Options regarding ongoing problems

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
I purchased Elddis crusader zephyr brand new in 2017.
On first service 2018 the starview skylight had to be refitted due to an adhesion issue, also mudguard trim and awning skirt rail had to be revealed due to them coming away.
The 2019 service revealed damp above front windows caused by the window rail coming away, this had to be revealed.
The 2020 service revealed a puddle of water in one of the overhead lockers and high levels of damp in the wall panel, the sealant had totaly deteriorated between the wall panel/offside awning rail/roof.
This required the awning rail replacement and revealed.
2021 service .. more damp above door this time caused by water ingress via awning light seal deterioration . Also the sealant round the exterior lockers has perished whereby you can slide a piece of paper between the trim and the wall panel.
The general condition of the sealant all over the caravan is "chalky" and seems porous, if you run your nail along it you get chalky deposits on you finger .
I'm in the process of a complaint as I have no confidence in the longevity of the sealant and am convinced the sealant used during manufacture is defective, either put of date , applied incorrectly or stored in the wrong conditions.

Thinking of rejecting caravan ?
Anyone help out with my options .

Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Where it says revealed should say re- sealed
Buckman successfully rejected a caravan but I think his was younger than yours. He obtained advise from Which Legal Services.

You could start by studying CRA 2015 Citizens Advice website, and reviewing all of your records of dialogue with the dealer. Establish the timelines and discussions and actions. Did you pay anything on deposit for the purchase using a credit card. If so above the defined limit ( around £100 ish) the Article 75 gives the buyer protection via the credit card issuer.

Given the age of the caravan it’s not so straightforward as with a newer problematic caravan. But the time limits on CRA 2015 are valid in your case. If going down this route keep meticulous records of dialogue with the dealership.

First,y speak to the dealership after studying CRA 2015. Make your concern clear both verbally and in writing. Then see what their response is before subsequent action.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
One other complication is that I purchased the caravan from the caravan shoe in liverpool , but knowing the dealer was based in Oxfordshire, my local elddis dealer has carried put all the warranty work up to now, so havnt really dealt with the dealer I bought it off because the problems happened one by one, I've reached a point now where the number of problems are unacceptable . I contacted the dealer I bought it off who told me to write a letter to Elddis .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One other complication is that I purchased the caravan from the caravan shoe in liverpool , but knowing the dealer was based in Oxfordshire, my local elddis dealer has carried put all the warranty work up to now, so havnt really dealt with the dealer I bought it off because the problems happened one by one, I've reached a point now where the number of problems are unacceptable . I contacted the dealer I bought it off who told me to write a letter to Elddis .
That’s a typical response but your contract was with the dealer and CRA 2015 sees it that way. If you use CRA 2015 your complaint is to the dealer. I would lay out your problems in chronological order and how they were dealt with and the outcome. Send the letter by recorded delivery stating clearly what your expectations are and the given timescale you resolve them.

Given this is a long ongoing series of problems together with another dealership carrying out work it’s not straightforward. I’d strongly recommend talking to Which Legal Services initially then pay for ongoing legal support. Given the value of your complaint the subscription is small for the service offered.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am afraid that you will have great difficulty rejecting the caravan as all the servicing was done by a third party even though they were an authorised agent for Elddis. Your contract is with the supplier and not the third party and this is where the problem lies. Even if you were successful at rejection, after 4 years you only get a part refund. As mentioned by Clive your best option to to contact Which Legal Services and chat with them.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with Buckman in that you will have great difficulty if it is possible at all to reject the caravan. The fact the selling dealer did not service it, but another Eldiss dealer did is to me irrelevant. Certainly as far as Eldiss are concerned the warranty terms are not breached by that.
Legally you can only reject it and get all your money back within the first 30 days if it has faults from the outset and within six months if faults develop and they are not repaired satisfactorily. This caravan looks to be a total disaster and there is still the chance of substantial damages but with a deduction for the use you have had, but an outright rejection looks too much to expect.
If you used a credit card or HP for any part of the purchase then you will also have a claim against the finance company(s) and you should inform them of the problems so they can investigate.
That apart, given the sums involved, possibly a solicitors advice is wise, although if you are a member of either of the two big clubs you could try their legal helpline first as it is free.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do agree with Buckman in that you will have great difficulty if it is possible at all to reject the caravan. The fact the selling dealer did not service it, but another Eldiss dealer did is to me irrelevant. Certainly as far as Eldiss are concerned the warranty terms are not breached by that.
Legally you can only reject it and get all your money back within the first 30 days if it has faults from the outset and within six months if faults develop and they are not repaired satisfactorily. This caravan looks to be a total disaster and there is still the chance of substantial damages but with a deduction for the use you have had, but an outright rejection looks too much to expect.
If you used a credit card or HP for any part of the purchase then you will also have a claim against the finance company(s) and you should inform them of the problems so they can investigate.
That apart, given the sums involved, possibly a solicitors advice is wise, although if you are a member of either of the two big clubs you could try their legal helpline first as it is free.
Correction on your first paragraph. Rejection is under CRA 2015 so warranty does not come into it at all. Contract is with supplier and tht supplier could argue that the third party never did the work correctly and they would possibly have good grounds to walk away from any obligations.
In the meantime you are caught as the "piggy in the middle" while a dispute rages on between supplier and third party as it is of no concern to Elddis. In this case I strongly recommend proper legal advice and not from a forum.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is an unfortunate problem for the OP, but buying caravan, unlike a car, from a remote dealership brings significant disadvantages when problems arise. At least with a car under warranty any franchise can deal with it, but even there if you have a 'rare' brand it can still bring some inconvenience to have it serviced or repaired.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts