooks that it was too costly to bin them and produce new ones, with the right advice .

In all the time I have been working on Al-KO equipment, I was never able to get any of the "special mineral grease" they said to use !!!!!!

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
I agree, but what you have to remember is that the manual was written years ago when this type of nut was first introduced, and at that time Al-Ko did indeed use a mineral grease.

It was later found that by using the grease , the torque figure was massively wrong and the hub nuts were too tight.
Unfortunately, despite then stopping using the grease, they had printed so many handbooks that it was too costly to bin them and produce new ones, with the right advice .

In all the time I have been working on Al-KO equipment, I was never able to get any of the "special mineral grease" they said to use !!!!!!
Thanks for this info...Maybe others who read this will not make the same mistake I nearly did before using an alternative m,g ...Thanks not only to you but others I have spoken to over the past few days on here! Now to get some tyres,brass valves,and change these new but out of date perished tyres I was sold...I now no how to read the Tyre wall( DOT) to make sure I don't get old new tyres again:)

Regards

Reactions: Damian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts